Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower Post Mortem

Here's the good, the weird, and the unexpected from my shower:

First the good - I was very grateful that I got some stuff from my registry! elated, ecstatic! I hadn't seen any registry items purchased at all prior to the shower so I was a bit concerned because I hate surprises (my friend was joking I was going to get 30 pairs of lingerie), but I got registry gifts all the same. I think people purchased them the day-of. I also was feeling awkward about opening gifts in front of people, but I was fine! I got some off registry gifts and I liked almost all of them. So that was also very nice. 

Next the unexpected/weird:

Out of 30 people, 5 did not give gifts or cards or anything. 
2 people RSVPed yes but did not show.
1 person handed me $20 as their gift and told me not to spend it all in one place.
I received a check made out to my future husband. 
2 people "went in on" 2 off-registry wedding-themed dish towels (I think this was the weirdest gift - that 2 people would give 2 dish towels as a group gift). I strongly got the vibe that this must have been a regift since one of them recently got married, though she and the other person are both the sort of people that would want to get something off a registry and one had been coaching me about how important the registry is, so it's got me scratching my head a bit, but I'm not going to think about it too much, it just stood out as odd. 

All in all, weirdness aside I think everything worked out! I've been busy at work writing my thank yous :)

Re: Bridal Shower Post Mortem

• I'm glad you enjoyed it! I had people at my baby shower not bring gifts. Only 5 people who came to my wedding gave a gift and I only had 8 people at my bridal shower.
    I also had people RSVP to my shower and then not attend - people are flaky.
    I guess you're going to the dollar store, then? 
    That just seems really rude to me.
    That is so strange. Possibly they forgot about the shower and had to grab something on the way out the door?
  • The check made out to just your husband has me LOLing. Wut? Who was it from??
    *********************************************************************************

I got a few (from his side of the family) to Mrs. HisFirstName HisLastName. Thanks, but who is supposed to endorse this?

I wouldn't be surprised if people at a shower made out checks to whichever member of the couple they know better, especially if it's one of those showers that's a couples shower or includes both sides of the family. Easier to endorse if it's made out to one person after all though!

It was from one of his cousins who I am kind of close with. She is a little scatterbrained sometimes. I didn't take it as an insult. I think she was just confused when she wrote the check. 

It was from one of his cousins who I am kind of close with. She is a little scatterbrained sometimes. I didn't take it as an insult. I think she was just confused when she wrote the check. 

LOL, I wonder if she didn't know how to spell your name or something and did it in a hurry. 
    *********************************************************************************

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017
    About the dish towels, you may be surprised at how often you use them.  I have dishtowels that were my grandmother's.  You know - the old fashioned kind with embroidery days of the week?  Use them often!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• CMGragain said:

About the dish towels, you may be surprised at how often you use them.  I have dishtowels that were my grandmother's.  You know - the old fashioned kind with embroidery days of the week?  Use them often!

I think it was the fact that two people went in on two dish towels and one of them had been so adamant about registering. I got dish towels, too, but it would be weird to get 2 as a combo gift.

Yup, sounds like person 2 forgot to get a gift, and asked person 1 to put their name on the card. 

I got a few (from his side of the family) to Mrs. HisFirstName HisLastName. Thanks, but who is supposed to endorse this?

We got a few like this, and were able to deposit them before I changed my name. We deposited some of them before we even had a joint account, and Wells Fargo accepted all of them. I'm not sure if it would have been more trouble had we wanted to withdraw any of the money, but I even deposited them on the mobile app. Once we did open a joint account, our banker made a note that I would be changing my name eventually, so that transactions with either last name would clear.
  • After our engagement party we ended up with 3 different sets of Mr. and Mrs. Champagne flutes.  :D

• Apollymi said:

After our engagement party we ended up with 3 different sets of Mr. and Mrs. Champagne flutes.  :D

I think that just means you'll have to drink more champagne. ;)

We got a few like this, and were able to deposit them before I changed my name. We deposited some of them before we even had a joint account, and Wells Fargo accepted all of them. I'm not sure if it would have been more trouble had we wanted to withdraw any of the money, but I even deposited them on the mobile app. Once we did open a joint account, our banker made a note that I would be changing my name eventually, so that transactions with either last name would clear.

Ditto. My bank had me endorse them twice with both last names. I also brought a copy of my marriage certificate.