Attire & Accessories Forum

Re: closed

• I think wearing the same dress to both would be very nice!

dont recreate a second ceremony though. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017
    I am sorry, but you only get one wedding day, and that will be the day of your ceremony.  Your plans for that day sounds very nice.  You must provide some food and drink after your church ceremony for your wedding guests.  This is your wedding reception, and it is to thank your guests for coming to your ceremony.  It is not optional, and it must be held on your wedding day, not some other day.  If nothing else, you can serve cake, coffee and punch in the church fellowship hall.

The party you are planning to celebrate your marriage is not a part of your wedding at all.  There is nothing wrong with you having a party to celebrate, but please, no wedding traditions.  No wedding ceremony!  That was for your wedding day, and this is no longer your wedding day.   Having a re-do ceremony is very inappropriate!  No "first dance", but you can have a special dance for "the newlyweds".  No bouquet toss.  No big cake cutting and feeding each other.   On that day you are no longer the bride and groom, but "the newlyweds".  It is simply a party to celebrate your marriage, not a wedding reception.

If you are wearing a formal wedding gown and veil to your ceremony, then it will look a bit odd on a day that is not your wedding day.  If you have chosen a nice dress or suit, then it should look fine and you can wear it as often as your please.  Remember, these people are not guests at your wedding.  They are guests at a party.  You are no longer a bride, but a married woman.

You will need two separate invitations to these two separate events.  We would be happy to help you with wording over on the invitations board.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If you fall in love with a particular dress, no reason you can't wear it twice!
    I would scratch the ceremony, and any spotlight dances, wedding party if you have them, etc. for the larger, later celebration.  
  • Another vote for "I would have loved to wear my dress twice!"

But again, it's poor etiquette to have the ceremony and reception on different days. A private ceremony (immediate family only) with a larger reception immediately (or after pictures) following is completely fine. I've had a few family members do this and it was lovely and worked very well!

Is there a reason you cannot schedule both events on the same day? Re-creating your ceremony on the second day is not polite to those guests. Let them know it will be a reception only, and that you're getting married in a family-only ceremony earlier in the day.
  • Came for the DD.  OP, stick around, these boards are a great place to learn, vent, whatever you need.  I also find it odd to need a separate celebration on another day, but there's nothing wrong with having a party whenever you like!  Just make sure you host your ceremony guests immediately following the ceremony, whether it's dinner at a restaurant, cake and punch, or pizza--that's your thank-you to them for witnessing your union.  I think it's fine to wear your dress again to the celebration, and to have photos on your phone if people would like to see, but there's really no point in doing a reenactment--and this is coming from someone who ended up doing basically that!