Wedding Woes
Options

A 'holy shit' 4 men. :o

Dear Prudence,
This February, my boyfriend of eight years broke up with me when he found out I was pregnant. We’d been temporarily in a long-distance relationship when he had to move across the country for his job. I was overjoyed to learn I was pregnant and thought we could get married after I moved out to join him. My boyfriend, however, was livid—he was starting a new job, we only saw each other once a month, how could I have gotten pregnant? Was it even his? How could I be so selfish? I must have gotten pregnant on purpose to sabotage his career.

I begged him to visit me, and when he didn’t, I flew out to see him. We got into a huge fight at the airport, broke up, and then I flew home and got an abortion. I didn’t want to be a single mother and the only decent thing he did for me was to mail a check to help with the cost of the procedure. I haven’t heard a word from him since—until last Friday. He was in town and stopped by my office and asked if we could talk. We went out for coffee and he said he wants me back, says the abortion was a huge mistake, that he was horrible and unfair and he wants to get married and have a family with me.

I’m reeling. Part of me wants nothing to do with him, but another part of me wants to take him back. I still love him—he was my first everything and we’ve been together since college—but the way he treated me makes me want to back away. However, I also know he was stressed at his job, plus the fact that we were long-distance, and how he acted was really out of character. We were happy together for eight years, until the last six months. It’s stupid to take him back, right? I’m hurting and confused and I don’t know what to do.

—Contemplating Reunion

Re: A 'holy shit' 4 men. :o

• Options
    Yes, it's stupid to take him back. 
  • Options
    it's stupid to get beck together, yes. 

I have a friend who had a baby with her long term live-in BF. She was a few years younger than him (22-23ish when she had the baby) but they had been together for 8 years and lived together for at least 5. He had a steady job (oilfield services, so paid well) and was a bit older than her so this wasn't exactly a life-ruining event for him. About 4-6 months after their son was born, baby daddy pulled the same shit as jagoff in OP. "this baby isn't mine. he has red hair and you're [half] Japanese, and i don't have red hair so there's no way that i'm the dad. you're a dirty cheater, etc. " and kicked her out. Luckily her parents live in town, so she was able to stay with them and get herself back on track. She got him to take a DNA test, and he is the father, so she got him to pay court ordered child support before he skipped town. He would usually pay but basically wanted nothing to do with her or his son. So ~2 years ago (son was ~4 at the time) he decided that he's going to come back to town for a visit, and convinces her to let him stay at her house. Slowly worms his way back in for a year and then took off again. 

Friend makes some poor choices in regards to men, by I am proud if her for finishing college, getting a masters degree, getting an amazing job that she loves, and buying her first, and now second home. Her parents are still super supportive (babysitting, etc.) but she's done so much work to get where she is. 
  • Options
    Nothing more than what everyone else has said, but I can't help but be glad she at least had OPTIONS .... *points back to president and health care*
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It makes me feel sad for the LW that she's questioning whether or not she should take him back.  What's she been through that would make any of his behavior seem anything other than awful? 
  • Options

Hey...if you're okay with being treated like shit every time he's stressed then go for it. I personally don't like being treated that way so I'd tell him to take a long walk off a short pier.

^^^All of this. 
  • Options

I think the biggest thing for me...aside from the horror of this guy...is, it wasn't like it was the next day or even a week later.  And he was at her door, begging for her forgiveness, begging her to take him back because he was such an enormous tool and he knows he was.  I'd be at least a little more sympathetic with that.  I don't have anything to do with people that have anger problems but, let's face it, that isn't a deal breaker for a lot of people. 

Although she doesn't say exactly how long it was before he did that, the impression is it was a pretty long time.

So each and every day during that time.  He was CHOOSING to not apologize to her.  He was CHOOSING to not contact her.  He was CHOOSING to forsake her when she needed him most.  Those are not qualities anybody wants in a partner.

A guy who blows his top for no reason, but at least comes to his senses quickly and it being out of character for him, is one thing.  That part can be some of the excuses she is using for him, like stress.  But he never apologized to her until...oh! he happened to be in town.  Not even to see her specifically.

Not to mention, this guy still lives long distance.  She'd be really foolish to MOVE AWAY for this guy and "see if the relationship works out". 

All that equals he wanted a little pickle tickle.
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2017

Uncertainty about the baby and being stressed is normal - treating her like sh**, not so much.  We kept DS secret until I was 22w along because of how much stress we had going on in DH's side of the family! That said, neither responds to stress well, LW needs to run like the wind!!