Wedding Etiquette Forum

Why do people keep inviting themselves?

2»

Re: Why do people keep inviting themselves?

• If you look at the boards, they come for advice AND to vent. Unless you are an administrator of the site; you don't get to state the purpose of the boards as if it is gospel or berate people for using it in a different way than you do!

• zyanya67 said:

@climbingwife ...This is supposed to be a safe place where we can rant about issues that annoy us; not be subjected to people who are going to call us names because they disagree with our opinions!! Its one thing to give constructive criticism, you aren't being constructive, you are trying to bully based on your own false assumptions! There is NO REASON to name call here, make accusations or assumptions about people you don't know!!

This in open etiquette forum. You posted something that, yes, came off as rude and immature, and people commented on it. If I saw that exchange at work, especially as a supervisor, it would really impact any future responsibilities or promotions you had coming your way. Interacting with people is an important part of pretty much any job, and you're always going to encounter annoying people with dumb questions. Handling them with tact is just basic adulting skills. 

Oh, and nothing here even came close to "bullying." Please. 

• Good thing you aren't my supervisor! I showed him your post and we both had a good laugh. The way people act in an office setting is usually different than the way they are in their private life and to try and connect the two over a matter such as this is mind-boggling!!

If you look at the original post on this thread, there is no question posed, the person is just venting! To comment on someone else's post that a response may be considered rude is appropriate. To say they must not have any grace at all is something else entirely. One is commenting on the post, the other is making negative assumptions and comments about someone's character.

• zyanya67zyanya67 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017
    I don't expect everyone to agree with me but to be told "it is pretty obvious you don't know how to handle yourself graciously in social situations", based on a post isn't advice but your right, it is an opinion... the opinion of a small-minded judgemental person who knows absolutely nothing about me...but now that I have had the rules explained to me by a moderator, I will adhere to them.  Since people are allowed to comment on other people's character, and not their opinions on a subject, I will follow suite.

• zyanya67 said:

I don't expect everyone to agree with me but to be told "it is pretty obvious you don't know how to handle yourself graciously in social situations", based on a post isn't advice but your right, it is an opinion... the opinion of a small-minded judgemental person who knows absolutely nothing about me...but now that I have had the rules explained to me by a moderator, I will adhere to them. 

Now you're violating TOS by name-calling. No one called you any names, let alone bullied you as you claim.

I've been bullied, as a child and as an adult. Someone on a forum telling you that you should be more tactful is not even close to bullying. 

No, I'm not a moderator, but I did just report you. I'm also going to put you on ignore because, frankly, I'm too old to deal with drama.
  • zyanya67zyanya67 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017

If you want to be one of those people who thinks the most adult response to people making mistakes is "girl, bye," then that's fine, but don't be surprised when you're not a well-liked person.

Everyone tried to offer more tactful suggestions for dealing with this situation, but you may prefer to be the kind of person who "always tells it like it is." Sometimes that's a good thing, and sometimes it just means you're unnecessarily rude and overreacting to things.

In regards to people making mistakes, I think it completely depends on the situation and the person; some require patience, grace and tact while others its "Bye, Felicia".

I appreciate the suggestions, I just choose to handle this topic a different way. I'm usually more gracious and tactful, but with my wedding I am being firm with some things; dealing with people who, in my opinion, are being rude by trying to invite themselves, is an area where I don't feel I need to be considerate. I don't have to be liked by everybody, I would rather be loved by a few, and the guests I will have at my wedding will love me for not letting rude, boorish people at my event. 

• geebee908 said:

zyanya67 said:

I don't expect everyone to agree with me but to be told "it is pretty obvious you don't know how to handle yourself graciously in social situations", based on a post isn't advice but your right, it is an opinion... the opinion of a small-minded judgemental person who knows absolutely nothing about me...but now that I have had the rules explained to me by a moderator, I will adhere to them.  Since people are allowed to comment on other people's character, and not their opinions on a subject, I will follow suite.

The first bolded would be considered name-calling in my opinion. I'd try to keep that in mind if you're serious about the second bolded.

ETA: Do we have a pot and kettle gif or something like that?

I guess its all in the phrasing then since you don't seem to have a problem with the poster telling me "it is pretty obvious you don't know how to handle yourself graciously in social situations". I will keep that in mind and adhere to the rules. Next time I will use different wording when trying to demean someone.

• geebee908 said:

zyanya67 said:

The first bolded would be considered name-calling in my opinion. I'd try to keep that in mind if you're serious about the second bolded.

ETA: Do we have a pot and kettle gif or something like that?

Here you go, @geebee908:

• penguinpoppenguinpop member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017

• LD1970 said:

1.  The Internet is NOT a "safe space."

2.  As someone who was a victim as a tween and teen of REAL, severe bullying, your minimization of the word and act in this conversation is utterly disgusting and offensive.  Go educate yourself.

Safe spaces don't exist and I certainly wouldn't consider the internet one if they did. Being able to anonymously attack people's character without fear of reprisal is not safe. However there seem to be rules to this forum and if I have to follow them, as I should, then so should others.

You have NO IDEA who I am, what I've been through, or what level of bullying I have endured!! I'm not minimizing bullying, I was voicing my opinion on what I thought the behavior was. While your experience with it growing up may have been quite different, that does not negate the way I feel just because you believe it doesn't fit your parameters.

• zyanya67 said:

LD1970 said:

2.  As someone who was a victim as a tween and teen of REAL, severe bullying, your minimization of the word and act in this conversation is utterly disgusting and offensive.  Go educate yourself.

Safe spaces don't exist and I certainly wouldn't consider the internet one if they did. Being able to anonymously attack people's character without fear of reprisal is not safe. However there seem to be rules to this forum and if I have to follow them, as I should, then so should others.

You have NO IDEA who I am, what I've been through, or what level of bullying I have endured!! I'm not minimizing bullying, I was voicing my opinion on what I thought the behavior was. While your experience with it growing up may have been quite different, that does not negate the way I feel just because you believe it doesn't fit your parameters.

You literally called this forum a safe space. Not us. You said: "This is supposed to be a safe space."

Everyone here has followed the TOS. No bullying has occurred. 

• levioosa said:

zyanya67 said:

LD1970 said:

You literally called this forum a safe space. Not us. You said: "This is supposed to be a safe space."

Everyone here has followed the TOS. No bullying has occurred. 

I stand corrected, I did call it a safe space. I will elaborate by saying I don't believe people should withhold their opinions about a topic or actions but there are rules against demeaning a person's character; that is what I meant by being safe.  We don't know each other in REAL life, don't know each other's personalities, histories, etc. To make a negative judgement on someone's character based on a point of etiquette is extreme and hurtful.
  • Has anyone called BINGO yet?
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017
    I have to wonder if "supervisor" isn't really code for mommy.......or FI.