Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Please Review my Dessert Count Ideas!

Just want to get opinions on my dessert servings. Thanks SO much in advance.

The info: Up to 130 people for a brunch wedding followed by multiple desserts. Donut wall, mini cupcakes (to cover off on the "cake" aspect) and macarons (doubling as favors). The catering also includes beignets placed on tables after the brunch buffet.

I was thinking...

175 macarons (most boxed individually with some ready to eat)
80 full-size donuts
90 mini cupcakes (3 flavors)
1 beignet basket per table

Anyone have any feedback or ideas? (I also plan to provide bags or boxes so people can take things to go.)

Re: Please Review my Dessert Count Ideas!

• lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I would add more mini cupcakes... some people might try all 3 flavors!

• kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

doyoucopy said:

Just want to get opinions on my dessert servings. Thanks SO much in advance.

The info: Up to 130 people for a brunch wedding followed by multiple desserts. Donut wall, mini cupcakes (to cover off on the "cake" aspect) and macarons (doubling as favors). The catering also includes beignets placed on tables after the brunch buffet.

I was thinking...

175 macarons (most boxed individually with some ready to eat)
    80 full-size donuts
    90 mini cupcakes (3 flavors)
    1 beignet basket per table

Anyone have any feedback or ideas? (I also plan to provide bags or boxes so people can take things to go.)

How many beignets were basket?  How many people per table?

I'm not trying to be rude, but I feel like this isn't near enough.  With such an array of desserts I think you will run into more people than you expect who will grab a macaron, a donut and a cupcake.  I'd probably aim for at least 130 cupcakes and donuts too, especially if you are providing bags and boxes.  I don't think you'll have many leftovers!

• Definitely 136 (since you'll likely have to order by the dozen) mini cupcakes.  Donuts you may want to reduce slightly since there are the beignets.  Definitely boxes over bags for the take-home..  
  • Are the individually packaged macaroons your favors? If so, that doesn't count as dessert. If that's the case, that would mean you have 45 macaroons for your dessert buffet, not 175.

I really don't think this is enough for 130 people. I'm not a caterer, but I'd up your quantities to this:

125 macaroons (on the dessert buffet) - 150 if you have two flavors
    100 donuts
    200 mini cupcakes - scale back to flavors instead of 3
    I don't know how many beignets are in a basket, but I would have at least 1 per person

The only full size dessert here are donuts. Mini cupcakes are like 1 bite, so you'd need about 3 to make up a dessert serving. And I'd consider 2 macaroons a serving. That's why I'm recommending so much more.
    *********************************************************************************

• My baker suggested 1 flavor of cupcake per guest and I was looking at full-size cupcakes. If you have 3 flavors, you need 1 per guest per flavor especially since they're minis.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ditto PP that the quantities have to increase.  I like to sample everything on a spread, even if it's just a few symbolic bites.  30 of each kind of cupcake with 130 guests is especially scarce.  
    I love the baskets of beignets!  (Baskets of zeppoles were placed on all the tables at my wedding, it was a real hit.)  The donut wall sounds magical too but I'd go 130 donuts- I'd plan on all of your guests wanting to at least try one.
  • Thanks for your input, everyone! I read up on servings per person, but apparently what I was thinking wasn't enough. Glad I could get feedback on my ideas!!!
  • I would up the quantities on everything - but especially the macaron favors. Putting only one macaron in a box is a little skimpy, IMO. I would plan for two macarons per favor box per person (so 260 macrons in 130 boxes for 130 people) plus enough macarons for each person to have at least one if you are also having them as part of your dessert table. 
  • Macarons need to be increase since they will be in quite small quantities and they are just delicious. :#