Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thank you note question

This is kind of a dumb question and I feel like I should know the answer but... I don't. 

My old boss gave me a very generous check for our wedding when I visited her today, with the check dated for this August. Should I send her a thank you note now or should I wait until I deposit it in August? Do I write two notes like one for now to thank her (I did thank her in person but I didn't know what was in the envelope so I feel like that doesn't count at all lol) and then after I deposit too?

Please help! Thank you ❤️

Re: Thank you note question

• This is kind of a dumb question and I feel like I should know the answer but... I don't. 

My old boss gave me a very generous check for our wedding when I visited her today, with the check dated for this August. Should I send her a thank you note now or should I wait until I deposit it in August? Do I write two notes like one for now to thank her (I did thank her in person but I didn't know what was in the envelope so I feel like that doesn't count at all lol) and then after I deposit too?

Always write thank you notes ASAP.  You only need to write one (unless she gives you something else later on).  This will also prevent you from forgetting to write one in August, when I'm sure things will be much crazier than they are now.  

• levioosa said:

This is kind of a dumb question and I feel like I should know the answer but... I don't. 

Always write thank you notes ASAP.  You only need to write one (unless she gives you something else later on).  This will also prevent you from forgetting to write one in August, when I'm sure things will be much crazier than they are now.  

Ooh thank you ❤️ I have another dumb question, lol. I don't live here anymore so I don't go home until Tuesday (where all my pretty thank you notes are). Can I wait until Tuesday to send or should I just buy a thank you card today and send it today? 

• levioosa said:

Ooh thank you ❤️ I have another dumb question, lol. I don't live here anymore so I don't go home until Tuesday (where all my pretty thank you notes are). Can I wait until Tuesday to send or should I just buy a thank you card today and send it today? 

Thank you notes should be sent within a couple weeks of receipt of the gift. 

Waiting until Tuesday is totally fine.
    *********************************************************************************

• That seems really odd that she post-dated the check! That means you can't cash it until August. So essentially you're going to be writing a thank you note now for something she's not actually giving you until August. 

• MandyMost said:

That seems really odd that she post-dated the check! That means you can't cash it until August. So essentially you're going to be writing a thank you note now for something she's not actually giving you until August. 

Right? That's why I didn't really know how to handle the thank you note! She asked me for registry information (we keep meaning to set one up because we've had lots of people ask... just I'm not gonna lie, I never really felt like doing it lol). And when I said I didn't have one, she wrote the check. I think she wasn't sure if I'd take the fiancé's name and wanted me to use the check specifically for the wedding? I think? I'm going to write the thank you note on Tuesday anyway, just to make sure I express my gratitude before I forget.