Wedding Etiquette Forum

Needing advice on my father (FOB)

Ok, so my father and I are on again off again in closeness. Whenever he wants to be basically. He's very temperamental and just an angry person. Easily offended. He and his gf have been on again off again and engaged and broken up yada yada. My church only has 6 seats to a row. So I want to seat the gf in the second row so that my parents, step dad, and grandmas can sit in front row. I don't feel that the gf should replace one of my grandma's places. Any advice? 

Re: Needing advice on my father (FOB)

• I hear you on the complicated relationship with your father. But it's still rude what your proposing to do. She's his date, like it or not, and they have to be seated together. That can be First or second row, but they do need to be together. 
  • When assigning seats, all guests should be seated with their SOs - both at the ceremony and at the reception.

If that means seating your father in the second row, then seat him in the second row. It sounds like y'all aren't that close anyway. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Put your dad in the 2nd row with his GF. 
  • Yes I have 3 grandmas.
  • I agree with what you are all saying. I Just feel like I'm stuck in a bad spot. She is most definitely not more important to me than my grandmothers so that is why I won t ask one of them to sit in second row. But I know that if I put her and my father in the second row, he's going to throw a fit because he wants to be in the first row.
  • It's not that I don't like the woman...i just front feel that she should take one of my grandmothers seats.

• I agree with what you are all saying. I Just feel like I'm stuck in a bad spot. She is most definitely not more important to me than my grandmothers so that is why I won t ask one of them to sit in second row. But I know that if I put her and my father in the second row, he's going to throw a fit because he wants to be in the first row.

Then give him the option. Tell him he can sit in the first row and be separated from his SO or he can sit with her in the second row.

Or add a folding chair to the end of the pew and be done with all this drama.
    *********************************************************************************

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Seat your father and his GF in the second row. It's their problem if they don't like that.