Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Makeup for bridesmaids only?

Is professional makeup application for bridesmaids only a thing? I am really into makeup and was kind of hoping to do my own for my wedding. I am getting my hair professionally done, but I don't mind of my bridesmaids would rather do their own hair and makeup - I have done so as a bridesmaid many times before. I polled my bridesmaids to see if they wanted me to get appointments for them at my hair salon or if they had their own local salon they'd prefer. A few expressed interest in professional makeup application because they don't feel as comfortable doing it themselves. 

I was hoping to save on this expense for myself, but I think it is insulting to hire a makeup artist for my bridesmaids and tell the artist I don't want to use his or her services as well. And I don't know that many will take that job anyway. Should I just bite the bullet and get my makeup done too? Or should I research local salons that do makeup application and have my bridesmaids make appointments on their own instead of having us all get ready together? 

Re: Makeup for bridesmaids only?

• Do your bridesmaids know you aren't planning on getting professional makeup?

I would be so happy if I was a bridesmaid where the brides was doing her own makeup, it would take the pressure off. Are these women who don't bat an eye at going to the mac counter before a date or party? Or do they just not normally wear makeup and want help?

• I don't think you should research salons unless you really, really want to. Just tell them "A makeup artist will not be coming to us before the wedding, but you're more than welcome to have yours done at a salon of your choosing."
  • Is professional makeup application for bridesmaids only a thing? I am really into makeup and was kind of hoping to do my own for my wedding. I am getting my hair professionally done, but I don't mind of my bridesmaids would rather do their own hair and makeup - I have done so as a bridesmaid many times before. I polled my bridesmaids to see if they wanted me to get appointments for them at my hair salon or if they had their own local salon they'd prefer. A few expressed interest in professional makeup application because they don't feel as comfortable doing it themselves. 

I was hoping to save on this expense for myself, but I think it is insulting to hire a makeup artist for my bridesmaids and tell the artist I don't want to use his or her services as well. And I don't know that many will take that job anyway. Should I just bite the bullet and get my makeup done too? Or should I research local salons that do makeup application and have my bridesmaids make appointments on their own instead of having us all get ready together? 
    I don't. It's business. They're either going to take the job or not. 

If you want to do your own make-up for your wedding, do it! 
    *********************************************************************************

• lnixon8 said:
    Do your bridesmaids know you aren't planning on getting professional makeup?

I would be so happy if I was a bridesmaid where the brides was doing her own makeup, it would take the pressure off. Are these women who don't bat an eye at going to the mac counter before a date or party? Or do they just not normally wear makeup and want help?
    Thanks to all of you for your advice. I did make it clear that I wanted to do my own makeup. I think the ladies that said they were interested in professional makeup just don't wear makeup al the time and aren't as comfortable applying it/want a bit of help.
  • I agree with lovesclimbing. I've been in a few weddings where the brides allowed us (the BMs) to arrange our own professional hair/makeup appointment if we didn't want to do it ourselves. They then just simply provided a time for us all to meet so we would be there for the bride's "getting ready" photos. If you choose this option, just don't forget to specify that their appointments would be at their own expense. Hope that helps!!! Happy wedding!!!!