Wedding Party

Bridesmaid can't attend

Hello!  I know I'm not the only person to have this dilemma, so I'm hoping someone has had experience with this and can help!  My best friend (since kindergarten) is a bridesmaid in my October 1 wedding in Colorado.  She lives in Florida.  However...she just found out that she's pregnant, and her doctor has told her that traveling at 33 weeks to high elevation is absolutely out of the question.  

I totally get it, so that's not the problem.  What I'm looking for are some ways to include her before and maybe during the actual wedding from afar.  I saw one post that suggested taking pictures of us prior to the wedding, and I love that idea--I'll be in Florida about 2 months before the wedding so we could do it then.  
Her mom and possibly her step-son will be attending the actual wedding, so maybe there's a way they could help with this too.  Would it be weird to do something like have her FaceTime in?  Or her step-son stand in for her?  

If anybody has any creative or even off-the-wall ideas that could help, I'm totally on board for considering anything!  Thanks!

Re: Bridesmaid can't attend

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Nice of you to think of your friend!

Still include her in your program (if you are having one). Send her the bouquet you would have had her carry (if you are getting bouquets). And facetime, or give her a call during your reception, or get someone to video you on your phone and send her a personal little video message (perhaps while you're getting ready, or if your FH is also close with her, sometime during the reception with the two of you).

I wouldn't have her step-son, or anyone else, stand in for her.
  • I love the idea of taking some photos with her when you're visiting and FaceTiming. I also think sending her flowers or a corsage would be really special. I don't think I'd have her son or anyone "stand in" for her. 
  • edited May 2017
    FaceTime definitely helps.
    One of my BMs lived across country and couldn't attend things, so some things {like showing ladies the dress, etc} I would facetime her, and for other things like shower, etc I would take a video and send it to her.

Note: recording ceremony anyways would be good to do. One of my coworkers couldn't attend ceremony and came later, so I could show her. It also works for the others who couldn't attend, etc
  • Heck, I was 38 weeks and drove to the middle of BFN IA and back.  The bigger issue for her at 33w would be the airlines more than the altitude.  Airlines can be a ROYAL PITA if you're noticeably PG and are known to preclude someone from being on the flight.  

If you want to go a step further, after she delivers, the second week home arrange delivery of a meal comparable to your wedding meal!