Wedding Woes

It's like some of these LW's haven't ever been around people in their life.

Dear Prudence,
I have a somewhat silly question that’s weighing heavily on me. I went to a show last weekend for one of my favorite bands. They’re known for outrageous theatrics, so I got there an hour early and claimed a good vantage spot. While the stage was being cleared for the headliner, a couple came through the crowd and tried to pass by me. I thought they had left their seats to get drinks or use the restroom, so I let them through, but then they stopped and stood right in front of me. I’m 5-foot-5 and both of them were easily 6 feet tall. I spent most of the show trying to get a view in between their heads. The girl was also on her phone the whole time (not even recording the band—mostly Snapchatting various mosh-pit antics). I saw more of her phone than the stage. I eventually got fed up and told her I didn’t pay to watch the show through her phone. She didn’t seem to care and kept doing it.

Is it possible she didn’t put her phone away because I was rude to her? Is there a better way to address these issues in the future? Do I go find a new spot and risk inconveniencing someone else, or just grin and accept that this is how it’s going to be sometimes? Should I have waited until someone in the pit bumped me and “spilled” my drink on them? This time, I moved so I was in between them and the mosh pit (they kept falling over when people ran into them) and pushed people back into the pit, but my tiny frame is not built for that and I felt sore the day after. (At least I saw the last half of the show!)

—Down in Front

Re: It's like some of these LW's haven't ever been around people in their life.

• How does this person go to sleep at night? Seriously. 

This is how I picture this person...like 100% of the time:
    Image result for nervous gif
    *********************************************************************************

• I feel the LW's pain.  I am only 5'0" myself.  Unfortunately, at those kind of venues, this kind of thing happens all the time.  I'm not sure I would even call the other couple rude, though I would have been annoyed by them also, because everyone is jostling to get the best vantage point.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm 5'1" ish, my friend is 5'
    I went to a show on Sunday night and we both had same issue. You know what we did? Moved to see. When we knew the band we were there for was coming, we got super close so no one could be in front of us.

• I feel the LW's pain.  I am only 5'0" myself.  Unfortunately, at those kind of venues, this kind of thing happens all the time.  I'm not sure I would even call the other couple rude, though I would have been annoyed by them also, because everyone is jostling to get the best vantage point.

I 'joked' about bringing back 90's platforms .... I think this should be a thing
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2017
    This is the struggle of seeing a standing-room only show. I'm 5'5"-ish and have dudes getting in front of me in these situations.  Every one I've ever been to, I've had to move around to not have a blocked view.  Without an assigned seat, people are free to move about.  So I'm sure the chick who was in front of her thought LW was crazy for trying to claim some kind of force field around her that no one could enter. 
  • lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I like her ideas: spill a drink on them or push so many people she is sore the next day.

• levioosa said:

I'm 5'1". I make no apologies for pushing past people to see if they step in front of me. It comes with show territory. I have to fight to get a decent vantage point in 98% of the general admission/pit shows I go to. I even get to venues early so I can be one of the people in front. LW should have just moved. 

That is at least a little bit of an advantage of being shorter.  We can more easily slither and slide around people...like a petite ninja!

Although more rare, I have even occasionally been pleasantly surprised when someone taller has noticed me behind them and offered for me to move in front of them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker