Wedding Etiquette Forum

Onsite hair & makeup travel fee. Do I also tip?

My hair stylist charges a $200 travel fee on top of services and the hair stylist charges $150 travel fee on top her services.
Do I tip on top of these fees?

Re: Onsite hair & makeup travel fee. Do I also tip?

• How far away do they have to go? Those fees seem a bit exorbitant to me. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I saw $100 as a travel fee and I'm in an expensive area...how far are they traveling?
    Ditto @geebee908 though a tip says "I'm happy with the service you provided".  It shouldn't have anything to do with a travel fee (so, don't not tip bc you're paying a fee...but don't tip off service + fee, just service). 
  • I am going to tip my makeup lady, however I would Tip based on the service not the fee for travel.  so do your tip % based on the service price. 
    My hairdresser is my aunt so its a little awkward since shes doing it kinda as a "wedding gift" . I will probably give her a little something 
  • I would tip based on the service cost, but I agree with PPs the travel costs seem kind of high. How far are they having to go? Are you dead set on these particular people? 
  • Tip on the amount of the service - not the travel fee. Your tipping amount should be the same (15-20%) regardless of the travel fee. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Thank you all!
    So they will be traveling about 15-20 minutes. I called around and for some reason, all the free lance MUA & stylists have $150-200 travel fees.
    (West bloomfield, MI to Birmingham, MI)

• Thank you all!
    So they will be traveling about 15-20 minutes. I called around and for some reason, all the free lance MUA & stylists have $150-200 travel fees.
    (West bloomfield, MI to Birmingham, MI)

It sounds like it's more of an "onsite" fee versus a travel fee. Either way, you'll still just tip on the amount of the service, not the onsite/travel fee.
    *********************************************************************************

• I am going to tip my makeup lady, however I would Tip based on the service not the fee for travel.  so do your tip % based on the service price. 
    My hairdresser is my aunt so its a little awkward since shes doing it kinda as a "wedding gift" . I will probably give her a little something 

I was in a wedding once where the bride's aunt (professional hairdresser) did the brides and all the BMs hair as a "wedding gift". the BMs all pitched in and got her a nice bottle of wine and a gift card, and I think the bride gave her a gift as well. I think something like this would be less awkward than a tip, YKWIM? Just give her a gift like your parents and your bridal party

I was in a wedding once where the bride's aunt (professional hairdresser) did the brides and all the BMs hair as a "wedding gift". the BMs all pitched in and got her a nice bottle of wine and a gift card, and I think the bride gave her a gift as well. I think something like this would be less awkward than a tip, YKWIM? Just give her a gift like your parents and your bridal party

For a friend/ relative gifting services, this is fine. For a paid professional, not appropriate. If you liked the service, give money as a tip.