Destination Weddings Discussions

How to transport dress?

I thought I would just carry my dress on the plane in a garment bag and put it carefully in overhead bin. My fmil looked at me funny when I said that. Is that not a good idea? Idk how else to get it there

Re: How to transport dress?

• Yeah that's probably the best way unless you are wearing a large ball gown or something. Mention that it's a wedding dress to the gate agent and the first flight attendant you see on the plane. In my experience they do try to help. And consider paying the extra fee to board early and make sure there is enough overhead space. 
  • My flights did not have a first class cabin, though some brides manage to get them hung up there.  I boarded early (those needing extra time) and lay it across/on top of our bags in the overhead.  DH also helped others who boarded after to bet their bags under the garment bag, so it just lay out on top of all the bags.  I also had mine steamed when I arrived, so I was less worried about it getting wrinkled.  

FYI, get a luggage cart.  A heavy dress on a small hanger gets heavy when you're carrying it over your head to avoid having it drag on the ground

• You may want to call your airline ahead of time as I know that some airlines have started to crack down on cabin luggage. You *should be okay provided it is part of the two pieces of carryon you are allowed with most airlines. Consider paying for first/business class as that would increase your chances of it being okay to put in the closet with jackets and such.
  • I agree with @ernursej.  When you board the plane, explain to the stewards what you are carrying.  They may have a place you can store the gown safely.  It depends on the airline.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• My flights did not have a first class cabin, though some brides manage to get them hung up there.  I boarded early (those needing extra time) and lay it across/on top of our bags in the overhead.  DH also helped others who boarded after to bet their bags under the garment bag, so it just lay out on top of all the bags.  I also had mine steamed when I arrived, so I was less worried about it getting wrinkled.  

FYI, get a luggage cart.  A heavy dress on a small hanger gets heavy when you're carrying it over your head to avoid having it drag on the ground

It depends on the airline, too.  When DD was a baby, we always boarded early as part of "those needing extra time" so we could get to our seats and get her settled, install her car seat, etc.  By the time DS was born, American had bought US Airways and drastically curtailed who could board early, and we were no longer eligible. 

Great suggestion an the luggage cart!

• Heffalump said:

My flights did not have a first class cabin, though some brides manage to get them hung up there.  I boarded early (those needing extra time) and lay it across/on top of our bags in the overhead.  DH also helped others who boarded after to bet their bags under the garment bag, so it just lay out on top of all the bags.  I also had mine steamed when I arrived, so I was less worried about it getting wrinkled.  

It depends on the airline, too.  When DD was a baby, we always boarded early as part of "those needing extra time" so we could get to our seats and get her settled, install her car seat, etc.  By the time DS was born, American had bought US Airways and drastically curtailed who could board early, and we were no longer eligible. 

Great suggestion an the luggage cart!

Yes, depending on the airline, boarding early is now usually limited to those in wheelchairs or with children in strollers/car seats.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would take it as a piece of your carry on luggage. The airline *might* be able to hang it somewhere for you, if not, as PPs have said, lay it out across other people's bags, or fold nicely.

Store luggage can get lost, and I mailed my wedding dress (in country) and it arrived late. Keep it with you!
  • So, I've seen this go different ways. When I got married, I flew first class on the domestic leg of my flight. The cabin crew was rude and yelled at me for hanging my dress on the coat hanger behind my seat. My dress was not poofy or large as you can see in the picture. A winter jacket would have been heavier. However, once we flew international, Air New Zealand and Qantas gladly hung my dress for me. Even when we flew coach. 

I just flew back from Amsterdam yesterday on American. There was a couple flying coach that had a huge garment bag for her dress. The cabin crew went out of their way to accommodate them and hung the bag up front. 

Take it as a carry on and approach the gate agent prior to the boarding. Ask them for assistance and see what can be done. If they make you wait to talk to the cabin crew, ask as soon as you board before they start hanging items from first/biz class passengers if you can. If you have to keep it with you, try your best to lay it on top of the other items in the bin, stretched out and flat as possible.

• Many airlines would not allow the bag to be stored in the overhead.  Rules have changed recently.  I think your best bet is to talk to the stewards and the check-in staff.  If they know it is your wedding dress, they will help.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I know this post is a week old, but wanted to throw out my suggestion.  I got married OOT from where I lived.  I had a big, poufy full length gown.  I used one of those Space Saver bags where you vacuum out the air.  It turned my dress to about the size of a 4" binder.  Maybe about 1/3 bigger (length and width) of a piece of paper.  I could easily fit it in my carry on.  I even could have fit it in my large, totebag purse if push had come to shove.

It desperately needed to be pressed anyway.  But I had that set-up and ready to go with a dry cleaner ahead of time, at my destination.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just wanted to say thanks for all the great advice/ideas. I am brand new to this site, and I was recently wondering this exact same thing. I think I am really going to like this forums!
  • @short+sassy thank you! That is a fabulous idea! My dress is very puffy and I'm sure I'll need to get it steamed regardless of how I transport it. I am just in love with my dress! The top layer is pulled up in this pic to try to show the sparkles. I'm having them remove it for alterations
  • Could you have it shipped somewhere to the destination you're going?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @OwningAHome1981 yes but I'd probably be a nervous wreck lol. What if it was somehow ruined or lost.