Honeymoon Discussions

cheap getaway in th US

Jstump2Jstump2 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited March 2017 in Honeymoon Discussions
Not for a honeymoon but H and I want to plan a vacation with 2 other couples. We live in Northeast OH and our looking for reasonably priced vacation destination (about 2-2.5 grand a couple) Initially we had talked about going to a resort in Mexico but with zika and plans to get pregnant in the near future want to stay more local. We thought about just getting a cabin in Southern Ohio but want somewhere with a little more to do.

Re: cheap getaway in th US

• What time of the year are you going? Is there anything specific you'd like to do? 

Here are some ideas:
    Newport, RI 
    Catskills in NY 
    Poconos in PA 
    LBI in New Jersey 
    Montauk/Hamptons NY 
    Outer Banks, NC 
    Asheville, NC 
    New Orleans 
    Key West 
    Hilton Head Island, SC 

• The Berkshires in western Massachusetts are incredible in both summer and fall. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    If you are looking for a summer beach place, Historic Cape May, New Jersey has awesome Victorian architecture.  Prices would depend on when you want to go.  There are also some interesting historic sites within a few hours drive, like the Wheaton Village Glass Museum, where you can see glass makers at work, or Hagley Museum, near Wilmington, DE.  This is where the Dupont family manufactured gun powder after the American Revolution, and they still have the old machines working and on display.  My son was fascinated!

Image result for image Cape May
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Are you looking for a cabin/relaxed vacation or hotel with lots of things to do vacation?
  • Colorado is never bad.
  • CMGragain said:
    If you are looking for a summer beach place, Historic Cape May, New Jersey has awesome Victorian architecture.  Prices would depend on when you want to go.  There are also some interesting historic sites within a few hours drive, like the Wheaton Village Glass Museum, where you can see glass makers at work, or Hagley Museum, near Wilmington, DE.  This is where the Dupont family manufactured gun powder after the American Revolution, and they still have the old machines working and on display.  My son was fascinated!

Image result for image Cape May
    I've only been to Cape May once but I loved it and would absolutely go back someday. It's really the best of both worlds - there are things to do in the area (especially if you like history), but you can also just relax on a beautiful beach if that's more your thing. I would especially recommend the Physick Estate and Historic Cold Spring Village.
  • I would recommend the Outer Banks, NC if you're looking for beaches/water sports and relaxation; Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA if you're looking for history. Asheville, NC is great for food/drinks/beer and great coffee, good music and hiking nearby.