Wedding Woes

Next Door Nonesence

There is a country club a few blocks from our neighborhood, which sits on a major river. They had an event Saturday night and set off fireworks over the river. Well, based on the messages on ND and our neighborhood FB group you'd think there were multiple bombs and explosions being set off at 3am (instead of a short firework show at 10pm). There are dozens of posts about how rude, inconsiderate, traumatizing (for the pets and the children) the fireworks were and how the CC (one of the more prosperous businesses in the neighborhood) is self-centered. Seriously, who are these people. 

Re: Next Door Nonesence

• Wait until the 4th of July!

Our latest Next Door blew up from a local guy who thinks he's the best thing for traffic tips.  

Without knowing him he smacks of retired too early divorced guy in late 60s who still needs to feel important.   

Luckily he got shot down when everyone younger basically told him to STFU.  
  • I know where I live, unless it's the day of a holiday - or the day before or the day after - it's actually illegal to set off fireworks.

If it's on a weekend, jeez people relax!
  • Every year around July 4th the posts start about how traumatizing fireworks are. I get it. Some people do have PTSD, but I can't see cutting everyone's enjoyment for the few.

My crazy neighbor has been eerily silent. I drove past his place (it's on a main street I'm not stalking him) and he has a No Trespassing sign up now. 
  • Every year around July 4th the posts start about how traumatizing fireworks are. I get it. Some people do have PTSD, but I can't see cutting everyone's enjoyment for the few.

My crazy neighbor has been eerily silent. I drove past his place (it's on a main street I'm not stalking him) and he has a No Trespassing sign up now. 
    Here's hoping the noises that were bothering him stopped :\
  • I'm also side-eyeing the woman who argued she should sue the club for the cost of her dog's therapy. 
  • Exactly.  Wait until the 4th!

On my moving weekend they had fireworks (February) going off at the center as well.  I was facetiming with my sis at the time. I told her those were the fireworks welcoming me into my neighborhood.  They go all out.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Fireworks is a hot topic around here. Each community and each club seems to pick a different. Iget to do them for the fourth then there are the illegal ones and I think turns nasty. 

Every fall theres the "why is someone setting off fireworks now?!"  Diwali. Every year the same people ask  
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    I have nothing to add except to say that I love threads about the crazies on NextDoor.

• I wouldn't necessarily classify this as nonsense, just odd.  So a person on NextDoor posted a "doggy play date" request.  I thought that sounded like a great idea to meet another person in my neighborhood and my Izzy can make a new friend (she LOVES other dogs).  The poster and I have communicated back and forth a few times.  But it keeps turning into my suggesting a couple good days/times and silence on her end.

For example, last Monday, I suggested after work on Thursday.  No response.  Until 4:50 PM on Thursday.  That was something like, "Yeah, today would be great if you are still up for it."  Holy last minute, Batman!  I had already made other plans and expressed that.  I also suggested Friday or Monday (today).  She replied back asking me what I thought  of the restaurant I had mentioned, but that was it.  I replied back to her.  No response since.  Umm...okay.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ours is the usual.  There is one fittingly named "WRECKLESS DRIVER" in which a poster detailed her harrowing account of being passed by a driver who was driving too fast.  She took down the license plate number (while driving? IDK), but sadly, the police didn't seem as alarmed as she thought they should be.  This is why another poster commented that he had recently installed a dash cam.  Now he will have video proof!

Someone else wanted to know why a nearby trail was closed and speculated that it might be due to "teen mischief" or "wolves."  Someone else helpfully posted a screenshot of the email from the HOA saying that it was being repaved.

Oh, and my favorite, in response to a coyote sighting (that ended with "stay Alert"):

"I tell you what....If a darn Coyote came anywhere near my home, whether it was legal or not, I would shoot the SOB as they are out to kill so it's like "KILL OR BE KILLED!!" Sorry, but I'm going to take action especially if I had a pet in my care and a coyote came charging at me, your darn right I'm going to do something!! Who agrees with me?"
  • Had one from a neighbor down the street asking why we thought this mother and her kids moved out and then detailed their activities. I replied it might be because they had a nosy neighbor they were trying to get away from. 

