Wedding Woes
Options

Week 18 (I think?)

This post actually isn't about Trump, but it is politically related.

I'm seeing red over Karl Oliver, a state rep for MS.  A little background, over the last few weeks, NOLA has taken down four Confederate monuments.  The last one, and most prominent one, came down last Friday.  I copied an article that includes a hateful FB post from Oliver:

------------------------------------------------------------------

A Mississippi lawmaker posted online that he thinks Louisiana leaders should be lynched following the removal of four Confederate monuments. Karl Oliver, R-Winona, is a state representative.

On May 20, the day after the Robert E. Lee statue was removed in New Orleans, he posted the following on his Facebook page, along with a picture of the statue:

"The destruction of these monuments, erected in the loving memory of our family and fellow Southern Americans, is both heinous and horrific. If the, and I use the term extremely loosely, 'leadership' of Louisiana wishes to, in a Nazi-ish fashion, burn books or destroy historical monuments of OUR HISTORY, they should be LYNCHED! Let it be known, I will do all in my power to prevent this from happening in our State."

Mississippi's governor has denounced the representative's comments.

"Rep. Oliver's language is unacceptable and has no place in civil discourse," Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant told The Clarion-Ledger.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Really.  Really?!?  Calling for people be killed.  Because a few old monuments were taken down.  Controversy aside.  To an extent, cities can take down and put up whatever monuments/statues they want.  It happens ALL the time, without a hue or cry.

And to correct some points in his tirade.

• Nobody is burning books in NOLA.  Or anywhere else in the U.S.A. (that I know of).  So, stop with your blatant falsehood and major exaggeration. 
  • The decision to take these monuments down was long drawn out, many years process.  The public had ample opportunity to weigh in on their opinion.  There were appeals filed and heard on the issue.  Not what I call "Nazi-ish".
  • And, finally Rep. Oliver, if you actually bothered to come on down and chit chat with the good people of this city.  Instead of blasting away on your computer from a state away, in regards to something that is none of your business.  You'd find the majority of citizens, including myself, were overall glad to see these statues glorifying the fight FOR slavery, finally taken down.
Yes, color me "shocked" you will do everything in your power to prevent this from happening in your state.  Because Mississippi has always been known for their fight against racial inequality/"really heavy sarcasm". 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Week 18 (I think?)

• Options

GBCK said:

can't remember where I saw it recently, but the discussion was how the same people who are all "kids these days, what with their hipster beards and participation trophies and entitlement" are also very "how dare they take down Robert E. Lee"...
    ANd then pointed out that confederate war monuments are the ultimate participation trophy.

I am ROFL over here!  I've never heard them called participation trophies.  I am definitely borrowing that.

The biggest complaint I kept hearing about the monument removal in my neck of the woods was, "Oh, but the HISTORY.  They're destroying history."

Well, the subject of history is huge.  And if we want to put up monuments to honor people, there are 1,000+ better choices.  People who did bigger and more positive things.

Heck, next year (2018) NOLA will celebrate its 300 year anniversary.  With all that time, I'm sure we could we could pull 4 amazing people who lived here locally that are better choices with more positive impact on society.

For irony, one of the statues they took down (P.G.T. Beauregard) I think would have been a great choice for a statue...if he hadn't been wearing a Confederate uniform on it.  He was a Confederate hero, who lived most of his life in NOLA.  That's why he had a statue.  But, after the war, he fought hard for equality.  He wanted to see schools integrated.  He wanted all races to be given the right to vote.  He was really a man before his time on that front and lost some of his social standing because of it.  His fight for equality was definitely NOT the reason he was venerated with a statue.  But it should have been.

Wedding Countdown Ticker