Wedding Woes

Does she want to get back together with you?

Dear Prudence,
I started dating a girl in January of this year, but we had been friends for a few months before that. In April, she came over to my house and tried to kill herself using some old medications of mine. I called an ambulance, talked to doctors, filled out paperwork, and called her parents. I kept in contact with both her and her family as much as possible over the next few days while also studying for my exams. After she had stabilized, I called her to break up with her. A few weeks later we got back in touch, texting and Facebook messaging each other. I really care about her and miss her. Is there any way I can get back together with her, or has that ship sailed? If I do try to get back with her, what do I say?

—Reconnected

Re: Does she want to get back together with you?

• I'm not sure if LW wants the friend or the girlfriend back. If LW really wants to get back together with her, LW can say, "Hi. I've missed you. Would you like to get together for coffee?"
  • I'm confused, they're already back in contact, no?

If you're in touch electronically reach out for coffee/drinks/lunch and see where it goes. Just like you would anyone else. 
  • I mean...this all happened barely two months ago?  I might cool my heels a bit and let the dust settle before I decide whether to get back together.  I imagine the ex has a lot going on right now, so I'd let her work on that.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I could see her having bigger priorities than who to date right now.

• Heffalump said:

I mean...this all happened barely two months ago?  I might cool my heels a bit and let the dust settle before I decide whether to get back together.  I imagine the ex has a lot going on right now, so I'd let her work on that.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I could see her having bigger priorities than who to date right now.

I should certainly hope she has greater priorities than dating ><

Good luck to her, I hope she gets into a better mental emotional state and can have a happy life.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Heffalump said:

I mean...this all happened barely two months ago?  I might cool my heels a bit and let the dust settle before I decide whether to get back together.  I imagine the ex has a lot going on right now, so I'd let her work on that.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I could see her having bigger priorities than who to date right now.

Oh goodness!  I missed the part about it only being two months.

Yeah, at this point, I think it's great if he can be a supportive friend.  Without putting his romantic life on hold.  But, for his ex's own good, he needs to shelve the "maybe I want you back/complicated relationship" until she is in a better and more solid place with her mental health.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sounds like that woman could really use a friend, but only a friend.