Wedding Etiquette Forum

Promo code for Uber/Lyft credit instead of shuttle from hotel to venue

Hi there! I'm considering providing my out of town guests with a promo code for credit to use Lyft for transportation between the the hotel, in downtown Philadelphia, and the venue, about 20-30min up the Delaware river.  One concern is that guests would not travel in groups of 4, and we'd have no way to monitor this, which would end up costing us more. I'm also concerned about guests being late, but have considered using one code for the trip to the venue that expires at a time that ensure guests leave the hotel on time.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or any gut reactions?  Thank you!

Re: Promo code for Uber/Lyft credit instead of shuttle from hotel to venue

• @JediElizabeth, it's great to see you! Can't wait for your recap!

• @JediElizabeth, it's great to see you! Can't wait for your recap!

Thank you! We're getting our professional pictures next weekend, so I'll post it after that. :)
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm a bit confused about this promo code, as I've never used one, and you mention needing to travel in groups of 4 and timelines, as well as "more cost to you".

You are not required to provided transportation to/from your venue. I think 20-30 min drive is fair in any city. For the most part, I would say let your guests figure out their own transport, but if you can get a promo code easily, no harm in sharing it with your guests. Just realize not all of them may use it and they are unlikely to travel in groups of 4.
  • We looked into creating a Lyft "event" for our wedding, because we had guests at a few hotels so a shuttle wouldn't have worked. If I remember correctly, we could have set the drop off location and time-frame, and then the pickup location and time for the end of the wedding. We could choose how many guests to offer the code for, and a certain dollar amount towards the ride. If fewer people used the code, you didn't get charged for them. Lyft gave an estimate of what that ride would cost, so we knew about how much credit to give each person.

We do have a good amount of friends & family who use Uber & Lyft, but we talked to a few OOT guests and they all seemed like they didn't feel it was necessary so we didn't end up doing it. If you DO want to do something like that, and you know your crowd typically does use those services, it may be worth looking into. I would do a price comparison between that & a shuttle though, just because it could add up quickly.

• We looked into creating a Lyft "event" for our wedding, because we had guests at a few hotels so a shuttle wouldn't have worked. If I remember correctly, we could have set the drop off location and time-frame, and then the pickup location and time for the end of the wedding. We could choose how many guests to offer the code for, and a certain dollar amount towards the ride. If fewer people used the code, you didn't get charged for them. Lyft gave an estimate of what that ride would cost, so we knew about how much credit to give each person.

We do have a good amount of friends & family who use Uber & Lyft, but we talked to a few OOT guests and they all seemed like they didn't feel it was necessary so we didn't end up doing it. If you DO want to do something like that, and you know your crowd typically does use those services, it may be worth looking into. I would do a price comparison between that & a shuttle though, just because it could add up quickly.

I've been to a few weddings where there were multiple hotels. Either they used multiple shuttles (if there were lots of guests at each hotel), or they let guests know the shuttle would be leaving from one central hotel and you were responsible for getting yourself to that shuttle if you wanted it (so likely a few dollar taxi/uber fare, instead of 30-40 dollars to get to the venue). 
  • Woah, $500 is a steal back in 2017! We are looking at $1-2k now for that.