Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Alternative to alter pillars, HELP!

Hi there! 

I've been on the hunt for 2 pedestals to place on either side of the alter to put large floral arrangements. All I can find are ionic column rentals which doesn't particularly go with the way I have envisioned the wedding. Has anyone done something different or have any ideas? Particularly nothing crazy expensive (I've got bigger things to spend my budget on! ha) 

Re: Alternative to alter pillars, HELP!

• Hi there! 

I've been on the hunt for 2 pedestals to place on either side of the alter to put large floral arrangements. All I can find are ionic column rentals which doesn't particularly go with the way I have envisioned the wedding. Has anyone done something different or have any ideas? Particularly nothing crazy expensive (I've got bigger things to spend my budget on! ha) 
    Have you checked with the church to see if they have something you might be able to use? I am a parishioner at a Roman Catholic parish and know that the church has decor items it owns to decorate around the altar for the various seasons.
  • My wedding actually isn't at a church, but part of our reception venue so outside of tables and chairs, I've got to find all the decorations. In hindsight, I've heard churches have a ton of decor and wish I had considered it further. 
  • Not sure where you live but I just googled pillar rentals for weddings and got a ton of hits for a variety of different pillars. I would try every rental company in your area. You could also ask a local church if they would be interested in renting you pillars.

You could easily make by nailing together 2x4s, putting a square piece of wood on top and bottom and then painting whatever colour you want. Shouldn't be more than $100 and a few hours of your time.

• My wedding actually isn't at a church, but part of our reception venue so outside of tables and chairs, I've got to find all the decorations. In hindsight, I've heard churches have a ton of decor and wish I had considered it further. 
    You threw me off by using the term "altar." You won't actually have an altar that you are decorating around.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    Also, check funeral homes.  They have been displaying floral arrangements for years!  Huge floral displays  used to be more common at funerals than they are these days.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Ditto ernursej. If there's literally  not one style of pillar you can rent, then you have to look into buying or DIY.

What look are you going for? if it's rustic, you could use apple crates. If it's modern, you could use simple wire plant holders (check Home Depot). 
    *********************************************************************************

• edited March 2017
    Try searching Amazon for 'plant stands,' rather than 'pedestals.' There's a wide range in price and style.
    You could buy two trees from your local garden center to flank your ceremony space and plant them after your wedding.