Wedding Reception Forum

Suggestions for "bonus" lofted space at reception?

We just booked our venue for our ~80 person wedding next April (YAY!!!), and it has a lofted space that overlooks the rest of the reception area. We already have room for all the necessities (food, bar, dance floor, etc.) and are trying to come up with some creative ideas for this space. The only thing I've thought about is a DIY photo booth. I'd love to hear some other suggestions! The space is approximately 17' x 31'.

Below are some photos from the lofted space looking down on the rest of the venue and one from the floor looking up at the lofted space.

Re: Suggestions for "bonus" lofted space at reception?

• Oh! I just saw this space on Four Weddings!!!

they used it a lot- cocktail hour, cake cutting, and it was terrible. Really crowded and hard to get up and down. 

Love the photo booth idea, depending on budget maybe turn it into a lounge space with couches? 
  • I would try to get some couches or other lounge furniture, and set up an extra seating area. I know a lot of people like to find a chill space to hang out when the party gets going. 

• So cool. My sisters venue had a lofted space and they had comfy chairs, couches and tables with tea light candles. It was really lovely. 
  • I saw that 4 weddings too, hehe. I think the photo booth and the lounge area are the best ideas. A kids area might be okay if the kids are old enough to manage the stairs. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think something like the photo booth would go well there, or a comfy lounge area with couches/chairs.
  • I had a friend with a space like this. They had their cocktail hour up there and had corn hole set up for guests to play. The photobooth was also up in that space.
  • Your photo booth idea is a really good one. I would add some furniture/chairs for people to hang out. It looks like a nice space for guests to step away from the festivities for a moment if they want to. 
    *********************************************************************************

• ei34ei34 member
    Another vote for a lounge area.  Beautiful venue!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited June 2017
    Keep in mind that older people may not be able to climb those stairs.  (I couldn't!)  Don't put anything there that they might have to miss because of the stairs.  I would think this space was designed for a live band.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• CMGragain said:

Keep in mind that older people may not be able to climb those stairs.  (I couldn't!)  Don't put anything there that they might have to miss because of the stairs.  I would think this space was designed for a live band.

I would put something there that is targeted to younger people.

• CMGragain said:

Totally agree to be careful about what you put up there, because people may not be able to climb the stairs (or may have trouble in heels and a dress after a few cocktails).

I'd also hesitate to make it a lounge space, because it's so separated and hard to get up and down that it would inhibit mingling. I'd be worried 5-10 guests would just end up camping out up there the whole event. I prefer a venue to encourage mingling not prevent it.

What about putting the band or DJ up there? And obviously your photographer can take some pics from up there. I also think a photobooth is a fine idea, because people would go use it for a minute, then go back to the party. 

• We just booked our venue for our ~80 person wedding next April (YAY!!!), and it has a lofted space that overlooks the rest of the reception area. We already have room for all the necessities (food, bar, dance floor, etc.) and are trying to come up with some creative ideas for this space. The only thing I've thought about is a DIY photo booth. I'd love to hear some other suggestions! The space is approximately 17' x 31'.

Below are some photos from the lofted space looking down on the rest of the venue and one from the floor looking up at the lofted space.

With an 80 person event in that huge space, honestly, I wouldn't use the loft at all.  Maybe put a couple high-top tables up there, no chairs, so people can go up there and look down, take pictures out the back window, set down their drink while they're doing it, whatever.  But with all that space downstairs, I wouldn't segregate the party like that.