Wedding Woes

Who Is This a Problem For?

Mallory, you’ve talked a lot lately about the moral decrepitude of those who interrupt the sleep of others—those who allow their alarms to run for hours, those who awaken sleeping spouses (no arguments here, those people are awful). But you’ve also decried the snooze button and those who need multiple alarms. But what else is a heavy sleeper to do? I have always needed very loud, very insistent alarms to wake me. My high school alarm clock woke the whole house, but it was the only way for me to get out of bed in time short of being shaken awake manually by another person. I quickly learn to snooze any alarm in my sleep, and it’s not a choice I’m really making when I’m half-asleep. Vibrating smartwatch alarms are easily slept through or snoozed. I don’t have a sleep disorder, I’m just a very heavy sleeper and not a morning person. What should we be doing? What is your solution for the other end of the snooze stick?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Who Is This a Problem For?

• My sister and my husband. Both super heavy sleepers. They both have the same trick though. Set the alarm tone to their ring tone, missing a phone call always snaps them into alertness.
  • edited April 2017

My sister and my husband. Both super heavy sleepers. They both have the same trick though. Set the alarm tone to their ring tone, missing a phone call always snaps them into alertness.

This is a great idea! I'll have to try it.

ETA: I just changed my alarm tone to "Uptown Funk." No way I'll hit snooze after that!