Just checked it and there's someone complaining about a newer white volvo sitting on the street. Not everyone is out to get you.

Maybe I should post about our neighbor that stole H's cell phone off the top of his truck?
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Oh Lord.  I just read a post on NextDoor where a guy reported a young looking guy who was trying to steal from his garage.  The number of "you should have taken him out!" and "The Castle Doctrine says..." comments left me feeling really gross about my neighborhood.  Gotta love the Midwest.

• Heffalump said:
    Ours is the usual.  There is one fittingly named "WRECKLESS DRIVER" in which a poster detailed her harrowing account of being passed by a driver who was driving too fast.  She took down the license plate number (while driving? IDK), but sadly, the police didn't seem as alarmed as she thought they should be.  This is why another poster commented that he had recently installed a dash cam.  Now he will have video proof!

Someone else wanted to know why a nearby trail was closed and speculated that it might be due to "teen mischief" or "wolves."  Someone else helpfully posted a screenshot of the email from the HOA saying that it was being repaved.

Oh, and my favorite, in response to a coyote sighting (that ended with "stay Alert"):

"I tell you what....If a darn Coyote came anywhere near my home, whether it was legal or not, I would shoot the SOB as they are out to kill so it's like "KILL OR BE KILLED!!" Sorry, but I'm going to take action especially if I had a pet in my care and a coyote came charging at me, your darn right I'm going to do something!! Who agrees with me?"
    I swear I had the same ND post the other day. Someone found two coyotes "playing tug of war" with their cat outside. That quickly devolved into attacking the owners for having an outdoor cat. A lot of "you were asking for it" type posts, and "well what did you expect?"

People are obsessed with fireworks on my ND too. You'd think the fireworks were set off with the sole purpose of angering them.

Oh, and I lost it the other day on a "suspicious person" post. People in my neighborhood are so fucked up and racist. One guy keeps quoting Trump. He is 100% serious. 

• I wouldn't necessarily classify this as nonsense, just odd.  So a person on NextDoor posted a "doggy play date" request.  I thought that sounded like a great idea to meet another person in my neighborhood and my Izzy can make a new friend (she LOVES other dogs).  The poster and I have communicated back and forth a few times.  But it keeps turning into my suggesting a couple good days/times and silence on her end.

For example, last Monday, I suggested after work on Thursday.  No response.  Until 4:50 PM on Thursday.  That was something like, "Yeah, today would be great if you are still up for it."  Holy last minute, Batman!  I had already made other plans and expressed that.  I also suggested Friday or Monday (today).  She replied back asking me what I thought  of the restaurant I had mentioned, but that was it.  I replied back to her.  No response since.  Umm...okay.

Apparently I just had to complain about it, lol.  My ND doggy date peep sent an e-mail apologizing, that she thought she had sent me an e-mail a couple days ago, but today was good for her.  As it turns out, she lives on my same street but three blocks up!  Super convenient. 

So we're meeting up for our doggy date tonight.  Here's hoping she's just a flibberty-jibbit and not a crazy person.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2017
    Damn, my NextDoor is boring compared to you all's. Mostly it's people asking for business recommendations or bitching about litter.

ETA: Although there is a skeezy-sounding guy who wants a pedicurist who'll make house calls . . .
  • Damn, my NextDoor is boring compared to you all's. Mostly it's people asking for business recommendations or bitching about litter.

ETA: Although there is a skeezy-sounding guy who wants a pedicurist who'll make house calls . . .

I have a boring one also.

It's all lost or found dogs/cats.  Community events going on.  Reminders to vote when an election going on...complete with a link to find your polling place.  Concerns about crime and notifications when a crime happens.  A few classified type ads, but all local peeps.

