Attire & Accessories Forum

HELP! NEED TO MAKE A DECISION BY 4/21!

Hi all, I need to choose my wedding dress by THIS Friday (4/21) and I am torn between one that I tried on in the shop with my dad and stepmom and loved (the Elisabetta Dress) and a dress from an Etsy seller that I've vetted quite heavily and have been speaking to for several months about a dress I loved from her site (the Djons Dress). 

Advantages of the Elisabetta dress: 
-From a reputable seller here in my town
-I've tried this dress on
-Has everything I wanted in a dress (minus being pink) 
-Smart & practical thing to do
-Alterations done in-store

Disadvantages to the Elisabetta dress: 
-It's not pink
-It's like 3 times the price of the other dress
-FI has not seen it (both good and bad)

Advantages to the Djons dress: 
-I fell in love with the pic immediately (and so did FI) 
-Way better price point
-It's got pink in it!
-Would be totally unique (no one would have this dress anywhere!) 

Disadvantages of the Djons dress: 
-Coming from a foreign country 
-Could be a scam (unlikely, but you never know) 
-Never even seen it in person or tried it on
-Would have to find a shop to do alterations 

My heart is pulled to the Djons dress but the practical side of me says don't take the risk, go with something reliable for such an important day. What do y'all think I should do? What would you do in my shoes? 

Djons Dress
(Original:)

(Sketch with different sleeves and neckline:)

Elisabetta Dress:

Re: HELP! NEED TO MAKE A DECISION BY 4/21!

• It sounds like you truly want the Etsy dress. I would be worried that by buying the Elisabetta dress, you will always wonder/wish you had gotten the other dress. I know this is not the ideal situation, but if something did go wrong with the Etsy dress.. would you have time in case of an emergency to still buy something else or buy a dress off the rack?

Sounds like to me you want the Etsy. I'd go with that or else you will always wonder.

• Go for the dress you really want, but don't put so much pressure on "such an important day" and all the details being totally perfect.

You like both dresses, and either would be beautiful for you to get to marry your FI in. It is an important day, but because you're getting married, not because the dress and everything else was right.

So get the Djons if that's what you want, but also realize that if something does go wrong (I highly doubt it), you'll get to be just as married if you have to buy and wear a "backup" dress.

• The Etsy dress coming from a foreign country (is it China?) and being 1/3 the price is a couple red flags for me. Don't get me wrong; I adore Etsy, but you get what you pay for regardless of where you get it.

I just looked it up - it'd come from Russia, and it's still $680.
  • The one you actually tried on. 
  • Go with the Bridal Salon because if something goes less than expected you'll have FAR more options than the Etsy seller will give you especially coming from a foreign country.  I've ordered from overseas plenty of times (given my size I can't find a comparable design in any store or salon in each of the cases at any price point), it's a $680 dress, not a "valued at $$$$" dress.  

IMO - you're in love with the pink first, go try on some dresses that come in pink.  AND, drop your price point for the shopping because if price is an issue on the dress, you can't afford it after you pay for the alterations on top of the price.  

• The Etsy dress coming from a foreign country (is it China?) and being 1/3 the price is a couple red flags for me. Don't get me wrong; I adore Etsy, but you get what you pay for regardless of where you get it.

I just looked it up - it'd come from Russia, and it's still $680.

With the illusion netting and custom changes and all, that's pretty low for a wedding gown. That wouldn't buy a similar dress even at a relatively low-end store like David's Bridal... it would be at least twice that, I'm thinking.
  • I would do the one that you've tried on in the bridal store. You've tried it on and you know the quality. I would be skeptical ordering something that I haven't even seen in person. 

FWIW, both dresses are beautiful in the pictures

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Have you shown photos of the Etsy dress to the best seamstresses in your town?  Can any of them sew a layer of pink fabric onto the skirt part of the salon dress? Like right underneath that top lacy layer?  (Full disclosure, I can barely hem pants, so if this is totally impossible and shitty advice please let me know!) 
    Either way I'd go with the salon dress- you've tried it on, it's gorgeous, and if there was some sort of problem you can go to the salon and seek help.

• eileenrob said:

Have you shown photos of the Etsy dress to the best seamstresses in your town?  Can any of them sew a layer of pink fabric onto the skirt part of the salon dress? Like right underneath that top lacy layer?  (Full disclosure, I can barely hem pants, so if this is totally impossible and shitty advice please let me know!) 
    Either way I'd go with the salon dress- you've tried it on, it's gorgeous, and if there was some sort of problem you can go to the salon and seek help.

^^ All of this. I would be so wary of buying a wedding dress from a foreign country, online, and without having tried it on first. Definitely go with the one you have tried on in person, and find out what your alterations options are with regard to injecting a little of the pink you have your heart set on.