Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How big of a cake is needed?

How many servings of cake should the wedding cake hold? I was thinking you would need more cake than guests as it may not be cut exactly to size, or people might want more than one piece. The bride is thinking some people may skip the cake, so she wants a smaller cake. Do people really pass on cake?

Re: How big of a cake is needed?

• Some do, but they're either unable to eat it for dietary reasons or weirdos who don't like cake. I'd plan to have enough cake for all the guests.
  • Err on the side of caution and make sure there is enough cake for all guests. Keep in mind whether you intend to save the top tier for your 1st anniversary. If you do, make sure there is still enough for everyone with the top tier excluded. 
  • Yes, plan for everyone to have cake. If you are having more than one flavor and are letting people get their own cake as opposed to having it served at the table, get more than enough for 1 piece per person.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Enough for a piece for each person. *I* don't ever skip cake. Some will, but better to have left overs (c'mon, who won't eat leftover cake?!?!) than not enough.
  • This is the bride who wants to tell guests how to direct deposit their cash-only gifts, and she wants to skimp on cake for those guests? I'm shocked, absolutely shocked.

• How many servings of cake should the wedding cake hold? I was thinking you would need more cake than guests as it may not be cut exactly to size, or people might want more than one piece. The bride is thinking some people may skip the cake, so she wants a smaller cake. Do people really pass on cake?

Yes, some people pass on cake. But some people also eat more than one piece. Some people drop theirs on the floor and get another one. Some people forget where they put theirs if they're around visiting and get another piece. 

There is literally not ever an excuse to run out of cake. If budget is a concern, the B&G can cut a small cake and serve cake from Costco - which is like $18 for 60 pieces of cake. 
    *********************************************************************************

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Some guests may pass on cake, but not enough that the couple shouldn't have at least one piece of cake per person.  Most of the weddings I attend have full dessert spreads (Viennese Hour), and guests still at least want a few symbolic bites of the cake.  
  • Yes Geebee, this is that wedding. I think the venue coordinator may not handle many weddings. They had a cake for 35 planned for a 100+ person wedding. I talked the bride into getting an outside cake that is wedding rather than birthday party sized, but the current cake plan is still less than the guest count. The wedding coordinator is telling her not everyone will want cake. I may try to smuggle a Costco sheet cake into the fridge during set up.
  • I admire your efforts to save her from herself (and the venue coordinator).
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2017
    GOOD cake gets eaten!  Cheap doesn't always equal good and good doesn't always equal cheap.  There is a happy middle to be had but above all else the cake is meant to be eaten.  

<verbiage removed>   O.k. having been the guest at not one but three weddings where the wait staff came to me as they put the slice of cake down next to the person next to me "We're sorry, there isn't any more cake left, the couple did not order enough!" then for the Jackwagon next to me to take ONE FREAKING BITE and say "Oh, I really don't like cake" or related thing <insert image of steam rolling out of Mesmer's ears!>...  Then the other just as horrible scenario where the person next to me gets a 4-layer filled with raspberry and lemon fillings in a 2.5x5" portion and in front of me gets plunked a 1 1/2x1 1/2" x 1" slice of aluminum pan unfilled kiddie cake because it was $.25/slice cheaper for them to finish out the portions with "sheet cake" instead of cake just like the main cake.  For less than $25 they could have served the entire room an equal portion of cake.  

This is part of the "All guests get treated equally" no better no worse" part of wedding planning.  YES, it is best to order more than enough than not enough when it comes to all things food.  It is also important to know what portion is being ordered because places like Walmart, Super Target, and Sam's use a significantly smaller portion than even the Wilton chart which is a small portion of cake to try and cut.  Leftovers can be served up as extras and snacks later in the evening or for guests to take a slice home.  If the cake is good, people would rather have more than one slice than no slice at all!  If the couple doesn't like cake, there are always other desserts or a dessert buffet to choose from.

ETA: Have 100% Costco cake if necessary but don't be mixing bakers as there are a lot of bakers who will not do weddings/events where other people's product is served.  Cake for 35 for a wedding of 100 - if no one eats the cake at other events maybe it's a pure sign that who they're using's product sucks..  js...