Chit Chat

Walking down the aisle alone.

Hello everyone. I need advice. I have always dreamed of walking down the aisle alone but I know it might upset people. I've been with my high school sweetheart for almost 8 years. It doesn't help that me and my parents have a rocky relationship right now either. I'm afraid they are going to think I'm just trying to get at them, but this has been something I've wanted to do forever. Do I please them (even though they have not helped with our wedding) or do I make myself happy? Help!

Re: Walking down the aisle alone.

• Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
     Hello everyone. I need advice. I have always dreamed of walking down the aisle alone but I know it might upset people. I've been with my high school sweetheart for almost 8 years. It doesn't help that me and my parents have a rocky relationship right now either. I'm afraid they are going to think I'm just trying to get at them, but this has been something I've wanted to do forever. Do I please them (even though they have not helped with our wedding) or do I make myself happy? Help!
    This has nothing to do with who walks you down the aisle (if anyone).

You should do what makes you happy (since no one HAS to walk the bride down the aisle), but be prepared for the hurt feelings that might follow.  

• If you want to walk down the aisle alone, then walk down the aisle alone. Who pays or helps has nothing to do with it. 

Without getting into a lot of detail, do you think the rockiness in the relationship with your folks will settle down before the wedding? Or is it long-term rockiness? If it's just a little spat, I would wait until things cool off and are going well to tell them this if you think they'll jump to conclusions. That way, they might better see that this has nothing to do with rockiness or anger and everything to do with what you've always wanted.
    *********************************************************************************

• If you want to walk alone, walk alone. Simple as that.

If people question, maybe just explain you'd prefer to do it alone.
  • If you want to walk alone, do it. This is one of the few areas of your wedding which is about YOU.

If compromise now in order to not hurt anyone's feelings, I feel like you're setting precedent for your marriage. Will you choose to live in a town close to your parents instead of taking a dream job across the state, or make childrearing decisions based on what your parents want (if you ever have kids)? If this is what you've dreamt of for your wedding, you should stay true to that. 
  • The only thing about walking down the aisle alone is that you might need an arm to steady you, especially if you will be wearing high heels.  There are many options.  You and your FI could walk down the aisle together.  (My sister did this.)  There is nothing wrong with you walking by yourself.  If that is really what you want to do, go for it!  Just think about those shoes!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If you want to walk alone, you just have to tell your parents that's what you prefer to do, and don't let anyone pressure you to change your plans. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • CMGragain said:
    The only thing about walking down the aisle alone is that you might need an arm to steady you, especially if you will be wearing high heels.  There are many options.  You and your FI could walk down the aisle together.  (My sister did this.)  There is nothing wrong with you walking by yourself.  If that is really what you want to do, go for it!  Just think about those shoes!
    If you select a pair of shoes that don't allow you to comfortably and steadily walk down the aisle, you need to pick a different pair of shoes. Your wedding day is a long day, and you're on your feet for most of it. Picking a pair of shoes you can't walk in is a mistake.

OP, I'm with the others. It's your dream to walk down the aisle by yourself. That's what you should do. There's no reason to look for other options. If your parents get their feelings hurt about that, too bad for them. 
  • edited April 2017
    This is your Day, no one not even your parents should decide what you want on that big day. But i were you i try to talk about it like sitting down altogether and just tell them that this is what you want.

• This is your Day, no one not even your parents should decide what you want on that big day.* But i were you i try to talk about it like sitting down altogether and just tell them that this is what you want.

*in this instance, where no guest comfort is involved
  • I always thought I would walk down the aisle alone. In fact, if my father was still alive, I'm pretty sure I would have walked down the aisle alone. But he died when I was 17, and I thought that people would see me walking down the aisle alone and their thought would be "Oh poor girl, her dad died when she was a kid", and I didn't want that. So my brother walked me down the aisle. For me, the compromise was the best decision. 

What about walking halfway down the aisle alone, and then meeting 1 or both parents? Or some other compromise?
  • I myself prefer to not walk alone but people have their own preference and its your wedding.