Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR - how much do I tip a housekeeper who owns her own business?

I've recently engaged a housekeeper (yay!) to come clean our condo every other week. We agreed on a rate per job (not per hour) and she owns her own business - she used to clean rooms at a hotel and went on her own a few years ago. She's cleaning my place right now and she's fantastic! I'm about to write her a check and i wasn't sure....20%? Or is this one of those "you do'nt tip someone who sets her own prices" kind of deals?

Re: NWR - how much do I tip a housekeeper who owns her own business?

• My housekeeper owns her own business. She charges me $60, I always tip $20 because she's undercharging me, and $100 at Christmas. 
  • Cool! This is the first time she cleaned for me - her rate is $80, but since this was the first time it took longer than it normally would. I tipped her $20 but going foward I'll probably forgo the tip and give her a christmas bonus.
  • I just want to live vicariously through you, @KahluaKoala.  Right now, I'm the only one with a f/t job.  But when my H gets work, hiring a housekeeper to do a 2x monthly deep clean is something I'm looking forward to!

I "not so subtly" dropped that idea to H a couple months ago.  He did not take the initiative to deep clean, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I just want to live vicariously through you, @KahluaKoala.  Right now, I'm the only one with a f/t job.  But when my H gets work, hiring a housekeeper to do a 2x monthly deep clean is something I'm looking forward to!

I "not so subtly" dropped that idea to H a couple months ago.  He did not take the initiative to deep clean, lol.

This is exactly what we're doing! We still have to clean up after ourselves, but a 2x per month deep clean is affordable and puts us in such a better "starting" point. Both of us are acceptably neat, and we both work full time, so it's a gift to us both!