Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Dessert Bar/Cake Cutting

We are planning to do a dessert bar (cheese cakes, waffle sundaes, cookies, etc.). But the caterer and our parents are suggesting we still have a small cake to "cut" for tradition. They also said this will give people a cue that they can leave. So my question is it okay to have this cake if it is not going to be an option in the dessert bar? We wouldn't actually be eating it...just using for photos/cutting. Then wrap it up for our first anniversary. I appreciate your thoughts!

Re: Dessert Bar/Cake Cutting

• Why not just skip the small cake and cut into one of the other desserts instead? It will still make great pictures.
  • We had a truffle bar. We did the link arms thing with truffles. 

We also had a cake we cut and offered that to guests as well, but if we hadn't we would have just shared a truffle.

The cue to leave is the serving of dessert (whatever it is). Traditionally, that's cake, so I get where your folks are coming from...but you can just as easily have the DJ announce the cutting of the _____(cheesecake, sundae, cookie, whatever).
    *********************************************************************************

• Cut the cheesecake!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Cut one of the other desserts. But don't cut anything that won't be served to guests. That would be rude.
  • I went to a wedding recently where they had what looked like a huge decorated cake - but it was actually mostly styrofoam. There was just a small portion that was for cutting. There were other desserts that we ate. 

It was fine. As long as I get some cake I don't really care what kind.

Also, my sister had the small cake when she got married that they cut and then kept for the one year. I'm not sure if you have the same tradition in the US but in Australia, the top layer - the one you keep is fruit cake. That's what they had so not sure I would have wanted to eat it anyway. But they had amazing desserts so I don't think anyone cared about not having cake.

I think if the reception venue is telling you to do it's probably that they've done it before. I wouldn't be shocked by it. If there are a bunch of options at your bar I probably wouldn't notice that the cake wasn't there. If I did I'd be unlikely to care. 
  • Yes ! Absolutely this is a very common practice now ~ most wedding cakes are for the "ceremonial " aspect while variety of  other desserts are in fashion

• Yes ! Absolutely this is a very common practice now ~ most wedding cakes are for the "ceremonial " aspect while variety of  other desserts are in fashion

As long as that variety includes a piece of cake for everyone, just in case everyone wants one.