Pretty much exactly what it is supposed to be and all around helpful information.  What a concept, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not NextDoor, but on a local Facebook group, a man posted that his beagle "really wanted to be a daddy", and if there were any female beagles around to help facilitate that.  One woman (predictably) replied with "adopt, don't shop".  Things went downhill fast, ending with another man calling her a stupid c*nt.  It was a weird thread to begin with - a full paragraph describing the beagle's paternal stirrings, but it escalated pretty quick.
  • Joney said:
    Not NextDoor, but on a local Facebook group, a man posted that his beagle "really wanted to be a daddy", and if there were any female beagles around to help facilitate that.  One woman (predictably) replied with "adopt, don't shop".  Things went downhill fast, ending with another man calling her a stupid c*nt.  It was a weird thread to begin with - a full paragraph describing the beagle's paternal stirrings, but it escalated pretty quick.
    That's hilarious and really bizarre.  But, just for the sake of argument, let's assume his male beagle really does want a puppy of his own.  Then adopt a beagle puppy who needs a home.  It's a better answer however it's sliced.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Joney said:
    Not NextDoor, but on a local Facebook group, a man posted that his beagle "really wanted to be a daddy", and if there were any female beagles around to help facilitate that.  One woman (predictably) replied with "adopt, don't shop".  Things went downhill fast, ending with another man calling her a stupid c*nt.  It was a weird thread to begin with - a full paragraph describing the beagle's paternal stirrings, but it escalated pretty quick.
    That's a shit ton of projection on that beagle.  

• My ND is not really interesting, it might be city living/renting vs. elsewhere, every third post on mine is someone complaining that the pedestrian underpass that allows you to cross a turnpike without taking the "long way" being sketchy and creepy. We get it, the underpass is not great or well lit, but do we need 2 posts a week about how you walked all the way around to avoid going through it?
  • Haven't had a good ND thread until today. 

Someone is "appalled" that there is now a section for "dating & hookups" on Nextdoor and it's "completely disgusting". 

It's a sponsored ad showing up in her feed for Match.com. 
    Image result for hysterical laughter gif
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2017
    I've never heard of NextDoor.

We do have 2 FB groups.   One is a swap, the other is for road/weather conditions for the entire valley (about 50 miles long).  

Well right now  there is a 95 day  bridge construction project going on.   It's not in my town, but it is the bridge that connects to us the rest of the world.  

We are 43 days in and people are complaining EVERY SINGLE DAY on BOTH pages. Post after post on this project.  I get it, the project sucks, some people are spending hours commuting when it use to take half hour. However, do we need to complain everyday for 95 days?  This in one of those things that complaining isn't going to fix anything.  People need to just keep the eye on the prize.    This bridge project is long overdue.   95 days isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I don't think it is either, @lyndausvi, around these parts, in IL, it would be 3 years and 95 days.

• kiwicat1417kiwicat1417 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2017
    ND in my current neighborhood isn't active because it's in the country. My FH and I just put an offer on a house in a nearby city but I won't be moving there until we get married. It would be nice to be able to join the ND for that neighborhood since I'll be there all of the time doing yard work and whatnot. I've got to figure out how to have them let me join if we get the house. FH isn't an internet and keep up with others kind of person so he probably won't join.
  • Heffalump said:
    Ours is the usual.  There is one fittingly named "WRECKLESS DRIVER" in which a poster detailed her harrowing account of being passed by a driver who was driving too fast.  She took down the license plate number (while driving? IDK), but sadly, the police didn't seem as alarmed as she thought they should be.  This is why another poster commented that he had recently installed a dash cam.  Now he will have video proof!

*snip*
    I frequently memorize license plates. If someone follows me for awhile, I'll memorize the plate in case they keep following me, and I decide to call the police.  :D  (It's never happened, FYI)

I joined our ND and haven't looked in a month. I do still occasionally go on the FB page of the place I used to live in just to read the drama!