Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Tipping photographer

Should I tip my wedding photographer? I keep hearing you don't need to tip if they're the owner. She's the owner's daughter. I feel like because I'm paying several thousand dollars for their services, I shouldn't have to tack on a tip, too. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Re: Tipping photographer

• Tips are never required but appreciated. We tipped all of our vendors but waited until we received our pictures to tip the photographer. 
  • exactly what @missjeanlouise just said.  not required but appreciated.  Our photographers were the owners as well.  Even going over 6.5 weeks beyond the contract date (but DID email all the clients before the deadline to explain that the editing was taking longer than expected), the end result for us was that we LOVED our pictures and they caught some great moments for us.  We ended up tipping after getting the pictures too.  Nothing grand.  But a nice "thank you"....along with good reviews where we could give them. 

• A thoughtful personal gift wouldn't go amiss either. Our photographer has a massive crush on Taylor Swift, so we're giving her something related.
  • We plan to tip our photographers (husband & wife duo) once we get the pictures back. They were seriously awesome, and we looooooved working with them, so we want to make sure they know that! (In the meantime, I wrote reviews everywhere I could find)
  • I agree with tipping after you receive the final product. I did tip the photog and assistant each $20 in case they wanted to grab something to eat on the way home (yes, we fed them dinner, the very same the guests had, but just in case they got the munchies).
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss: