Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

photo book vs photo album?

I've never done a photo book or album before, so I need some recommendations.  first of all, is paying for the higher cost of a photo album worth it? Or will I be just as happy with a photo book?

I think I'm leaning towards mypublisher because of the reviews I've read.  April 5th is the last date to get your project in because they shut down May 8th!  I emailed them this question, but maybe someone here has used them and knows this too.  It says 20 pages plus an option to add another 20.  Are those 40 pages (80 sides?) or 20 pages (40 sides)?

I';m also, taking other recommendations if you've used another company you were thrilled with.  I want to include engagement session, photo booth pics AND a lot of wedding photos and I may even need more than 80 sides.

Re: photo book vs photo album?

• bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    I had a Groupon earlier this year for a MyPublisher photo book with 30 pages (front and back, for a total of 60).  I was blown completely away with the final product, and had planned somewhere down the line to purchase a premium album from them, just based on the quality of the photo book.  Alas.

My only complaint with MyPublisher was that you had to download a program to make your actual photo album, it's not like Shutterfly where you just upload the photos and make it on their website. The program was a pain in the ass to use, but it was absolutely worth it based on the final product. If you go with MyPublisher and get a photo book, stay away from the linen cover with the photo insert. I made a several albums with those covers, and the photos had a tendency to look kind of rumpled. 

I can't recommend MyPublisher enough, though.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Thanks so much for those tips!  The photo album option looks good too.  right now the sale is:  bOGO on the photo books and 50% off the albums and to be honest, I don't need two of the same books, 1/2 off the album could definitely be in my budget 

• I just reread my original post, and the 60 pages thing sounded funny (because I know I wouldn't have had that kind of patience)... So I just looked through the book we kept for us, and I goofed when I originally posted. It's 30 pages total, so 15 front and back. I did find that to be enough for us, although I could have easily added many more, but we only included wedding photos. There are 80 photos in the album. 

Sorry for the goof, but I still stand by my original post. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I'm all about photo books. I like that you can personalize. I've used blurb before and it was great. 
  • So I went with mypublisher and spent all weekend on it.  It was a PITA. A big one.  I would have given up on it, but the 50% off made it the most inexpensive photo album that I saw online (with good reviews).  So much of my time was taken up on it because the software they make you use SUCKS.  It has a huge lag to it, and the pictures do not want to go on the pages like you want them to.  Hope it turns out!

codes for BOGO on the photobook and 50% on the albums are going on through Tuesday.  I think the last day to get a project in is April 6th or 8th.

• I know it's too late for OP but for anyone lurking...I highly recommend Mixbook. My wedding photographer would've charged $1K+ for a photo album (she admitted she prefers not to do them) so since we had all the rights to the photos we looked for alternative options. I made a coffee table book for us (hardcover, lay flat thick pages, about 40 pages) for less than $90 after a 40% off coupon. It helped that they have themes and layouts you can choose from. We also got smaller but still high quality books for each of our parents. I was so impressed by the quality and I have continued to use Mixbook for other photo prints, most recently I had a black and white picture of our family's company in the 50s printed on metal for my brother. They always seem to have good coupons available. 
  • Lulawife said:
    I know it's too late for OP but for anyone lurking...I highly recommend Mixbook. My wedding photographer would've charged $1K+ for a photo album (she admitted she prefers not to do them) so since we had all the rights to the photos we looked for alternative options. I made a coffee table book for us (hardcover, lay flat thick pages, about 40 pages) for less than $90 after a 40% off coupon. It helped that they have themes and layouts you can choose from. We also got smaller but still high quality books for each of our parents. I was so impressed by the quality and I have continued to use Mixbook for other photo prints, most recently I had a black and white picture of our family's company in the 50s printed on metal for my brother. They always seem to have good coupons available. 
    Still useful for me!  mypublisher goes out of business on May 8th, and I may want to do an Ireland book when I come back in June.  I'll give mixbook a try!

• If your still looking for other options for photo books I have used both Blurb and Shutterfly. With Blurb you have to download a program on your computer but I found it easy to use. The software allows full creative licence with what you want to do with the book. Shutterfly can be as simple or as creative as you want. They have a new feature that always you to have one of their designers make the book for you or you can be as creative as you want (they have gotten better with this since the first book I made with them). What I like about Shutterfly is that they have coupons all the time even giving away free books. They have really good customer service too. Both time I have had issues with printing (a photo had a big crease in it and a calendar's ink smeared), I called and they shipped me a new one the next day. No questions asked and I didn't have to send the damaged one back. I have made about 8 books, 2 calendars, and coasters with them and have been happy with all of it. 

• Thanks!  actually I found out that shutterfly bought my publisher!

• update:  We got the very expensive photo album from my publisher on Friday.  The quality was great.  Nothing came out bury (maybe a few pictures a tad bit dark, but that was from a guest photo, not a pro shot) and we are SO happy with our purchase.  Boooo for going out of business :( 

• My 2 cents: I use Picaboo for all my photo books. I have an album from my photog, but I prefer the smaller book - manageable, takes up less space and still have lay flat pages. 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss: