Chit Chat

When is it too soon to start planning?

Hello my fiance and I decided on a date for our wedding we had a date for July 2017 but had called it off. Now we have a new date. When should I start planning?

Re: When is it too soon to start planning?

• Now works!
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Hello my fiance and I decided on a date for our wedding we had a date for July 2017 but had called it off. Now we have a new date. When should I start planning?

What is the new date?  If it's in 2020, I would say now would be a bit soon to start planning.  What has happened to the venue/caterer/photog etc that you presumably booked for your summer 2017 wedding?

• Ro041 said:

What is the new date?  If it's in 2020, I would say now would be a bit soon to start planning.  What has happened to the venue/caterer/photog etc that you presumably booked for your summer 2017 wedding?
    This.  Moving to 2018?  Probably best to think about your guest list and budget and then your priority vendors.  But if you are looking at 2019 or 2020 you probably don't need to go full barrel right now.  Depending on availability and competition for vendors in your area, you may have six months or a year of breathing room.  You can always start working on the guest list and budget, as it's hard to make any concrete decisions until you've got a handle on those items. 

A lot is going to depend on where you are, what you may wish to replicate from your previous plans and, of course, your budget (do you have the flexibility to start putting down deposits?).  
    Anniversary

• Depends on your new date, your vision, and your budget. If you have an elaborate vision and/or need time to save, you might start planning now. If you have a simple vision and the money is already in the bank, you can probably wait. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Now is fine, unless the date has changed to super far in the future. I mean you already planned for this July - so at least you have more time that you can get more details on things.

I started hunting for certain things before we were 'officially engaged'
  • How far in advance did you start planning for the original date? Use a similar time frame. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    12-18 months prior is a pretty reasonable timeframe to start planning and booking a venue and vendors.
  • We got engaged in January.  I started looking for venues in February.  We floated possible dates to our VIPs in March.  We went to visit our number one venue in March.  We booked a wedding for Next March.  I want to start looking into photographers now, but other than venue and photographer, I won't do anything else until, probably September.