Wedding Etiquette Forum

Room block release/invite timing

Hi Everyone, 

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster... My fiance and I are getting married in Northern CA this October (10/7). Everyone but one family (including us) is flying in for the wedding. October is high season for wine country so we quickly secured hotel blocks at three different hotels and sent out our save the dates a few months ago with our wedding website on the back that has info on accommodations. My concern is that we have to start releasing our rooms fairly soon. One hotel has a cut off of 6/6 and the other two are 8/6. We planned on sending our invites out 8 weeks in advance so no one feels B listed but at that point, we won't have any rooms held. Two of the hotels we have blocks at are already completely booked outside of the rooms we have and I know the other isn't far behind. We have talked extensively to our family/friends about booking early, and I don't want to nag them, but I'm not sure the best way to proceed with our invite timing. I'd hate for someone to get our invite, want to come, and then not have anywhere to stay... Also, our wedding website was on the back of our save the date and I have heard from several family members that the didn't ever flip the STD over to see it... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Re: Room block release/invite timing

• I'd send an email out reminding people of the deadlines. 
  • lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    You said you've talked to them extensively so let them do their thing. I was worried about the same thing but everyone that wanted a room got one and the rest chose their own air bnbs/bed and breakfast or different hotel. 

• Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I really appreciate it. 
  • I sent out emails (in circles--one to my college friends, one to my family, one to his family, etc.) reminding about the hotel dates and sending the links. But at some point you just have to let it go and let them fend for yourself. 

I also, however, talked to the hotel who was able to let us know if someone canceled their room so we could give it to someone else instead of releasing it back to the public. And the hotel was also able to add a few last-minute rooms at the rate after the deadline (even though they seemed booked up!). So my advice is make sure you're in good with the hotel people. :-) 
  • You can also email/call the hotels and ask them to send you roster for your block. When I saw our rosters, I noticed some VIPs hadn't booked (an uncle and my grandmother, who he has POA and most control over). I specifically called my uncle and asked him ablut his accomodation plans, then pressured him to book early. 

(He still wound up waiting and not getting rooms nearby, but at that point I had to step back and let him figure it out himself....another lesson learned.)
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Agreed this is what STDs are for, so I wouldn't send your invites out any earlier.

No harm in sending out an e-mail though letting guests know it is high season, many rooms out of the block are booked and your block is releasing soon.

At the end of the day, your guests are adults and are responsible for their own accommodations.

A few years back, DH and I were invited to a friend's out of town wedding that had a room block. I had never used a room block before, so the release date passed before I booked our accommodations. Sure enough, the rooms at the hotel were all booked including every hotel in that town because there was a dragon boat competition that weekend! I booked a hotel room in the next town over (20 min drive). I learned that lesson! But I also adulted and figured out alternative arrangements myself.

• SP29 said:

Agreed this is what STDs are for, so I wouldn't send your invites out any earlier.

No harm in sending out an e-mail though letting guests know it is high season, many rooms out of the block are booked and your block is releasing soon.

This is exactly what we did. We got married on a holiday weekend, where there is a huge race held two days after our wedding. We put the room block info on the STDs, told VIPs directly (who then spread the word to family/friends) and emailed when the block got close to full and the deadline approached. 

Guests are are free to make their own arrangements so give them the info and let it be.