Wedding Invitations & Paper

Is this wording OK?

A little background, I am my parents only daughter they and not hosting our wedding or reception. My FI and I are hosting everything. I want to honor all of my parents so I do want to make the wording a little more traditional on my invite, I have read a lot of the blog posts here and have learned a lot and thought you all would be the best to get in put. Also, some detail about the plan because of the time. We are doing a first look so that all pictures can be completed before the ceremony so there isn't extended lag time for people to eat since this is a Friday evening and some people will likely have to come from work. We are having a shorter ceremony, my cousin is being our officiant (she asked to do this and is super excited) so I expect to be starting dinner between 7 and 7:15. Let me know what you think of my wording. Thanks

Ms. Brides Mother

With

Mr. & Mrs. Brides father and stepmother

Request the honor of your presence at the

Marriage of their daughter

Bride

to

Groom

Friday, the thirteenth of October

At Six forty-five in the evening

At

Venue

Street

City

Reception immediately following Ceremony

Re: Is this wording OK?

• redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

A little background, I am my parents only daughter they and not hosting our wedding or reception. My FI and I are hosting everything. I want to honor all of my parents so I do want to make the wording a little more traditional on my invite, I have read a lot of the blog posts here and have learned a lot and thought you all would be the best to get in put. Also, some detail about the plan because of the time. We are doing a first look so that all pictures can be completed before the ceremony so there isn't extended lag time for people to eat since this is a Friday evening and some people will likely have to come from work. We are having a shorter ceremony, my cousin is being our officiant (she asked to do this and is super excited) so I expect to be starting dinner between 7 and 7:15. Let me know what you think of my wording. Thanks

Ms. Brides Mother

With

Mr. & Mrs. Brides father and stepmother

Request the honor of your presence at the

Marriage of their daughter

Bride

to

Groom

At Six forty-five in the evening

At

Venue

Street

City

Reception immediately following Ceremony

So, a couple of things.

First, @CMGragain can help you with the exact wording but I wanted to point out that the point of the invitation isn't to honor your parents. It's to honor the guests by inviting them to witness your marriage. It's right there: "Request the honor of your presence."

On that note, unless you are getting married in a church -- which is doesn't sound like you are -- it should be the pleasure of your company. The honor thing is only for church weddings. 

Finally, the invitation is meant to let your guests know who is hosting so if you and your FI are hosting, then it's inappropriate to put your parents on there. I get that you want to "honor" them, but this isn't the place to do it. But, since you are the bride and groom and it's against etiquette to specify that you are directly inviting them it would be something like this: 

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

(CMG please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this!)
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017
    There are capitalization issues that need to be addressed.  Only proper nouns should be capitalized.  The invitation should read like one long sentence.

Your wording is not correct for the situation that you have described.  The invitation is a formal note from  the HOSTS to the guests, telling them who, what, when and where.  It is not customary to list family members who are not hosting.  It is not an honor to be on an invitation!  Guests, seeing your wording, will thank your parents for inviting them, not you.  Very confusing.  When a couple hosts their own wedding, the passive voice is used, as in this wording below.  This tells your guests that you are hosting, not your parents.

I would urge you to start your ceremony at "half after six o'clock".  6:45 is just awkward, and fifteen minutes shouldn't make a difference.

Here is the correct formal wording for your invitation (non-church).

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    at three quarters after six o'clock
    Venue Name
    123 Maple Street
    Anytown, Iowa

Reception to follow

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thanks ladies I will update it accordingly. I have thought about doing it at 6:30 but wanted to give guests as much time as possible on a Friday evening to get there so my intention is right but it may be too confusing to do that. One other question does it need to be worded at half past vs. six thirty? I am worried that the wording will be confusing to some of my guest that are not accustomed to reading time in that format. I may be over thinking it though!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

Thanks ladies I will update it accordingly. I have thought about doing it at 6:30 but wanted to give guests as much time as possible on a Friday evening to get there so my intention is right but it may be too confusing to do that. One other question does it need to be worded at half past vs. six thirty? I am worried that the wording will be confusing to some of my guest that are not accustomed to reading time in that format. I may be over thinking it though!

If you want to use traditional wording, it is "half after six o'clock".  I doubt if this would confuse anyone.  This wording has been in use for 150 years.  The words "half past" are reserved for funerals.  The traditional time always includes the word "o'clock", so saying "six thirty o'clock" would really confuse people!  "6:30 PM" is an abbreviation, and you are not supposed to use any abbreviations in a formal invitation except for "Mr., Mrs. or Ms."

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg