Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

How many Cupcakes?

I'm stumped on how many cupcakes to get for the wedding.
I am estimating 200 guests and I will have 3 flavors of cupcakes. How many of each flavor do I get? I know some people might have one cupcake while others might have 3.

Re: How many Cupcakes?

• Options
    How big are the cupcakes?
  • Options
    They are just regular size
  • Options
    For regular size cupcakes...  My guess is also that your baker is going to require you to purchase by the dozen... So... 9 Dozen (108 cupcakes) of each flavor as a minimum for a wedding of 200 and regular size cupcakes.  
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If you're having one standard flavor (like vanilla or chocolate) I'd have 200 of that flavor to ensure all guests including the non-adventurous eaters have something to eat.  If you're doing some more fun varieties (lemon meringue, pumpkin spice, etc.) maybe 50-75 of each?  If they were mini cupcakes I'd say have 200 of each variety, but I just don't think you need 600 regular size cupcakes (and I'm a big eater with an even bigger sweet tooth).
  • Options
    All the cupcakes. 

Just kidding. Sort of. I like @eileenrob suggestion of 200 traditional flavors and 100 of exciting flavor. I'm thinking you need 300-400. 
  • Options
    I was told to order 1.5 per guest so 300 minimum.
  • Options
    We had only cupcakes too, and ordered 1.5 per person. For around 130 guests, we had almost 200 cupcakes. We had SO MANY left over (they freeze okay-ish), but I'm not sure if that was because we didn't do any kind of "cake cutting" so people didn't know when to take dessert, or if they didn't see them (but they were right next to the food buffet soo), or what the situation was. 

I still would rather have too many than not enough. We split our flavors evenly, but didn't have anything too crazy. If you do have something like vanilla and then two different flavors, maybe more of the more plain one?
  • Options
    What are your flavors?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Thank you for all of your responses!
  • Options
    The flavors I'm having are vanilla, chocolate, and red velvet
  • Options

The flavors I'm having are vanilla, chocolate, and red velvet

I would probably split them evenly with that selection.
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'd go with 350-400.  Maybe 100 red velvet, 150 vanilla and 100-150 chocolate.  The people I know that don't like chocolate also don't eat red velvet (since it's a chocolate-based cupcake), so I'd def do plenty of vanilla.  I personally love all three flavors. 
  • Options
    Red velvet is often just "chocolate light" with red food coloring.

That said, I would do 150 vanilla, 100 red velvet and 100 chocolate. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Red velvet is often just "chocolate light" with red food coloring.

That said, I would do 150 vanilla, 100 red velvet and 100 chocolate. 

I knew it!! I hate chocolate cakes and never liked red velvet but I couldn't put my finger on why!
  • Options
    @ahoywedding - yep! I'm not a fan of red velvet, personally. To me, it's just watered down chocolate cake with a bunch of dye.

Look up a recipe for red velvet. It's VERY similar to chocolate cake, except it has less cocoa and actually quite a bit red food coloring. Some people use beetroot to color the batter, but you don't get as vibrant a red.

Here's the best chocolate cake recipe I know of: https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en_us/recipes/hersheys-perfectly-chocolate-chocolate-cake.html
    And here's a red velvet recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016329-red-velvet-cake

• Options
    Red velvet often has cream cheese in it as well as the cocoa.
  • Options

Jen4948 said:

Red velvet often has cream cheese in it as well as the cocoa.

I've never seen this. It most often has cream cheese FROSTING, but not cream cheese in the cake itself. I suppose you could... but it's not in a typical red velvet recipe. 

• Options
    I am also wondering about this. I'd assume everyone would at least want one cupcake, maybe more? Better safe than sorry, I suppose?