Wedding Party

Flower Grandmas

I saw a few pictures of flower grandmas on Pinterest, and immediately became OBSESSED! I have two sons who will be in the wedding, but we have no little girls in our family. I didn't want to borrow anyone's kid, and I didn't want to have someone in the wedding party for the sake of having a role filled. So we've been planning all along to not have flower girls. Then, flower grandmas! I asked my grandma and granny today, and they were both happy and giddy to fill this role! Honestly, having my grandmas as my flower girls is the most exciting thing to happen to my wedding. 

My question is, has anyone else had flower grandmas? Did you have them walk down when flower girls typically Do? (I think they'd make a wonderful opening act.) Do they just get baskets, or do I adorn them with flower crowns or tiaras and wrist ribbons like you would a 5 year old girl? 

I know they'll be more than thrilled to go along with anything I toss out there, just wondering details of anyone else who had flower grandmas.

Re: Flower Grandmas

• Yes, they're old. No, that doesn't mean they have to get nosegays and sit down. They both loved the idea, were happy to have a part, and they both have spunky, fun loving personalities. BOTH asked if they get special dresses. It's fun. Fun for me to see the ladies I love have a more important role, fun for guests to not sit through the stuffy traditional wedding party, and fun for my grandmas to let loose and get to be silly. My grandmas are fun loving and jump at the chance to do anything they haven't gotten to do before.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if they skipped and danced their way down the isle.

One grandma attended a cousins wedding last summer, and has more pictures of herself with the props from the photo booth than the actual wedding. I know she'll be bragging for months about how she got to be a flower girl. 

You're acting like I'm going to dress up a wheelchair bound lady in a tutu and fairy wand and push her down the isle and give her time outs for any bad behavior.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    So, you already asked them, and NOW you want our opinion?
    I am a grandmother.  I would never want to do this.  I think the idea is ridiculous, and I won't be the only one who does.   Flower girls are completely unnecessary, as are ring bearers and multiple attendants. 
    It is too late to un-ask your Grandmothers.  I feel sorry for them.  Why did you post?  Why didn't you ask this question before you committed?  Did you really think everyone would say "Ooo, how adorable?"
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• CMGragain said:

So, you already asked them, and NOW you want our opinion?
    I am a grandmother.  I would never want to do this.  I think the idea is ridiculous, and I won't be the only one who does.   Flower girls are completely unnecessary, as are ring bearers and multiple attendants. 
    It is too late to un-ask your Grandmothers.  I feel sorry for them.  Why did you post?  Why didn't you ask this question before you committed?  Did you really think everyone would say "Ooo, how adorable?"

Of course.  Because if it's on Pinterest it's obviously brilliant and appropriate...

Or Etsy
  • I had a very spunky and energetic granny, and there is no way she would want a role traditionally given to a child. It seems really infantilizing to me. If you want to show off your grandmas' personalities, you could include them in the processional WITHOUT throwing flower petals. I would get them a corsage, or a small bouquet or nosegay (or whatever else the BMs are carrying). If they would like to wear a dress in the same color as the BMs, that would give the impression they're in the wedding party but otherwise anything they want to wear would be fine. You could also take some silly or fun photos with them!

Also, you don't NEED flower girls. We don't have any small children in our family, so we had no flower girl or ring bearer. Still got married.
  • OP, I think the reason it seems infantalizing to a lot of people is that you only ever see grandmas or elderly people or young children asked to fill this role. I have yet to see anyone come on here or know anyone in real life who asks, say, their 25-year-old friend or their mother or anyone else to be a flower girl. 
  • Nothing screams disrespect like dressing up your grandma like a fucking toothfairy flower girl so that your wedding can be omg so youneek!! 

Either you are acting like a grade A, cloud 9 bridezilla or you're trolling. Either way, not cool. 
    *********************************************************************************

• What a terrible idea. 
  • flantasticflantastic member
    edited April 2017
    They are grown women. If they want to process with flower petals or something, fine. As a guest, I don't think I would see this as a cute "opening act" but rather think, "...why?"

But you absolutely should let them dress themselves in whatever they want to wear for this role. You don't get to dress up your grandmother like a doll. (Obviously, the same goes for bridesmaids too - they need to have input into what they're wearing or you're essentially dressing them up as props for your wedding.)

• Since your grandmothers are excited about being called flower grandmas, you should get their input. They want special dresses? You should take them shopping and let them pick out their own dresses. They could find something suitable in the MOB department of a bridal salon or at their favorite department store. I've never seen flower girls throw petals at weddings, except on TV. Ask your grandmothers if they'd like nosegays, tussy mussies or corsages.

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-tussy-mussy-3489494

SITB.......I never knew what a tussy mussy was (that's a tongue twister!) until my daughter received one for a prom she attended.  Thanks for the memory, @MairePoppy !

• SP29SP29 member
    You asked if you dress/attire them like a 5 year old and you are wondering why people find the idea distasteful??? Would you dress yourself or your MOH like a 5 year old? No- you would never ask the question, because you are adults.

If you would like your grandmothers to walk as part of your processional, go for it! If they want to wear a special outfit- go for it! They can wear the same or similar colour as your BMs, but let them pick what they are comfortable wearing. Give them a bouquet or corsage/ nosegay, but don't give them what you would give a 5 year old unless all of your BMs are carrying a basket of flowers. They don't need a title, they can be part of the processional without one. You can have ring bearers without flower girls.

• OP, I think the reason it seems infantalizing to a lot of people is that you only ever see grandmas or elderly people or young children asked to fill this role. I have yet to see anyone come on here or know anyone in real life who asks, say, their 25-year-old friend or their mother or anyone else to be a flower girl. 

I was 23 when I got married. My friend was 22 at the time and she wanted to be my flower girl. We joked about it, but she actually wasn't. 

• missfrodo said:

YogaSandy said:

OP, I think the reason it seems infantalizing to a lot of people is that you only ever see grandmas or elderly people or young children asked to fill this role. I have yet to see anyone come on here or know anyone in real life who asks, say, their 25-year-old friend or their mother or anyone else to be a flower girl. 

I was 23 when I got married. My friend was 22 at the time and she wanted to be my flower girl. We joked about it, but she actually wasn't. 

When I was younger, I was convinced my cats that I grew up with would be in my wedding party. I would try to train them, but .... you know ... cats

Dang, I should have asked my rabbits to be "Flower Bunnies."  They would have sat there and eaten the flowers instead of hopping down the aisle, but that's fine.  Then they could have doubled as centerpieces (you know, like the fish), unless people would mind having rabbit poop that close to their food.  They could even eat salad and green beans off people's plates!  I wonder if anyone on Pinterest has tried that yet?  If I made a pin of Flower Bunny/Bunny wedding table centerpiece, what is the danger of someone taking it seriously?

Very!  I know you were kidding and that it is a silly thought.  But even I couldn't help thinking, "Bunnies!!!  So cute!  Aaaahhhh, they WOULD eat the flowers instead of carrying them.  So cute!"  In my mind, they were decidedly less cute as centerpieces.  More like (as I lift it off the table), "Here you go, cute bunny, I think you'll like the floor better."

Since your grandmothers are excited about being called flower grandmas, you should get their input. They want special dresses? You should take them shopping and let them pick out their own dresses. They could find something suitable in the MOB department of a bridal salon or at their favorite department store. I've never seen flower girls throw petals at weddings, except on TV. Ask your grandmothers if they'd like nosegays, tussy mussies or corsages.

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-tussy-mussy-3489494

I'm surprised!  I've never seen a flower girl that didn't!  It must be a regional thing.

Now I have to tell my cute FG story.  My niece, who was 5 at the time, was asked by my mom if she wanted to carry a small bouquet...like her mom and aunt...or if she wanted to carry a basket of rose petals to drop on the ground.  My niece, with a bit of disdain, replied back, "I want a basket of rose petals!  THAT'S what flower girls are supposed to do, Grandma."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy Not sure if petal tossing is a regional thing. Most of the weddings I've attended have been church weddings. Tossing anything on the floor wasn't allowed because it's a pain to clean up. 

• @short+sassy Not sure if petal tossing is a regional thing. Most of the weddings I've attended have been church weddings. Tossing anything on the floor wasn't allowed because it's a pain to clean up. 

That makes perfect sense!  My wedding was outside.  I was a flower girl in my aunt's wedding and threw flower petals.  It was at a church, but the ceremony was in the outside garden.

Come to think of it, I've been to a lot of outside weddings.  There was one church wedding where petals were strewn down the aisle but, now that I think about it, that may not have happened at some of the "inside" church weddings I've been to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a church wedding, and the plan was for the FG to drop flowers. She was older for a FG (7 or 8, I think), but super shy, so she didn't actually drop any.