Wedding Woes
Options

Cut the Cord

I’m 12 years older than my sister and effectively raised her (and my brother) after our mother was killed when I was 15. Our father worked 80-hour weeks to provide for us, and I spent all of my teenage years and early 20s as a surrogate parent. My dad got remarried when I was 25 and I was finally able to go to college. My sister did not get along with our stepmother and spent weeks calling me and begging for me to come back home.

Now she’s 26, married, and expecting her first child. Our father and stepmother retired to Arizona, and our brother is in the military. When she called to tell me she was pregnant, I was so excited for her. I later told her that I’d finally gotten the promotion at work I have been waiting on for years. It’s my dream job, but it also means moving out of state; her exact response was, “You can’t move—what about me?” She told me I had to “stay for the baby,” things got heated, and she accused me of abandoning her like I did when I went to college. I told her to grow up and hung up on her.

My sister has always been clingy but I figured she’d gotten past that after graduating college and getting married. I am so angry I can’t even imagine looking at her right now. I resent the fact she claims I abandoned her when I sacrificed my own childhood to raise her, and our father killed himself working to provide for us. Things weren’t perfect, I was a teenager, but I did my best. For her to fling that back in my face now—I honestly don’t know how to get past this.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cut the Cord

• Options
    Family counseling? If not, you need to explain to her how this made you feel; that you love her and you're excited about the baby, but you also need to do what's right for you. 
  • Options
    Sister is going so be a parent, she's scared. LW seems like to be the only family nearby. LW said they are the surrogate parent, this is why she's clinging/clug to LW.
  • Options

Sister is going so be a parent, she's scared. LW seems like to be the only family nearby. LW said they are the surrogate parent, this is why she's clinging/clug to LW.

Yah I get that. But LW also needs to live her life and it's not fair of the sister to put it all on her. Sure sister is scared, but she's also an adult. 
  • Options

Yah I get that. But LW also needs to live her life and it's not fair of the sister to put it all on her. Sure sister is scared, but she's also an adult. 

True but would you think the same way if LW was actually the mother?
  • Options
    The little sister is being absurd regardless of what kind of relationship they had growing up. Many people do not have their parents or family around while they are starting a family and having children. H and I are having a baby soon and both of our parents live an expensive plane flight away. Both of our parents started and raised their families without any family living closer than a long and expensive plane flight or two. That's the way life goes. 
  • Options
    I'm sensitive to both sides.

LW had to grow up fast and basically parented from the time she was 15.....now the person she parented who is 26 and married wants her to (again) put her life on hold to hold her hand? 

On the other hand, sister probably sees LW as a mother figure. She's probably sad LW is moving, not just for the baby but for herself as well. And she's feeling scared/emotionally needy. 

LW isn't wrong, sister needs to grow up. But her delivery was a little cold, IMHO.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I would.  Parents aren't beholden to grown children any more than siblings are, and are free to live their lives as they see fit.  If that means moving to a new state to pursue something that is in their best interests, then that's what that means.  I would never expect, demand, or even ask my parents to cancel all their retirement plans to stay local and help me raise my own child with my husband.  Any help they wish to provide would be wonderful and appreciated, but it is not their job or obligation to help me raise my own child.

Exactly!
  • Options

I'm not even sure that matters. LW never chose to have a child, and never should have had the responsibility of raising one in the first place. Kudos to her that she did, and she was strong enough to get all three siblings through to college/the military. But that seems irrelevant to the fact that sister isn't treating her like a young(ish) adult with her own life to figure out, but instead as a permanent support system. 
  • Options

Absolutely. Just like a child isn't required to stay to look after an aging parent, a parent is not required to stay to look after a grandchild. People have children and raise them all by themselves all of the time. Is help appreciated? Sure but not required and shouldn't be expected.
  • Options
    There is absolutely some family counseling that needs to take place here!  Yes, the Dad worked 80 hour weeks to provide, LW was the Mom AND the Dad at 15.  This makes the little sis's relationship perception FAR more that there needs to be counseling involved because little Sis sees her as the parent if questions come up as a new Mom and who to go to for emotional support.  I hate to say it, but it's a "nip in the bud" counseling because this has the makings of all things red flags risks for PPD/PPP for LS.  It also would be in LW's benefit to attend this counseling in that she can in a safe environment set those boundaries as a SISTER because LW really doesn't understand that she did have the Mom AND Dad role for LS nor does LS really connect that adult dynamic that this is her sister not parents and how to grieve because it is a form of grief!