Chit Chat

Poll: Gift Certificate giving

When you purchase a gift certificate for someone, that's of a substantial value and is a service that involves tipping (a salon....so let's say $50 and above) - do you also include money for the tip? 

Re: Poll: Gift Certificate giving

• When you purchase a gift certificate for someone, that's of a substantial value and is a service that involves tipping (a salon....so let's say $50 and above) - do you also include money for the tip? 

Yes, always. 
  • Typically. It's easier when you get a packaged deal, that way you know price and can get amount accordingly. I also mention on the g.c that tip is included into the g.c amount
  • I wouldn't have, but then I've also never given a g.c like that and more wouldn't have thought of it, than purposely not included a tip.

The closest I've come is giving a g.c. for a restaurant.  And I just get a g.c. for the amount I want to gift, ie $25 or $50.  But I appreciate that is different than a g.c. for something where the service is already a specific amount, ie a massage or facial. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I get my mom pedicure gift cards, but we always go together so I just give the tip for both of us. I've also run into places that won't let you use the gift card for the tip. If it was a gift card for a spa that does multiple services, I wouldn't find it odd. If it was for a specific service, yeah include the tip.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I've only ever given a gift certificate for a dollar amount, but I do try to consider how much the tip will be and include that in the total amount.

If it is a specific service, I would ask if you can cover the tip with your purchase of GC.
  • I get my mom pedicure gift cards, but we always go together so I just give the tip for both of us. I've also run into places that won't let you use the gift card for the tip. If it was a gift card for a spa that does multiple services, I wouldn't find it odd. If it was for a specific service, yeah include the tip.
    This^^  It did not dawn on me the first time I did this that a salon might have this policy.  The recipient of my gift card was left with a balance that was insufficient for a second service.  Now I always make sure to check their gratuity policy before gifting.
  • no, though i've only given gift certificates for buying someting, not services of the kind