Wedding Party

Thoughts on bridesmaid Gifts?

I am having a hard time for gifts to the bridesmaids, the color of the wedding is lavender so I was thinking of doing a gift to include lavender flip flops, a lavender bath bomb, lavender candle, nail polish etc. to kind of do a "treat yourself" gift set. Do you think this would be an ok gift for each of the girls? Do you have suggestions for any other things I could add to the gift? I'd prefer to not do the typical "bridesmaid" labeled robes and stuff. Any feedback is appreciated!

Re: Thoughts on bridesmaid Gifts?

• geebee908geebee908 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    I am having a hard time for gifts to the bridesmaids, the color of the wedding is lavender so I was thinking of doing a gift to include lavender flip flops, a lavender bath bomb, lavender candle, nail polish etc. to kind of do a "treat yourself" gift set. Do you think this would be an ok gift for each of the girls? Do you have suggestions for any other things I could add to the gift? I'd prefer to not do the typical "bridesmaid" labeled robes and stuff. Any feedback is appreciated!

SITB
    Buy for each woman as you would choose a gift for their birthday or Christmas. They're individuals so they'll most appreciate a gift you chose that shows you thought of them individually and took into account each of their interests.
  • Like the others said, it's best if the gift is individualized and not tied to the wedding. If I was a bridesmaid, the candle and bath bomb I probably wouldn't use because I'm not super into the lavender scent, and I don't do baths.  I never paint my fingernails and only rarely paint my toenails (like a couple times a summer because it takes so long to wear off) so the polish would likely never get used. 

It's fine if the gifts are similar as long as they are individualized by taste. 

I have been a MOH twice. At the first wedding, all of us received a bracelet, all of which were different according to our style. At the second wedding, we received identical necklaces in the wedding color that we wore for the wedding. Guess which one is worn several times a month and which one hasn't been touched since it was taken off after the wedding?
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Identical gifts in the wedding color is a very typical "bridesmaid" gift, to use your phrase.  Ditto PP, shop for each BM individually based on their likes. What'd you get them for their last birthday?

• Ditto PPs. Give your friends gifts like you would for other gift-giving occasions. Even if I liked/wanted any or all of those things you named, if they all came in your wedding colors, they would get a huge eye-roll from me behind your back. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Shop for your friends using the budget you'd spend on those items "as-if" you'd shop for their Birthday.  While cute to give everyone the same thing, I'm sure they'd appreciate a contribution to the BM Dress Fund or something individualized to them far more than a hit/miss matchy-matchy gift (Scent is the #1 way to offend someone, not that lavender is going to offend anyone, scents are love/hate with no middle ground)..
  • Our main wedding color is navy, so I.....got gift bags with navy in them for each girl. That's where the "ties to the wedding" end. All of my girls got something totally different, but unique to them. Shop like you're shopping for their birthday or Christmas! If you can't think of a particular item, gift cards to their favorite store or maybe an activity they would enjoy (brewery tour, bike rental, etc) would be good.

(And FWIW, I loathe the smell of lavender, so count me with the PPs saying it's kind of a polarizing thing.)
  • Our main wedding color is navy, so I.....got gift bags with navy in them for each girl. That's where the "ties to the wedding" end. All of my girls got something totally different, but unique to them. Shop like you're shopping for their birthday or Christmas! If you can't think of a particular item, gift cards to their favorite store or maybe an activity they would enjoy (brewery tour, bike rental, etc) would be good.

(And FWIW, I loathe the smell of lavender, so count me with the PPs saying it's kind of a polarizing thing.)
    God, It's like you KNOW me!  I want giftcards to a brewery tour!!!  We're having our wedding in a brewery.  I'm trying to decide what kind of beer-related gift would be best to give to my groom to celebrate it.

• adk19 said:
    Our main wedding color is navy, so I.....got gift bags with navy in them for each girl. That's where the "ties to the wedding" end. All of my girls got something totally different, but unique to them. Shop like you're shopping for their birthday or Christmas! If you can't think of a particular item, gift cards to their favorite store or maybe an activity they would enjoy (brewery tour, bike rental, etc) would be good.

God, It's like you KNOW me!  I want giftcards to a brewery tour!!!  We're having our wedding in a brewery.  I'm trying to decide what kind of beer-related gift would be best to give to my groom to celebrate it.

Sorry for the derailment: Is there a home brew store in your area? We have one that offers classes. Brewery tour, nice beer mugs (if you're crafty you can etch them with his favorite team logo/Star Wars character/etc!). Sample of beers from his favorite locations, or places you two have traveled together? One of those maps with holes for bottle caps of all the craft beers you've tried?
  • adk19 said:
    Our main wedding color is navy, so I.....got gift bags with navy in them for each girl. That's where the "ties to the wedding" end. All of my girls got something totally different, but unique to them. Shop like you're shopping for their birthday or Christmas! If you can't think of a particular item, gift cards to their favorite store or maybe an activity they would enjoy (brewery tour, bike rental, etc) would be good.

Sorry for the derailment: Is there a home brew store in your area? We have one that offers classes. Brewery tour, nice beer mugs (if you're crafty you can etch them with his favorite team logo/Star Wars character/etc!). Sample of beers from his favorite locations, or places you two have traveled together? One of those maps with holes for bottle caps of all the craft beers you've tried?
    Since we're derailing, let's go all out...

We used to brew beer.  We have all the tools in the basement.  I've mentioned a couple times that we should do it again.  I don't know what's stopping him.  

The last thing we need.  In this world. Are beer mugs.  The sheer quantity of beer glasses we have is astounding.  Different sizes, different shapes, different logos.  Insane.

Samples of beer, this I like.

Might look into the bottle cap map, FI is also a map guy besides being a beer guy.  That might be a nice meld of his interests.  Problem with that would be that most of our drinking of beer is done at breweries from a tap rather than out of bottles.  We have started collecting brewery stickers though and I'd considered putting those on a map, but we'd overrun our space in Chicago with stickers while the rest of the country stays largely blank.

I was thinking something related to the brewery where we'll get married; either an etched metal growler or a tap handle.