Wedding Invitations & Paper

Non-traditional invite wording: okay?

So we aren't ultra-formal/traditional people, but I just found out that my dad feels strongly about including his and my mom's names on the invitations.  Does this wording seem okay?  I know it's a bit different than the standard wording. (Details have been changed)

David Dawson and Jennifer Fitzhammer 

warmly invite you to join them as

Angela Fitzhammer-Dawson

and

Levi Tompkins

are joined in marriage

Saturday

July 22

two thousand seventeen

at six o’clock in the evening

Venue

1051 North Second Street

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dinner and dancing to follow

I know the "dinner and dancing" thing is controversial, but I think it is important to explain the level of hosting because a small number of our guests are farmers who tend to eat early and may think of 6:00 as being after dinner time.

Anything I should change?

Re: Non-traditional invite wording: okay?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    So we aren't ultra-formal/traditional people, but I just found out that my dad feels strongly about including his and my mom's names on the invitations.  Does this wording seem okay?  I know it's a bit different than the standard wording. (Details have been changed)

David Dawson and Jennifer Fitzhammer 

warmly invite you to join them as

Angela Fitzhammer-Dawson

and

Levi Tompkins

are joined in marriage

Saturday

July 22

two thousand seventeen

at six o’clock in the evening

Venue

1051 North Second Street

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dinner and dancing to follow

I know the "dinner and dancing" thing is controversial, but I think it is important to explain the level of hosting because a small number of our guests are farmers who tend to eat early and may think of 6:00 as being after dinner time.

Anything I should change?

I would tweek this a bit. Are your parents married with different last names?

Ms. Jennifer Fitzhammer and Mr. David Dawson
    invite you to join them
    at the marriage of their daughter
    Angela Fitzhammer-Dawson
    to
    Mr. Levi Tompkins
    Saturday, the twenty-second of July
    two thousand seventeen
    at six o’clock
    Venue
    1051 North Second Street
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

Reception to follow

Sorry, but I am from Iowa, and my farmer relatives would expect dinner! Dancing?  Maybe.  They really care about FOOD!

The lack of titles seems really odd to me.  It isn't "informal" to not include them, just disrespectful.  You don't need a title if you are named as the daughter of your parents.  Modern wording is fine as long as it does the job.  On the date, you can either use the wording I used, or do "July 22, 2017".  Not a combination of the two styles.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I don't particularly like the "warmly invite you". I think the traditional format is best "request the pleasure of your company  ...." I also think that two thousand seventeen should be on the same line as the date. I'm also not sure about not spelling out 22 when you spell out 2017. Also in the evening is redundant - you wouldn't get married at 6:00 in the morning.
  • Thanks to you both for the feedback!  Yes, my parents are closing in on 40 years of marriage and they kept their names when they wed.  My name is Herlast-Hislast, and both are on the long side which is why I didn't include our middle names.  I'm glad that is okay.  (That's okay, right?)

I totally intended to write out the date but just typed the numbers out of habit. One of many reasons why it is always good to have extra sets of eyes!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    It is OK to not include middle names, but you might want to include your FI's middle name (unless he hates it).  It will make the lines look more balanced.  Just out of curiosity, will you be changing you last name after your marriage?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited April 2017
    I'm not sure why, but the 'warmly invite you....' line seems awkward to me. Although 'Dinner and dancing to follow' isn't necessary, I see nothing wrong with providing that little bit of information if you think it might be useful to your guests. 

As far as titles go, I have a long standing disagreement with CMGragain. If your parents prefer to not use titles, then it's not disrespectful to list their names without the titles. Everyone should be addressed according to their preference. 

• I'm not sure why, but the 'warmly invite you....' line seems awkward to me. Although 'Dinner and dancing to follow' isn't necessary, I see nothing wrong with providing that little bit of information if you think it might be useful to your guests. 

As far as titles go, I have a long standing disagreement with CMGragain. If your parents prefer to not use titles, then it's not disrespectful to list their names without the titles. Everyone should be addressed according to their preference. 

Agree with all of this. I feel like when a ceremony is later in the evening, as a guest I would like to know if dinner will be served or if it will be just apps. 6-7 is dinner time for a lot of people, and if it didn't specify I would probably pack a snack or five.
  • I think leaving titles off is fine. No one in my circle uses titles (my Grandfather included). If this is standard for them, it would be respectful to leave off the titles. If they want titles, use the titles. You also don't have to include middle names or titles for you or your FI. Again, go with what each person would prefer.

Nothing wrong with dinner/dancing to follow. Not required but I prefer having the extra information.