DIY Wedding Forum

Cleaning linens

hello! I inherited white polyester table linens from my friend who got married last year. I washed them all at some point but my wedding. Is this October 1st and I seriously need help getting them all cleaned and folded and neat! Has anyone had any experience with sending linens out, and through what service can I do this? Will a simple wash and fold place be able to help? Not sure what to do! 

Re: Cleaning linens

• You're probably safe with a wash-and-fold, but I'd check with a dry-cleaner just to be sure.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017
    Polyester should be washed in warm water with detergent on the permanent press cycle.  No chlorine bleach.  It shouldn't need ironing if you take it out of the dryer (low heat) as soon as the cycle ends.
    True antique table linens (actually made of linen) do need professional care, which is one reason that they are seldom used in modern times.  Laundries had a device called a mangle that was designed to press the water out of the cloths and flatten them more efficiently than hand ironing could do.  Thank God for modern fibers!

Here are some tips:

Soak white polyester fabrics overnight. Soak white
    garments overnight in a mixture of 1 gallon (3.8 L) of warm water and
    1/2 cup of automatic dishwasher detergent. This will help remove dirt
    and stains from your white fabrics in advance of washing them.

• If you have less time, you can soak for 1-2 hours.
    • The dishwasher detergent helps to brighten the whiteness of the item.
    • Consider bleach for colors if you have extra-dirty colored polyester fabric.
    • Avoid using bleach when washing white polyester items.[3]

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Good advice - but these sound new right? 
    Check the washing instructions if you plan to do it yourself and then follow them.
    If they are polyester careful of tumble drying them too hot - polyester is basically a kind of plastic so it can melt if tumbled to hot.

I clean an Airbnb flat and the linens for that get sent out and its fine - but that's cotton so... it depends on what you want and need. We use just a simple wash and fold and its great. Depending on if there really dirty you might need to let them know, they might charge for special stain removal. If there still dirty from the wedding? and or have wine stains it could be extra.

Sorry I don't have more help than that.