Honeymoon Discussions

Ideas

My future in laws are insisting on paying for our honeymoon for our wedding present. The budget is 20k tops but we have no idea where we want to go. We've traveled a lot (in Europe/Costa Rica/US). We really like hiking/mountain regions, semi okay with beaches but if there are beaches we would prefer a lot of attractions in the area (not just snorkeling/etc). Any suggestions?

Re: Ideas

• What time of year?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Sorry I thought I added that...November. We live in VA...not opposed to US travel but definitely want somewhere with a lot to do and something unique different. 
  • We were planning about 2 weeks...maybe 2 weeks and like two days. Peru is definitely something we've thought about, the others sound great too, we'll have to do more research. Thanks! 
  • Your budget gives you a lot of options so that's great! 

@LondonLisa's Machu Picchu suggestion is a good one. If you like to hike, the Inca Trail is one of those bucket list items for a lot of people. Just know that you'd be there at the start of the rainy season where it rains pretty heavily most days. The good thing is that it's warmer, cheaper, and less busy, but the bad thing is that it's rainy (obviously) and not all the trails are open. If you do this, you could go the Galapagos, Easter Island, or a beach in Chile (Zapallar or Bahia Inglesa are both nice) for the second half of your trip.

Personally, I'd probably do the Southern Alps in New Zealand for a week and then spend the other week on a South Pacific beach (Bora Bora, Cook Islands, Tahiti, Fiji...). That trip has been on my list for a long time. November is actually exactly when I've looked into going - it's late spring in New Zealand, decently warm but not too hot for hiking, just before busy season, tons of beautiful scenery and flowers. Mountain adventure and relaxing beach....I'll just live vicariously through you until I'm able to take that trip. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• Oddly enough neither one of us had thought that much about NZ....now of course I'll be researching like crazy. That sounds like it might be perfect!
  • I went to NZ last year. AMAZING TRIP. We stayed in Bay of Islands, Hawke's Bay, Christchurch, and Queenstown. In Queenstown (southern alps), we stayed at Matakauri Lodge. Blanket Bay and The Rees are also nice. we did a lot of hiking and took a heli tour of Milford Sound. 

I've also been to French Polynesia, The Cook Islands, and Fiji. So many awesome places, but if you don't want to be bored, try for Moorea in French Polynesia. 

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017
    Honestly, it is wonderfully generous of your inlaws to pay for a $20,000 honeymoon/vacation.  Personally, I couldn't spend that much on a trip.  We travel often, but within a budget.  Our exotic two week trips cost about $8,000, including airfare.  I just couldn't spend that much on travel at one time.

I hope you guys already own a house.  This was our priority when we were newlyweds.  We were pleased to quietly help out our kids when they bought their own homes.  A honeymoon was not a huge priority for daughter, either, though they did take a cruise to Alaska.

I get it that the money was offered to you for the specific purpose of using it on your honeymoon.  I hope you have a wonderful trip.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017
    Just a cautionary about Machu Pichu.  If you are not used to high altitudes, you can get really sick there.  I live in Colorado, and it took us about a month to really get acclimatized.  This is for 4,500 feet.  Our OOT guests really notice it.  Machu Pichu is almost 8,000 feet above sea level.  https://www.nps.gov/romo/acute_mountain_sickness.htm
    I second New Zealand.  There is such a variety of things to do, and everyone speaks English, though they are incapable of pronouncing the short "i" vowel. :p  We did a cruise around the two main islands 14 years ago, and it was magical.  DH is into photography, and he took beautiful pictures, especially of the New Zealand Alps.  There is a wonderful scenic train that goes from Christchurch into the mountains.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Would really suggest Bali if planning to go around Asia. From Bali you can check out other islands around Bali by boat and in Bali itself there are many places to eat and enjoy. other than that, Thailand and China are a good options