Destination Weddings Discussions

After-Wedding Celebration ??

Hi there,

I'm an American marrying a Canadian. Wedding will be in the states but the grooms parents are suggesting to have something small for those here who aren't able to make it to the wedding. Any one done anything like this before? I'm a visual person and having a hard time trying to visual what it would look like. I'm thinking like an engagement party but after the wedding and wouldnt be called engagement lol. Also, what would it be called?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: After-Wedding Celebration ??

• There are a billion posts about this same thing on this site. The short version is: yes, you're welcome to host a party when you return from your wedding. However, it is poor etiquette to include any trappings of a wedding in this party. Don't wear your dress, have a bridal party, have any kind of ceremony-looking thing, first dance, etc. You can have a DJ if you want for dancing. You can certainly show wedding pictures if people would like. Basically, you're hosting a dinner party (or BBQ, or picnic or whatever). It can be as fancy or casual as you want, but make sure you have plenty of food & drink, and a seat for every butt.

@CMGragain can give you wording advice for the invites so that your guests know you've already gotten married and just want to celebrate. 

• Hi there,

I'm an American marrying a Canadian. Wedding will be in the states but the grooms parents are suggesting to have something small for those here who aren't able to make it to the wedding. Any one done anything like this before? I'm a visual person and having a hard time trying to visual what it would look like. I'm thinking like an engagement party but after the wedding and wouldnt be called engagement lol. Also, what would it be called?

Any help would be much appreciated!

It is called a party.  As the newlyweds, you are guests of honor.  It is not a part of your wedding.  You are free to show off wedding and honeymoon photos, but no videos, please.  You dress for this event just like any other party.

There is nothing wrong with doing this.  Your FILS will be the hosts, so they do the planning.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • first of all, you can accept or decline their offer. You're in the driver's seat. 

It would probably just look like any other family gathering. Food for whatever time of day and seating. It's not a wedding so no ceremony, no "first" dances, no big white dress. It's just a family get together where they say congrats. If you need a visual, think grad party. 
    *********************************************************************************

• If it helps with your vision, we had an "at home reception" after our wedding in Hawaii.  My parents hosted, it was a backyard open house - show up between 12-4.  Snacks, cake, pop/wine/beer.  People came and went as they could.  It was mostly people from our guest list who couldn't attend the ceremony who came

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Visually just picture a family party- communion/confirmation, retirement, graduation.  Food appropriate for the time of day, drinks (alcoholic/non-alcoholic whatever's the norm for your FILs), lots of happy people.  I'd definitely bring along some wedding photos.