Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Help with Wedding invation wording

Based on a lot of suggestions on here this is what I have come up with for our wedding invention wording. The one thing I'm not so sure about is the wording for how to include the wedding website. The invites are going to be seal and send so no additional pieces of paper will be include.

Together with their parents

Brides full name

And

Grooms full name

Request the pleasure of your company

As they are united in marriage

Saturday, the twenty third of September

Two thousand and seventeen

At half after four o’clock

address

town,state

Reception to follow

More information can be found at website address

Re: Help with Wedding invation wording

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017

Together with their parents

Brides full name

and

Grooms full name

request the pleasure of your company

as they are united in marriage

Saturday, the twenty-third of September

two thousand seventeen

at half after four o’clock

Location Name

123 Main Street

Anytown, Iowa

Reception to follow

Only proper nouns like names , months, etc. should be capitalized.  No "and" in the year.  Other than this, your wording is fine.
    I am not really familiar with seal and send invitation format.  I would just put the website without any special notification.  The other ladies may have suggestions.  Normally, this would not be included on the actual invitation.

"For more information, please visit http//:www.ourweddingwebsite.com", perhaps closer to the R.s.v.p. part of the invitation?

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

Typically I have seen the website information included on the STDs or as an insert.  But in your case, I think that way you have it is fine.  Ditto CMG on the specifics above.

• Options

Thanks for the heads up about capitalizing words. I was planning on putting the website right above the RSVP post card that would be torn off and mailed back. I thought about putting on the RSVP card but if people mail it back then they wouldn't have the wedding website anymore.

• Options
    Knot1 said:

Thanks for the heads up about capitalizing words. I was planning on putting the website right above the RSVP post card that would be torn off and mailed back. I thought about putting on the RSVP card but if people mail it back then they wouldn't have the wedding website anymore.

That would be fine!
  • Options
    I am having the same problem-my FH and I are paying for the wedding and want to have unique wording (His family are Star Trek fans and some of my friends are music lovers) so we wanted to be unique.  How can we do this without being too 'campy' and have our guests smiling.
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member

Pam said:

I am having the same problem-my FH and I are paying for the wedding and want to have unique wording (His family are Star Trek fans and some of my friends are music lovers) so we wanted to be unique.  How can we do this without being too 'campy' and have our guests smiling.

As I said on your post regarding attire, your invitation is a reflection of the formality of your event.  If you include references to Star Trek on your wedding invitation, I would hardly gather that your wedding is casual.

If you expect your guests to wear cocktail and semi-formal attire (you said some parents are wearing gowns), then leave the Star Trek homages to subtle additions at your reception.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Pam said:

"Unique" means one of a kind, something that no one has ever done before.  If you want to have a Star Trek themed wedding, you are simply going along with an idea that has been done since the original series aired.  It will not be "unique".

A wedding invitation must tell the guest "who, what, when and where".  Traditional wording does this in as few words as possible.  Most attempts at "unique" wording are a fail.

If you really MUST have a Star Trek themed wedding, you can look for invitations designed with the theme from an Etsy seller.  This one gets the idea across without being too in-your-face.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/248199512/star-trek-wedding-invitation-printable?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_e-weddings-invitations_and_paper-invitations&utm_custom1=5cc5e376-cb16-4071-8990-748da7c3f2f4&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyN7JBRCZn7LKgb3ki8kBEiQAaLEsqgYbKdlp0icWd7QauCdQqO9GtEGu5QMsCeaIdvHZpp4aAp0-8P8HAQ

I think this one is way too kitchy, and the wording violates some basic etiquette rules, but, oh, well:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/500616257/printable-personalized-star-trek?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_e-weddings-invitations_and_paper-invitations&utm_custom1=5cc5e376-cb16-4071-8990-748da7c3f2f4&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyN7JBRCZn7LKgb3ki8kBEiQAaLEsqrvFBqeeTbDJljKkR_HC0ti-oRobwixFov64t2Ev6ZEaAo2Y8P8HAQ

Do remember that some people regard a wedding as an important and sacred event.  Having a Star Trek Wedding may offend some people.

My daughter compromised and had a sci-fi themed Save the Date, followed by a traditional invitation.

Simple, traditional wording for your invitation:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Saturday, the tenth of June
    two thousand seventeen
    Venue Name
    123 Maple Street
    Anytown, Iowa

Reception to follow

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

Pam said:

Unfortunately, you ask the impossible.

Wording that tries to be "unique" by invoking "themes" usually does come off as "campy." If it doesn't do that, it leaves guests scratching their heads about what they've been sent by the couple -- in your case, a wedding invitation or a Star Trek convention notice? 

Wedding invitation wording is meant to convey the following:
    1) Whether this is an actual invitation to the wedding as opposed to a post-wedding celebration, a Catholic convalidation, some other wedding-related invitational event, or an announcement of a wedding that has already taken place, 
    2) Are the guests invited to witness the entire event or only the reception/celebration? (Anyone invited to the ceremony must be hosted immediately after at the reception.)
    3) Who, when, where.

When you change the words in an attempt to be "fun," "unique" or whatever, this information can get lost and leave the recipients scratching their heads and/or side-eying you.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Something like this looks modern, reasonably formal, without breaking the bank.  (Hate that first unnecessary line, though!)

https://www.invitationsbydawn.com/shop/timeless-invitation/

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg