Snarky Brides

Gatsby weddings

So I love 1920s/ Art Deco  style and this is not snark on that.  But the article about Gatsby Themed weddings cracked me up.

Here's the link if you want it but all slides included below in case you don't want to click through. (Not in order though)

http://reductress.com/post/gatsby-themed-wedding-ideas-that-say-i-didnt-read-the-book/?slide=1

Re: Gatsby weddings

• Oh man, so much this! Thank you for the laugh. :)
  • Love the idea. Always laugh when people say it's "Gatsby" - although I get it, he was known for the great parties .... but still lol
  • Why would you have a wedding theme that is essentially saying 'We're thick as mud'

• Why would you have a wedding theme that is essentially saying 'We're thick as mud'

Because it's so GLAMOROUS!  ;)
  • edited May 2017
    Oops, double post.

I'm glad you posted the slides, because my phone is being an assbutt and doesn't want to click through the slideshow. 
  • I love when people say they want a Gatsby themed wedding, murder and adultery always scream "good times" to me! Also, booze.
  • Thank you for this.  I had to read this book 3 years in a row in high school, then AGAIN in college.  I didn't even like it the first time, so by college I was like WE GET IT!!!  THE GREEN LIGHT AND THE EYES OF DR. TJ ECKLEBERG ARE SO SYMBOLIC!  Cannot.  Freaking.  Stand it.  Had the same teacher the 3 times in high school too, so I couldn't just copy my paper from the year before.

• Absolutely hilarious. I'll never understand why it has to be "Gatsby." Why can't it just be 1920s? 

Honestly, there aren't too many classic novels you'd want to use a a theme for a wedding! 

Lol, my first thought went to my favorite book "To Kill a Mockingbird", could you even imagine what that wedding would look like!!?!

• Absolutely hilarious. I'll never understand why it has to be "Gatsby." Why can't it just be 1920s? 

Honestly, there aren't too many classic novels you'd want to use a a theme for a wedding! 

Lol, my first thought went to my favorite book "To Kill a Mockingbird", could you even imagine what that wedding would look like!!?!

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, it's a love story, correct?

Slaughterhouse 5! For those "non-traditional" romantics! 
  • Some of my favorite books are "The Handmaid's Tale," "Their Eyes Were Watching God," "The Awakening," and "Tess of the d'Urbervilles." Big nope to all of those as wedding themes.

"Stranger in a Strange Land" would be an awesome theme if you have open-minded guests.
  • Romeo & Juliet - a wedding themed around a pair of teenagers rebelling so hard against their parents that killing themselves seems like a totally romantic way to stick it to their parents. 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Romeo & Juliet - a wedding themed around a pair of teenagers rebelling so hard against their parents that killing themselves seems like a totally romantic way to stick it to their parents. 

I used to substitute teach, and I think that is the *worst* play to teach high schoolers!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017
    Now I am really laughing!  I just booked a cruise for my daughter's family and for us, for next year on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas.  Guess what they call their main dining room? "The Great Gatsby Dining Room!"  I'll be sure to pack my sequins.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

When H and I got engaged, my MIL commented on one of the photos on FB, "Romeo and Juliet!" I'm not sure what she meant that by that. I guess she wasn't thinking of the full story because she is a wonderful person, and I know it wasn't a commentary on our relationship. Still quite odd though. 
  • My shower was "Old Hollywood" style because I love Audrey. I had to ensure it wasn't specifically "Breakfast at Tiffany's" theme because Holly is basically a prostitute lmao!

That's one wedding theme where you DEFINITELY want to make sure the bride/groom are getting their specific and "special" glasses of champagne.  No accidentally poisoning the rest of the guests!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My favorite book (if I can pick one) is probably Wuthering Heights. You really don't want your wedding to be based on that one! 

My favourite book is "Well of Lost Plots" by Jasper Fforde and it takes place in Book World, in it Miss Havisham has to mediate a "Rage Counselling Session" in Wuthering Heights, it's one of my favourite scenes in a book. 

• My favorite book (if I can pick one) is probably Wuthering Heights. You really don't want your wedding to be based on that one! 

My favourite book is "Well of Lost Plots" by Jasper Fforde and it takes place in Book World, in it Miss Havisham has to mediate a "Rage Counselling Session" in Wuthering Heights, it's one of my favourite scenes in a book. 

Holy crap I need to read this book!!!!! 

I used to substitute teach, and I think that is the *worst* play to teach high schoolers!

I disagree.  I taught it, but with a reality twist.  I asked my students if they thought Romeo and Juliet were truly in love.  The all said "No way!"  They related it to junior high school crushes, and pointed out that Romeo was fickle, and didn't have a good history of long term relationships.  We also discussed teen suicide.  I was impressed how realistic my students were about love and depression.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I love this list. Really shows how much many people put the theme over the meaning of a wedding. But his reminds me of a theme I really love, which is a sort of dark twist to the great gatsby theme. An American horror story-hotel wedding. Similar in being Art Deco, but obviously dark and so so awesome.
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_581a5a1be4b08f9841ad12c2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Honestly, I really don't like wedding themes at all.  Weddings don't need themes.  It isn't a stage production.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Holy crap I need to read this book!!!!! 

It's a series of books, I highly recommend them. If you like literature, they are fun.
  • I had a 1920's vibe to my wedding and had the good sense to not call it a "Gatsby theme." If anything, we referred to the art deco style of the venue and you better buh-lieve I found myself a knock-off replica of the hairband in the final slide. It's gorgeous. I also had visions of dripping in pearls but that didn't happen. My dress did have a 1920's aesthetic to it, says my mom who's an artist, but I didn't really notice- I just liked the beading design.