Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Hair extensions for trial?

I am considering using hair extensions for my wedding. However, my appointment is this week and I don't yet have or know ANYTHING about hair extensions. I've been told that they keep their shape/curl longer and look more "bridal" than just your regular hair alone. The salon that I am going to does not sell extensions, so I will need to research and buy them and obviously won't have them in time for the trial. Should I still go to the trial without them and just tell them I will have some by the wedding date? (I am afraid to postpone the trial appointment much longer, as they cannot reserve the stylists for my date until I have the trial.) And does anyone have any information or advice on where to get good hair extensions??? Thanks everyone!

Re: Hair extensions for trial?

• I would not try to pioneer purchasing extensions online if you've never done it before. I'd ask your salon for a recommendation and google places that do extensions in your area - go in, feel the hair, look at the color in person, talk to the people who do them about pros and cons, timing, etc., read the reviews. Have them professionally put in at the shop. I have never seen DIY extensions that look natural or good. Like not ever. I can tell you that for natural looking, quality, well "installed" extensions, you are not getting out of there for cheap.

Ask the salon doing your updo if they can do your chosen updo with extensions once they're in your hair. If they can't, you'd need to find a new salon anyway. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Ditto Southernbelle. 

• Thanks... definitely food for thought!!! My friend recommended a hair extension company (Donna Bella I believe?) for human hair clip-in 4 piece sets. She used them when we were in our friend's wedding last year (we were both BMs) and no one could tell she had extensions in. The only difference was that her hair came out looking 10x better than mine & we got our hair done at the same place (& have similar hair types). I guess I'm just hoping for a similar result to that. My salon DID say they would work with extensions if I chose to use them, and that the choice is up to me. Also, I am not getting an updo, but wearing it half-back.
  • Number 1 rule of wedding beauty/ hair: never, ever use a product for the first time on your wedding day. If you want extensions or clip ins, you need to bring them for your trial and see what your stylist says. If you need to move your trial, so be it. There is no point if you having a trial if you don't have all your accessories. 

• Number 1 rule of wedding beauty/ hair: never, ever use a product for the first time on your wedding day. If you want extensions or clip ins, you need to bring them for your trial and see what your stylist says. If you need to move your trial, so be it. There is no point if you having a trial if you don't have all your accessories. 

Agreed. Any big event is not the time to try something for the first time. 
  • edited April 2017

Number 1 rule of wedding beauty/ hair: never, ever use a product for the first time on your wedding day. If you want extensions or clip ins, you need to bring them for your trial and see what your stylist says. If you need to move your trial, so be it. There is no point if you having a trial if you don't have all your accessories. 

Agreed. Any big event is not the time to try something for the first time. 

Oh no!!! I already had my own hair trial and was afraid to change the appointment, since they wouldn't reserve my wedding date for me or my bridal party until I had the trial. (The salon is within a very popular spa resort). I did bring my veil & hair clip, so I got to see what it would look like without the extensions. Overall, I liked the way my hair looked, but it didn't have that voluptuous "bridal" look that I really would like to have. 

I am actually going to be a BM in my friend's wedding on May 28! I was thinking of using the hair extensions when I get my hair done for that wedding, which could be like a trial-run to see how they work. I hope using them for my friend's wedding will do the trick! I'm nervous about it now, but I guess if I don't like it on May 28, then I will opt out for my own wedding!!!!!

Thanks ladies!!!