Vow Renewals

Parents Vow Renewal

My mom lost her wedding ring a few years back. As she has refused to wear the new one without it being blessed, my dad wants to surprise her with a small ceremony on our extended family vacation June 11-17 on Lake Anna, VA. While this is extremely short notice, can anyone recommend a JP, minister, etc. to perform such a service? My parents are not particularly religious and are open to being married by pretty much anyone! My just really wants the grandkids to see them renew their vows.

Thanks!

Re: Parents Vow Renewal

• If its just a vow renewal they are not actually going to be married by anyone. This is an international board, try posting on a virginia board

• Ellen1143 said:

My mom lost her wedding ring a few years back. As she has refused to wear the new one without it being blessed, my dad wants to surprise her with a small ceremony on our extended family vacation June 11-17 on Lake Anna, VA. While this is extremely short notice, can anyone recommend a JP, minister, etc. to perform such a service? My parents are not particularly religious and are open to being married by pretty much anyone! My just really wants the grandkids to see them renew their vows.

Thanks!

Yep, this person does not have to be able to celebrate a legal marriage, because there won't be one here. However, you say both that your mom won't wear a new ring without it being "blessed," but also that they're not particularly religious. I don't get that.

I think it would be easy to call around to churches in the area if you really want the ring blessed as part of the vow renewal, and the minister might be willing to hold a ceremony, but there's nothing legal happening here. Does your mom just want something special to mark the new ring? Or does she really want it blessed? Find a minister if it's the latter, otherwise literally anyone can "officiate" the vow renewal. Or they can just say vows to each other and exchange rings.
  • Anyone can bless them since vow renewals aren't legally recognized. If you're looking for clergy in the area, I would google churches in whatever denomination and pick up the phone. If your mom is concerned about an official blessing, I don't think you can just pick an ordained person out of the yellow pages, you know?
    *********************************************************************************

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017

Ellen1143 said:

Thanks!

I am confused.  Your Mom is not religious, but she doesn't want to wear a ring that hasn't been blessed?  What?

This sounds like a good time for a Vow Renewal, but it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  Suggest to your folks that they have a nice vow renewal.  Since you are an adult, you could even host it for them.  It could be a very special event for both your parents.  You do not need anyone to officiate.

Here is a good site for Vow Renewal planning:  https://www.idotaketwo.com/blog/vow-renewal-etiquette-2/  You can also use this site if you want to do this next week on your family vacation.  Vow Renewals are easy to plan!

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg