Snarky Brides

How is this a thing?

Okay I know the wedding industry is ridiculous, but really? A coach for the best man speech?!

Re: How is this a thing?

• I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head.
  • Maybe an idea spawned from the frequency of horrible best man speeches?  Still ridiculous, but I've also cringed at enough truly embarrassing toasts that I think some of those speech-givers could have used a coach (and possibly a good smack upside the head) 
  • MOHs can be just as horrifying. I recently attended a wedding where the MOH speech included referring to the bride at least thrice by an embarrassing and profane nickname.  I caught a glimpse of the grandmothers in attendance and it was obvious they were both uncomfortable and embarrassed for the bride as well. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That's ridiculous.  Ugh I hate when the BM or MOH give a "speech" anyway...can't everyone just toast?

My wedding-related FB eye roll this week is that one of my friends that's a "lularoe CEO" as she calls herself is now trying to get brides to give leggings as BM gifts. "I have tons of unique styles for each girl...or get them all matching as a momento!!""  :#
  • I don't get the eye rolling at this. Lots of people struggle with public speaking. Making a speech at an important occasion can be really hard. If public speech coaches want to also market themselves to this specific occasion, why not? Unlike most other wedding nonsense you're learning a useful skill. 
  • mollybarker11mollybarker11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2017
    Yeah this strikes me as most things within the Wedding Industrial Complex. Public speaking coaches are already out there, and if they say it's for weddings they can charge even more for it.
  • Sure if people want to pay $600 an hour to be taught how to be a best man and write a speech that's fine, but I'm still going to side eye that. 

I get public speaking can be difficult for many people, I'm not snarking on that. I'm snarling on the fact someone is charging between $200-600 PER HOUR for what should be a toast (not speech) at a wedding.

Also, many, many community groups teaching public speaking for free not to mention anyone can audit public colleges for free, so yah I'll side eye people paying that kind of money for something they could get for free. 
  • I think this would be good if someone WANTS to make a speech but can't get the words together, or isn't good at public speaking.

It could go either way tbh
  • eileenrob said:
    That's ridiculous.  Ugh I hate when the BM or MOH give a "speech" anyway...can't everyone just toast?

My wedding-related FB eye roll this week is that one of my friends that's a "lularoe CEO" as she calls herself is now trying to get brides to give leggings as BM gifts. "I have tons of unique styles for each girl...or get them all matching as a momento!!""  :#
    I love Lularoe leggings and so do most of my friends, but have you ever tried to get two alike??? That doesn't work. This "Lularoe CEO" needs to learn her business better.
  • knottiejknottiej member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2017
    Tangent.... I hate LLR everything. The clothes are cheaply made, they're not versatile (like I can't wear that stuff to work), they're expensive for what they are, and they can't go in the dryer. Any casual/lounge clothes that can't go in the dryer are a no go for me. 

Also and in general, I am SO sick of people on facebook selling LLR, or roden and fields or shakeology or pink zebra or whatthefuckever they're peddling. I have unfollowed/unfriended an astounding number of people over this.
    Isn't it all just a MLM?
  • I love LLR, I'm wearing one of the dresses right now. I think it's super comfy and I've never had a problem with the quality or construction (although I don't really wear the leggings). IDK about the expenses, I mainly wear the dresses for work, and I'd pay the same for a department store work dress. 
  • Tangent.... I hate LLR everything. The clothes are cheaply made, they're not versatile (like I can't wear that stuff to work), they're expensive for what they are, and they can't go in the dryer. Any casual/lounge clothes that can't go in the dryer are a no go for me. 

Also and in general, I am SO sick of people on facebook selling LLR, or roden and fields or shakeology or pink zebra or whatthefuckever they're peddling. I have unfollowed/unfriended an astounding number of people over this.
    They're definitely polarizing, you either love them or hate them! I have several friends who sell different stuff and one of them hardly ever posts, another has a group and doesn't mind if people leave, another has switched from posting about her life to posting about her product and it's driving me crazy. I want to unfollow her, but then I'm afraid I'll miss pictures of her kiddos.
  • eileenrob said:

If all the girls were into leggings, that's one thing. I use to sell tea and if all my girls were into tea then I would have gifted them something tea related. Only 2 were into tea, so I gave them a few samples.
    One of my other BMs sells Younique, so I was gonna buy a lip for each of the girls and double checked what colour they'd like before buying.
  • Side note; 3 people sell leggings on my fb right now. Only one sells through a company that has more than just leggings - like tops, dresses, etc - and I like leggings but I may buy something else as well. Like a maxi skirt.
  • Going back to the original post, I really dig the mismatched lanterns and the colorful flowers combined. That's something I haven't seen before (granted, I've stayed off Pinterest). 

• Going back to the original post, I really dig the mismatched lanterns and the colorful flowers combined. That's something I haven't seen before (granted, I've stayed off Pinterest). 

I do too! It reminds me of the wedding scene in Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    eileenrob said:

I love Lularoe leggings and so do most of my friends, but have you ever tried to get two alike??? That doesn't work. This "Lularoe CEO" needs to learn her business better.
    Tangent.... I hate LLR everything. The clothes are cheaply made, they're not versatile (like I can't wear that stuff to work), they're expensive for what they are, and they can't go in the dryer. Any casual/lounge clothes that can't go in the dryer are a no go for me. 

Yeah, I'm kind of over the constant harassment over lularoe.  Two of my friends will add me to their group, I'll leave the group, they'll add me again within seconds, I'll leave right away..it's like a tennis match.  I admire side-hustle but if your LLR, Marykay, pampered chef is hitting me over the head I'm not happy.

No comment on the actual quality of LLR...im disinterested simply because (maybe it's just my area) the leggings are all you see.  No exaggeration, 90% of the moms at my twins' mommy and me class, at older DD's nursery school, at the Bounce park, etc. wear baggy black tops and those crazy pattern leggings.  It's like the 30s version of my college years when I didn't like the Von Dutch hats to begin with, then everyone wore them everywhere I went and I hated them even more  :s
  • @thisismynickname, I disagree a bit.  I would call someone who sells items as an independent contractor (or whatever the agreement is) as self-employed.  It might be more, and usually is, a side-gig income.  But its still self employment.  It just might not be very fruitful self employment.  Though I have an acquaintance who's been selling Mary Kay since the early 80s...so, needless to say she has a huge clientele...and she makes about $60K/year, part-time.

With that said, nobody "deserves" support.  Sure.  If  friend is MLMing and has an item(s) I want to buy anyway, OF COURSE I'll buy that item from my friend.  But unless they are MLMing stuff I actually need...like electricity or car insurance...it's doubtful I'll buy anything.  Because I already have too much clutter.  I don't need more "crap".  And I'm not buying something I don't really need just to "support my friend's business".  That's ridiculous.

And the same is true if they opened a brick/mortar store.

---------------------------------------------------------------

On a different note.  I might get flamed for this but, unless a person is going to the gym or something, I don't think leggings are appropriate public wear.  I think they're just too casual and find them more akin to wearing pajamas in public.   I know I'm in the minority!  But I can't help it.  I'm also biased because I can't stand to wear leggings myself.  I actually don't find them comfortable at all.  To me, they feel more like wearing thick pantyhose, than something comfy I want to lounge around in.  Like sweats (also not something I'd wear in public, unless I'm exercising).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:

Yeah, I'm kind of over the constant harassment over lularoe.  Two of my friends will add me to their group, I'll leave the group, they'll add me again within seconds, I'll leave right away..it's like a tennis match.  I admire side-hustle but if your LLR, Marykay, pampered chef is hitting me over the head I'm not happy.

No comment on the actual quality of LLR...im disinterested simply because (maybe it's just my area) the leggings are all you see.  No exaggeration, 90% of the moms at my twins' mommy and me class, at older DD's nursery school, at the Bounce park, etc. wear baggy black tops and those crazy pattern leggings.  It's like the 30s version of my college years when I didn't like the Von Dutch hats to begin with, then everyone wore them everywhere I went and I hated them even more  :s

Ewwww y'all I just saw something on Facebook about these. It was a long-winded post about how, to paraphrase, "We should support our friends who sell [whatever] because they're self-employedIf our friend opened a cafe, or a bookstore, or a jewelry shop in our local town, we'd go support them right? Well this is the same thing!" Then the post listed every single one of these companies with a space for a name of a friend/acquaintance who sold the product.
    No it's not the same as self-employed. The LLR, Scentsy, MaryKay, whoever person is not self-employed. It is not the same thing as opening a cafe! You become nothing but a salesperson for some huge-ass corporation. No way is this like being self-employed, because you didn't front tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands (and a business loan) to start selling make-up or leggings, not to mention you don't deal with corporate taxes, employment taxes, health insurance, building codes, etc etc etc. Maybe I'm starting to fly off the handle but I think it's insulting to call these multi-level marketing salespeople "self-employed."  
    I agree that it's not the same as self-employed. At all. I rolled my eyes hard when LLR consultants were marketing themselves on "Small Business Saturday". Mmmkay. That's like a Jimmy John's franchise owner telling people it's a local restaurant. 

To the bolded though, the starter kit and inventory to start up a LLR business IS thousands of dollars. 

IMHO, LLR is just another typical, predatory pyramid scheme that promises women they can "have it all", work their own hours, from home (or wherever!), and make as much as the 9-5 grind. There was a surge in LLR consultants in the last year and it totally saturated the market (around me anyway). About half that I know discontinued selling and lost thousands of dollars. Those that continue complain that, despite being "all in", they're barely breaking even. Of course, LLR tells them it's because they aren't working hard enough or that they need to try new methods of selling. Their story is that the market is way to saturated with consultants, they're putting much more than 40 hours a week, and still having to hustle hard just to break even. 

There's a really good documentary on these types of businesses called Betting on Zero. It focuses on one particular product, Herbalife, but the message is that the essence is the same for these types of business models. 
    *********************************************************************************

• If you're going to partake in a MLM deal then you need to have a separate "business" FB page. Then, people who actually want to see your shit get to all they want, you can add people who you really don't want to see your personal pictures and pics of your kids on your real FB, and you won't annoy the hell out of your friends and family. 

• @thisismynickname, I disagree a bit.  I would call someone who sells items as an independent contractor (or whatever the agreement is) as self-employed.  It might be more, and usually is, a side-gig income.  But its still self employment.  It just might not be very fruitful self employment.  Though I have an acquaintance who's been selling Mary Kay since the early 80s...so, needless to say she has a huge clientele...and she makes about $60K/year, part-time.

With that said, nobody "deserves" support.  Sure.  If  friend is MLMing and has an item(s) I want to buy anyway, OF COURSE I'll buy that item from my friend.  But unless they are MLMing stuff I actually need...like electricity or car insurance...it's doubtful I'll buy anything.  Because I already have too much clutter.  I don't need more "crap".  And I'm not buying something I don't really need just to "support my friend's business".  That's ridiculous.

And the same is true if they opened a brick/mortar store.

---------------------------------------------------------------

On a different note.  I might get flamed for this but, unless a person is going to the gym or something, I don't think leggings are appropriate public wear.  I think they're just too casual and find them more akin to wearing pajamas in public.   I know I'm in the minority!  But I can't help it.  I'm also biased because I can't stand to wear leggings myself.  I actually don't find them comfortable at all.  To me, they feel more like wearing thick pantyhose, than something comfy I want to lounge around in.  Like sweats (also not something I'd wear in public, unless I'm exercising).

I'm with you girl!  I have 4 pairs of LLR leggings.  I'm super competitive and like to win contests, so they were all free or seriously discounted.  I wear them around the house playing with my son, to walk the dog, and to bed if it's too darn cold in our bedroom to sleep sans pantalones. 

I know a ton of people who wear them all the time as pants.  To each her own I guess.  I have a couple of the shirts and a skirt though (that I really love)

• levioosa said:
    If you're going to partake in a MLM deal then you need to have a separate "business" FB page. Then, people who actually want to see your shit get to all they want, you can add people who you really don't want to see your personal pictures and pics of your kids on your real FB, and you won't annoy the hell out of your friends and family. 

Stop making perfect sense!

Of course, that isn't what the MLM companies teach.

1. Start with telling ALL your friends and family about this amazing product!  They can't help but buy from you because it is so (insert reasons why it is the best thing since sliced bread).  Then tell them all again.  And again.
    2. Then they'll tell their friends and family!  Because its soooooooooooooo good.  You know that referrals are the best advertisement.
    3. Pretty soon, people will be knocking down your door to buy these amazing candles/vitamin supplements/leggings/make-up.
    4. Sit back in your pink Cadillac* counting all the money you're making...just by helping your friends buy the products you know they want.

*Nowadays that company (cough, cough...Mary Kay) has upped their game and gives away white Escalades.  With my p/t job, I happened to pop into a hotel with a MK convention going on.  There were three of those white Escalades in the valet area.  Which struck me as odd at first, until I walked into the lobby and realized what convention was going on.  My first instinct was to run screaming out of the building in terror, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    If you're going to partake in a MLM deal then you need to have a separate "business" FB page. Then, people who actually want to see your shit get to all they want, you can add people who you really don't want to see your personal pictures and pics of your kids on your real FB, and you won't annoy the hell out of your friends and family. 

Stop making perfect sense!

Of course, that isn't what the MLM companies teach.

1. Start with telling ALL your friends and family about this amazing product!  They can't help but buy from you because it is so (insert reasons why it is the best thing since sliced bread).  Then tell them all again.  And again.
    2. Then they'll tell their friends and family!  Because its soooooooooooooo good.  You know that referrals are the best advertisement.
    3. Pretty soon, people will be knocking down your door to buy these amazing candles/vitamin supplements/leggings/make-up.
    4. Sit back in your pink Cadillac* counting all the money you're making...just by helping your friends buy the products you know they want.

*Nowadays that company (cough, cough...Mary Kay) has upped their game and gives away white Escalades.  With my p/t job, I happened to pop into a hotel with a MK convention going on.  There were three of those white Escalades in the valet area.  Which struck me as odd at first, until I walked into the lobby and realized what convention was going on.  My first instinct was to run screaming out of the building in terror, lol.

But if you're dedicated and work hard....YOU TOO can have a white Escalade. lmao!
    *********************************************************************************

• I have a friend who has 2 businesses. She's constantly harassing us on her friends list to buy her stuff. I hate the mascara they're known for and I won't buy makeup I can't try on first. So many of these MLM's have moved away from personal sales and parties to online only. I'm sorry, but I need to touch, smell, feel before I buy. 
  • I have a friend who has 2 businesses. She's constantly harassing us on her friends list to buy her stuff. I hate the mascara they're known for and I won't buy makeup I can't try on first. So many of these MLM's have moved away from personal sales and parties to online only. I'm sorry, but I need to touch, smell, feel before I buy. 
    Invitations to Virtual Parties ARE THE WORST.

If you're going to sell me shit at least feed me and liquor me up. Gawd. 

• Y'all are making me really thankful for my friends. I've never been added without my knowledge, my friend who sells only posts on her page, and is really unobtrusive about it. I would hate what you guys are describing.