Wedding Party

Bridesmaids Dresses Color Issues

Hello,

So I searched HIGH AND LOW for my bridesmaids dresses, and I only had TWO specifications: I wanted satin, and I wanted them in a VERY specific color.  After MONTHS of searching, I found the perfect dress by DaVinci in the PERFECT color (well, according to their swatches, and a sample dress- note, the sample dress I saw was NOT the dress I ordered, but it was Satin, and it was in the color I wanted).  Fast forward to this week: I go get the dresses, and they are CANDY APPLE RED!  NOT Burgundy.  Sure, the tags SAY burgundy, but they are NOT.  I have no idea what to do, the Bridal shop is claiming that they don't see the issue (because the tags are right), but I do NOT want my bridesmaids in RED for my wedding.  I wanted them in Burgundy.  The first picture is the sample dress, and the second is of the dresses I got.

Re: Bridesmaids Dresses Color Issues

• Hello,

So I searched HIGH AND LOW for my bridesmaids dresses, and I only had TWO specifications: I wanted satin, and I wanted them in a VERY specific color.  After MONTHS of searching, I found the perfect dress by DaVinci in the PERFECT color (well, according to their swatches, and a sample dress- note, the sample dress I saw was NOT the dress I ordered, but it was Satin, and it was in the color I wanted).  Fast forward to this week: I go get the dresses, and they are CANDY APPLE RED!  NOT Burgundy.  Sure, the tags SAY burgundy, but they are NOT.  I have no idea what to do, the Bridal shop is claiming that they don't see the issue (because the tags are right), but I do NOT want my bridesmaids in RED for my wedding.  I wanted them in Burgundy.  The first picture is the sample dress, and the second is of the dresses I got.

That sucks. But unfortunately the colors are not so different and if the tags are correct you might not have much room to argue with the company. Depending on the light I can see how they are similar.  Is there a return policy? How far out is your wedding? If you're really unhappy and they won't refund you, you could try and sell them online and pick new ones. 
  • My wedding is October 6.  I know that there can be dye-lot variations, but this seems REALLY extreme....... I am meeting with the manager of the Bridal Shop tomorrow, but she has already stated if the tags indicate the right color, there is nothing they can do.
  • Can we see a picture of them sitting next to eachother? I can totally see how they're different from the above pictures, but one's outside and the other is indoors. It might help to see them side-to-side
  • No... I can take a photo of the swatch on the actual dress when I get home.

• I would take the swatch in with you along with the dress and receipts for ordering both to show the manager. 

That said, I do think the dress is burgundy. Perhaps it's not the exact shade of burgundy you were expecting, but I don't know anyone who would describe that dress as candy apple red. 

Agreed, I would not call that candy apple red. 
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I don't really see that much of a difference either.  Interestingly enough, the second dress is between a red car and a red shirt. . . . which makes it seem more burgundy to me.

Also, with the picture in the shop, are those dresses hanging in front of a mirror, because what looks like a reflection in a mirror behind the burgundy dress seems much lighter and more red, as does the little string hangie thing.

I think that you may have really gotten burgundy here!

• The trouble is, I actually hate the color red. 
  • I would take the swatch in, but be prepared for them not to do much. Like PPs have said, they're burgundy just not the shade of burgundy you were expecting. Additionally if the manufacturer changed he shade there probably isn't much the store can do. 

That said, your wedding is October. If you really hate them try and sell them online (you likely won't get anything close to your purchase price) and find something new. Burgundy is a tough color to match if you hate red. Do you have accent colors that your ladies could wear that would be easier to find?

• The trouble is, I actually hate the color red. 

Then, out of curiosity, why did you pick burgundy?
  • It's my favorite color. I know, crazy. To me it is the difference between navy blue and royal. I like DARK colors, hate brights. 

The upshot is, went to the shop with the dresses and the swatches, there is nothing that can be done. Next to a RED dress it is NOT red. I'll just have to double up on my OCD meds, get over it, and have a friend photoshop the hell out of my photos. 
  • The store won't let you exchange them for a different color or style? You could change your accent burgundy color or just change the color of the dresses..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • FWIW, I think both colors are lovely
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I would take the swatch in with you along with the dress and receipts for ordering both to show the manager. 

That said, I do think the dress is burgundy. Perhaps it's not the exact shade of burgundy you were expecting, but I don't know anyone who would describe that dress as candy apple red. 

That's a burgundy dress, it's not candy apple red.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2017

Uh... personally I'd be fighting the shop on this more. The dress does not match the swatch. 
    We can all say the color is close enough, but if the customer really hates it and it legit doesn't match the swatch she was expecting, then she's been misled. October is still several months away, I think this can and should be fixed. 

I agree, which is why I said she should take the swatches and the receipt, which I would think would show the color of the swatches ordered, with her to the shop.

But the fact is, the dress is burgundy. It's not candy apple red. And, if all else fails, her wedding will still look lovely with those dresses and no one is going to attend her wedding and think, "why is everything else burgundy, but her BMs are wearing candy apple red dresses?" 
  • One dress is red, one is brownish. They are clearly different. Maybe the designer labeled the sample wrong but in this case, it isn't your fault. Did you go on the designer's website and try to see that they call the color you wanted?
  • I went on the designer's website. Is it style 60201? It looks like the sample is "chocolate"

• I went on the designer's website. Is it style 60201? It looks like the sample is "chocolate"

Are we looking at the same website/sample? When I looked "chocolate" is clearly brown. 

• justsie said:

I went on the designer's website. Is it style 60201? It looks like the sample is "chocolate"

Are we looking at the same website/sample? When I looked "chocolate" is clearly brown. 

I think she's thinking the comparison is between the two dresses in the first picture (the burgundy and the brown which were both samples at the shop). That confused me too at first, especially since when she puts the swatch up to the dress, there's also that same brown there on top of it.

@Lippenrieder, the comparison is between the dress on the left in the first picture and the dress held up by the car in the second picture.