Wedding Reception Forum

Venue Closed so RE Doing everything

Here we go-stressing bride:
Venue-CANCELLED Out and was sold so we are looking for a place to have an out door wedding in September of this year.  Fiance set the date so now to find a venue for it.  Looking at new locations now so this means nerves are going overtime and calling vendors and emailing others to get things together.  Least we got great vendors-SAVING GRACE for any bride.

Re: Venue Closed so RE Doing everything

• I hope things work out for you.  You might find a venue that is even better for your wedding, and you do have time.  Good luck!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I set the first date and now the venue is sold-I let him pick a tentative date and we are looking now.
  • I planned my own wedding in two months.  It can be done.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• I set the first date and now the venue is sold-I let him pick a tentative date and we are looking now.

Why would you set the date before you get your venue? What else have you booked? Your date is not your date until you have a venue.
  • Have you booked other vendors yet?  If not, you may want to be open to changing your date to accommodate the new venue (or they may be willing to change dates to work with you--doesn't hurt to ask).  You definitely need an indoor backup plan, even if it means renting a walled tent with heaters/AC (depending on where you are).  I was DETERMINED to have an outdoor ceremony, and it rained all damn month.  Luckily, our reception venue was gorgeous and had plenty of space for a ceremony!  
    If you need help thinking of venues, try posting on your local board for advice.

• levioosa said:

Here we go-stressing bride:
    Venue-CANCELLED Out and was sold so we are looking for a place to have an out door wedding in September of this year.  Fiance set the date so now to find a venue for it.  Looking at new locations now so this means nerves are going overtime and calling vendors and emailing others to get things together.  Least we got great vendors-SAVING GRACE for any bride.

If you are having a wedding--any wedding, you need to have a contingency plan for inclement weather. Depending on where you are the wedding could be beautiful, or it could be snowing. I live in Southern California and an outdoor September wedding could be beautiful and 78 degrees with a breeze, or (more likely), near the 100s. 

And are you saying you picked a date without a venue? That is so backwards. Pick a venue, book it, and then that is your date. 

So I think OP had everything set? (correct me if I'm wrong here) - vendors, venue, everything, but her venue closed/cancelled so now she has her vendors reserved for a specific date, but is trying to find a venue that is available on that same date so she doesn't have to switch everything around. 

OP I agree with PPs - you need to make sure you have a contingency plan for inclement weather or temps that are too hot/cold to be outdoors. Your guests' comfort should be the priority over your vision for an outdoor wedding. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Hold up. 

Are you the poster whose "wedding is in 5 weeks-July 22?  Are you the poster who was going to cancel and reschedule for the sake of an ill relative?  Are you the poster who just confirmed with all family and friends on June 17th that the wedding will go on as scheduled?

I'm very confused.
  • Yes, this is the bride who was having a fairy tale wedding on a lake.  It doesn't sound like this is happening now.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • MobKazMobKaz member

CMGragain said:

Yes, this is the bride who was having a fairy tale wedding on a lake.  It doesn't sound like this is happening now.

Her current date was set for 5 weeks from now.  Invitations have gone out. 

@knottieafc578b999766e15, I would think your first order of business would be to notify guests that the wedding has been postponed.  I would hope that the second order of business would be to check with VIP's regarding any and all new date considerations.  Your date, currently, has been switched from July to September.  I have no idea where you live, but I am guessing there would be some significant weather differences.  Please make sure that you have an indoor contingency plan with this next selection.

Why would you set the date before you get your venue? What else have you booked? Your date is not your date until you have a venue.

H and I set a date before we booked our venue. I don't really see what the problem is with that. 

H and I set a date before we booked our venue. I don't really see what the problem is with that. 

Yes, DD set a date before she had the reception venue. The church availablity determined the date. We had to work and find a reception venue that was available on that date
  • It really doesn't matter what you pick first, as long as you understand that choosing one thing limits your choices on another. If you pick a date first, you have to accept that you may not find a venue you love on that date. If you pick a venue you love, you may not have a date you love. And of course the guest list plays in, too. If you pick a date and a venue first, you have to have a guest list that works within that space, and may have VIPs not available on that date. And then of course there's budget, which is interrelated with the venue, the date, and the guest list!

For most people, but certainly not all, it goes
    1) budget, because money doesn't grow on trees,
    2) guest list, because who care's if you have a perfect event if the right people aren't there to witness and celebrate,
    3) venue, because there are a limited number of venues that will work with your budget, guest list, and vision, and
    4) date, because once you nail down the other 3 there's likely at least a couple dates available within your season of choice if you're planning with advance notice. 

Of course, if you're having a short engagement I would make "general date" more important than the venue, because you'll need to make sure they have some openings in a couple months (or weeks), and then you can nail down the exact date once you find out what those openings are. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member

MandyMost said:

It really doesn't matter what you pick first, as long as you understand that choosing one thing limits your choices on another. If you pick a date first, you have to accept that you may not find a venue you love on that date. If you pick a venue you love, you may not have a date you love. And of course the guest list plays in, too. If you pick a date and a venue first, you have to have a guest list that works within that space, and may have VIPs not available on that date. And then of course there's budget, which is interrelated with the venue, the date, and the guest list!

2) guest list, because who care's if you have a perfect event if the right people aren't there to witness and celebrate,
    3) venue, because there are a limited number of venues that will work with your budget, guest list, and vision, and
    4) date, because once you nail down the other 3 there's likely at least a couple dates available within your season of choice if you're planning with advance notice. 

Of course, if you're having a short engagement I would make "general date" more important than the venue, because you'll need to make sure they have some openings in a couple months (or weeks), and then you can nail down the exact date once you find out what those openings are. 

These suggestions may ring true if you are having a secular ceremony in the same venue as the reception.  In the case of our parish, absolutely nothing venue related is locked in until a date has been secured with the parish.  I am guessing that the same holds true for many other religious ceremonies.  The ceremony dictates everything else, in my opinion.  Even with secular ceremonies not being held at the reception venue, the time and place of the ceremony dictates the location and start time of the reception. 

I would have ceremony location be agenda item #3.

• MobKaz said:

MandyMost said:

It really doesn't matter what you pick first, as long as you understand that choosing one thing limits your choices on another. If you pick a date first, you have to accept that you may not find a venue you love on that date. If you pick a venue you love, you may not have a date you love. And of course the guest list plays in, too. If you pick a date and a venue first, you have to have a guest list that works within that space, and may have VIPs not available on that date. And then of course there's budget, which is interrelated with the venue, the date, and the guest list!

These suggestions may ring true if you are having a secular ceremony in the same venue as the reception.  In the case of our parish, absolutely nothing venue related is locked in until a date has been secured with the parish.  I am guessing that the same holds true for many other religious ceremonies.  The ceremony dictates everything else, in my opinion.  Even with secular ceremonies not being held at the reception venue, the time and place of the ceremony dictates the location and start time of the reception. 

When I say venue I mean the physical space where the event will take place. Some people have 2 venues: one for the ceremony, one for the reception. If getting married in your church is the most important thing for you, that's essentially picking a venue you love and accepting you may not get the date you want or have enough space for the guest list you want. I don't see how this is any different from what I wrote. 

• MandyMost said:

MobKaz said:

MandyMost said:

When I say venue I mean the physical space where the event will take place. Some people have 2 venues: one for the ceremony, one for the reception. If getting married in your church is the most important thing for you, that's essentially picking a venue you love and accepting you may not get the date you want or have enough space for the guest list you want. I don't see how this is any different from what I wrote. 

I think it's important to differentiate not for you necessarily but for brides who may not realize that if the religious ceremony must be in a house of worship then that needs to be booked first.   
  • MobKazMobKaz member

banana468 said:

MandyMost said:

MobKaz said:

MandyMost said:

I think it's important to differentiate not for you necessarily but for brides who may not realize that if the religious ceremony must be in a house of worship then that needs to be booked first.   

Additionally, I would never consider a house of worship a "venue". 

What you wrote specifies one venue.  That can and will almost certainly be misconstrued as the reception venue.  Although it can happen, a house of worship rarely impacts significantly on the budget, guest list, or vision.
  • Our ceremony and reception are at the same location and due to service dogs being present, we are looking for outside of houses of worship ( outdoors, locations like B and B Inns, small and intimate locations).  Now ANOTHER problem has hit us-I was just told that I maybe going to Colorado to get MY own service dog and be trained to maneuver  for 6 weeks so the date we had hoped for this time-NO GO!  Everything is going wrong that can go wrong!  We have started to think about eloping and after I return with my Service Dog, have an Affirmation of Vows Ceremony with all of our family and friends to help us celebrate not only love, but goals being achieved together-new independence for me and college degree graduation for him.  

We can't do the ceremony over the holidays and I may not be back til October and we were hoping for outdoors...but somehow we are going to make it work and if we have to use it-Army know how will be used by these 2 veterans!

• Our ceremony and reception are at the same location and due to service dogs being present, we are looking for outside of houses of worship ( outdoors, locations like B and B Inns, small and intimate locations).  Now ANOTHER problem has hit us-I was just told that I maybe going to Colorado to get MY own service dog and be trained to maneuver  for 6 weeks so the date we had hoped for this time-NO GO!  Everything is going wrong that can go wrong!  We have started to think about eloping and after I return with my Service Dog, have an Affirmation of Vows Ceremony with all of our family and friends to help us celebrate not only love, but goals being achieved together-new independence for me and college degree graduation for him.  

We can't do the ceremony over the holidays and I may not be back til October and we were hoping for outdoors...but somehow we are going to make it work and if we have to use it-Army know how will be used by these 2 veterans!

Sounds like you have some re-scheduling to do.  If invites have gone out, contact your guest list ASAP to notify that the wedding will not take place as planned.  
    I'm confused--did you want to have your wedding at a church, but they said you couldn't have service dogs there?  Legally, they can't bar a service dog as long as it is well-behaved.  I can understand being nervous about the behavior of your brand-new service dog, but if it's coming from a program (sounds like what you're doing), it shouldn't be much of an issue as it will have extensive training prior to meeting you.  
    Congratulations on getting your own service dog!  It sounds like you and FI have some big conversations coming up about how to proceed with the wedding now, and what's most important to both of you.  Good luck.
  • Affirmation of vows is just a PPD-- Pretty Princess Day. If you elope, just own that decision and don't have any sort of reenactment. People aren't that interested in seeing you do some sort of pretend wedding.
  • If you elope, that will be your wedding.  You don't get a re-do
    (affirmation of vows).  People attend weddings to see a couple actually
    get married, not to see them parade around and pretend.
    Service dogs are not a problem in churches.  If you want a church wedding, there is no reason not to have one.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg