Wedding Woes

What should I do for dinner?

I'm having a scheduling / eating conflict and I want to see what you would all would do and see if you have any ideas or advice.

I work a pretty normal 9-5 type job. I don't have a lunch "break" per se, but I usually have plenty of time to eat at a normal pace. I normally leave the office for lunch and get some kind of healthy food (we have a cafeteria, but there's also a few healthy chains nearby that I frequent). I'm not too into packing lunch because I like to get some fresh air and leave my desk for a bit. Anyway, I signed up to take a class on Monday evenings and it goes from 5:30-9:30. I normally eat dinner around 7/7:30 and I'm kind of at a loss - if I wait until the end I'll be starving (and probably unable to concentrate on the second half of the class), and there's no way I'll be hungry at 4:30 before I leave. I don't want to eat in the middle of class because I'm sure it'll be rude and disruptive, and I don't really like snacking. 

So, what would you do for dinner? I'm passively trying to lose weight (as in, trying my best to be healthy and keep track of my calories while exercising, but not tracking it super actively or on any kind of prescribed diet). I'm thinking maybe I could get a smoothie to have on the way to class and then eat dinner when I get home? I really look forward to yummy dinners so idk what to do!

What would you do?

Re: What should I do for dinner?

• OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017

I would be surprised if a 4 hour class has no designated break times.  You may need to pack something depending where your class is, but you should be able to eat during your class' break time. 

I'm not a teacher, but I would rather have one dedicated break time each evening for food or bathroom, than having students filing in and out doing both all class long.

ETA: I didn't answer your question.  I would not be eating dinner at 9 PM.  Especially if you are trying to "lose weight" eating that late at night will not help you at all.  Maybe have a sandwich or a light meal around 4:30 and then a smoothie later in the class - if you can easily store it.

• Good point! I don't know if there's a break or not - this is my first class. I've never taken an "extended learning" type class for adults before so I didn't know if it was standard. It's only 8 weeks, so the classes are pretty long.

Honestly, I won't be eating til 10pm if I don't eat during class - the class ends at 9:30, and I probably won't be home til 10. Not pleasant
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited June 2017

I'm assuming there is a 10-15 minute break in the middle of class?  Although you don't like snacking, per se.  But what if you brought a light, more "meal type" snack?  That could still be eaten over the break.  Like half a sandwich/wrap.  Hardboiled egg or cheese with a piece of fruit.

A smoothie (like you mentioned) or meal replacement type drink would also be an option.  As it could be drunk throughout class.

Admittedly, I'm personally not a big fan of those.  I don't find them filling and they're usually not very healthy because they are sky high in sugar.  Even if it is the fructose from fruit juice.  With that said, I still think a smoothie/replacement drink is better than having nothing.

And here's my "mommy moment", lol.  I think it's important you have SOMETHING about mid-way through your class.  Not eating for 4 hours and then having a big dinner when you get home will probably wreak havoc with your weight loss attempts. 

Edited because I saw your update. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What's your main meal of the day?  If it's traditionally dinner than you may want to make lunch your higher calorie/protein meal and focus on low calorie/high protein foods that could easily be eaten on a break or in class to hold you over. 

• What's your main meal of the day?  If it's traditionally dinner than you may want to make lunch your higher calorie/protein meal and focus on low calorie/high protein foods that could easily be eaten on a break or in class to hold you over. 

I usually eat something super small for breakfast (banana, 1 piece of toast with PB, or a clif bar in dire circumstances), and then split pretty evenly between lunch and dinner. For lunch I usually have a meal-salad or a sandwich and for dinner I cook with my SO and we eat something heartier but I tend to try for smaller portions. 

I know this is lame but I really like hot foods, they tend to be sooooo much more satisfying for me, especially for dinner. I know for a short period of time Monday nights are going to kinda suck, so I just need to figure out the best solution for me. 
  • Side question: What are everyone's favorite packable/cold snacks that don't take a ton of prep or need to be stored in a fridge? 
  • I used to have this situation when I was getting my MBA (worked all day, classes at night).  And then again when Wooz had swim practice from 6:00 - 6:50 every night.  IMO, a healthy, high protein snack is the best option.  (Or protein + healthy carbs, like fruit or whole grains.)  We would mix and match from the following:

Edamame
    Baby carrots
    Light string cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Hummus and pita chips or pretzel crisps
    Any kind of fruit (fresh or dried)
    Nuts (almonds are esp. good for you)
    Hard boiled egg
    Slice of deli turkey wrapped around a light string cheese
    Laughing Cow light cheese on whole grain crackers
    Baby Bel cheese

There are probably other things, but those are the ones that sprang to mind.  You get the idea.
  • SP29SP29 member
    edited June 2017
    I would eat something before class starts, and then bring a snack for your break during class (there MUST be a break, no one can sit/stand or talk for 4 hours).

You can make yourself a wrap, bring soup that you heat up at work, or salad- either leaf based or a pasta salad.

As for snacks, fruit, nuts, veggies, yogurt, cheese and crackers, hummus.

• Side question: What are everyone's favorite packable/cold snacks that don't take a ton of prep or need to be stored in a fridge? 

I like baby bell or string cheese. Celery sticks, Trader Joe's omega trail mix, and protein bars are good too. I also used to pack almond milk in a shaker and have a baggy full of protein powder so I could make a protein shake after the gym. That might work too for something a little more long lasting. 

• levioosa said:

Side question: What are everyone's favorite packable/cold snacks that don't take a ton of prep or need to be stored in a fridge? 

I like baby bell or string cheese. Celery sticks, Trader Joe's omega trail mix, and protein bars are good too. I also used to pack almond milk in a shaker and have a baggy full of protein powder so I could make a protein shake after the gym. That might work too for something a little more long lasting. 

I like the idea of a protein shake - there's a jamba juice right near my office - I know there are a ton of sugar bomb drinks, but I think I can find a healthier / lighter one to enjoy to sustain me. Sometimes I do protein drinks for lunches on the weekends, never usually for dinner but I figure once a week won't kill me :)

• SP29 said:

I would eat something before class starts, and then bring a snack for your break during class (there MUST be a break, no one can sit/stand or talk for 4 hours).

You can make yourself a wrap, bring soup that you heat up at work, or salad- either leaf based or a pasta salad.

As for snacks, fruit, nuts, veggies, yogurt, cheese and crackers, hummus.

I'm sure there is! I just don't know if it's a "eat a few almonds" kind of break or if it'd be appropriate to eat a sandwich or something more meal-like. 

I love yogurt but I tend to find it to be an awkward "travel" food
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    when I did 4-10's, I had night classes did the 'smaller frequent meals'
    So I ate at lunch time, and ate again at 5.  It just took some training to basically eat 1/3 of a meal every 2-3 hours instead.
    So I'd eat breakfast, then at 11, have my (smallish) meal (sandwich and fruit usually--but often included dessert too.  Or leftovers).  At 3 pm, I had my 'mid afternoon snack break'-which was usually a granola bar or cheese stick or hard boiled egg.
    At 5-pm, I had another smallish meal--if I had a sandwich at lunch, I'd do something else here, but, it was the equivalent as far as how much food.
    That held me until 8pm, when I got home and decided if I needed a supper meal too.

• Heffalump said:

I used to have this situation when I was getting my MBA (worked all day, classes at night).  And then again when Wooz had swim practice from 6:00 - 6:50 every night.  IMO, a healthy, high protein snack is the best option.  (Or protein + healthy carbs, like fruit or whole grains.)  We would mix and match from the following:

Edamame
    Baby carrots
    Light string cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Hummus and pita chips or pretzel crisps
    Any kind of fruit (fresh or dried)
    Nuts (almonds are esp. good for you)
    Hard boiled egg
    Slice of deli turkey wrapped around a light string cheese
    Laughing Cow light cheese on whole grain crackers
    Baby Bel cheese

There are probably other things, but those are the ones that sprang to mind.  You get the idea.

If the area is 'nut free' some granola could also work.

Adding to list:
    Avacado
    Grape/Cherry tomatoes {with or without dip}
    Crackers with flakes of chicken mix {dipping/making mini sandwiches}
    Bagel - cut in small portions and has whatever you'd prefer best topping

This can actually be a pretty good weightloss "trick" too.  Whenever I plateau on my weightloss efforts, I "flip my day", aka have dinner quantity calories at breakfast and smaller calorie count for dinner.  Even though your classes are only on Mondays, maybe you can do this day flip for the 8 weeks of your class.  Split calories between breakfast and lunch and have a tiny dinner.

• Every class I've ever taken in the evenings had a break. I think you'll be okay to take some of these suggestions.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We have a lot of activities where we need to leave the house by 515 and don't get home until bedtime. We eat lunch at 11 and dinner at 445. Then a snack when we get home. It's pretty much what all of our friends do too. 

Its 8 wks. A sandwich in the car one night won't kill you. 

Soccer camp is going to suck. We need to leave at 445 and won't get home until 830. I see lots of peanut butter sandwiches that week. 
  • edited June 2017
    What about something like this? It will taste good at room temperature and won't spoil since it doesn't have meat or dairy.

https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/soba-noodle-salad-with-ginger-peanut-dressing

I worked a lot of shifts where I didn't have access to a fridge, freezer or microwave, nor the time for a proper sit-down meal. PB &Js were my BFF.

• 6fsn said:

We have a lot of activities where we need to leave the house by 515 and don't get home until bedtime. We eat lunch at 11 and dinner at 445. Then a snack when we get home. It's pretty much what all of our friends do too. 

Its 8 wks. A sandwich in the car one night won't kill you. 

Soccer camp is going to suck. We need to leave at 445 and won't get home until 830. I see lots of peanut butter sandwiches that week. 

Yeah, I know I'm being a bit of a pain in the ass. 

So, I had my first class - the teacher gave us a 20 minute break at 7pm and there was a little coffee shop with a few sandwiches for purchase. On my way over, i had stopped at a small sandwich chain and picked up a turkey sandwich I ate during the 20 minute break. In the future, I'll pack something. 

Also, my diet efforts were thwarted, because when I got home after having my normal healthy sandwich, SO had my favorite ice cream waiting for me because he "i had a long day and might not have had time to eat dinner" haha. Now I know why I'm not losing any weight!
  • Your SO is so sweet, @KahluaKoala!
  • Why not just make a pb&j sandwich? It doesn't need to be refrigerated and it can be very filling. And eaten quickly. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Agree! Definitely try to bring something ahead of time, or bring lots of snacks! Snacks are always a good idea. :smile: