Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Should I Say Anything?

So we used an aquaintance of ours as a photographer, because her work is good and her prices were very reasonable.  We don't hang out or anything like that, we just know her through a mutual hobby. 

On on the day she showed up super late. The first words out of her mouth were "I know this looks bad". She missed all of the getting ready. I mean I didn't care about that much because we got ready in a campground kitchen, but there was a fire going in the fireplace and my aunt was doing our hair and it would have been nice to have one or two pics of my MOH doing up my dress. Still, no biggie. 

But then our our first look got delayed by like an hour, and so we rushed through photos of the two of us, and all of them are super "typical posed photos" and I was hoping for less staged (which I had indeed communicated to her in our before-hand meeting)

So, that was disappointing. 

We did more photos later in the day, near the reception area, but I wish we had more in the primary location I picked (by the lake with the mountains in the background). All the bridal party photos are just us standing in the trees, and she took individual portraits of each member of the bridal party, which I thought was unnecessary (everyone was into it and having fun and so I let it go).

I wasn't terribly bothered until I started thinking about it over the past days since the whole thing. I already paid her of course, so I'm not sure if I should say anything or not bother. I am thinking this might be one of those "you get what you pay for" lessons (like the officiant we hired, which is a whole OTHER story, ugh)

Maybe I should wait to see the photos before I make a stink?  It's possible I will be thrilled with what we got and won't miss the shots I was hoping for.  It's just been one of the things that has kind of annoyed me in hindsight so I'm interested in opinions. 

Re: Should I Say Anything?

• You haven't even seen the photos yet. Just wait to see what she send back. 

Were you late for the first look because of her, or because you/your SO? I don't see where you can put blame on her for this. 

• You haven't even seen the photos yet. Just wait to see what she send back. 

Were you late for the first look because of her, or because you/your SO? I don't see where you can put blame on her for this. 

We were late because she was not there. H and I were both ready and waiting on her.  H was actually at the area where the first look was to happen for half an hour. When the photographer and I didn't show he got worried and came to where I was getting ready. Eventually she showed up and we went from there. 
  • When she and I had our pre-wedding meeting I gave her the schedule for the day. I said I would be getting ready starting at 7am and that we wanted to do our first look at 9am. She was fine with the day of schedule because she had to actually leave early the day of, and we paid for her (and her BF, who was also included as part of her stipulations) accommodations the night before so that she would be nearby.  I said of course she didn't have to be up at 7, and that if she arrived at 8:30 that would be fine. 

She didnt appear until just about 10am, and the ceremony was to start at 11am. So that's why the photos were late and then rushed. 

• When she and I had our pre-wedding meeting I gave her the schedule for the day. I said I would be getting ready starting at 7am and that we wanted to do our first look at 9am. She was fine with the day of schedule because she had to actually leave early the day of, and we paid for her (and her BF, who was also included as part of her stipulations) accommodations the night before so that she would be nearby.  I said of course she didn't have to be up at 7, and that if she arrived at 8:30 that would be fine. 

She didnt appear until just about 10am, and the ceremony was to start at 11am. So that's why the photos were late and then rushed. 

Ok, I understand. So she was the reason you ran late. Did you give you a reason as to why she was running behind? 

I would still wait until you see the pictures before you say anything. 

Ok, I understand. So she was the reason you ran late. Did you give you a reason as to why she was running behind? 

I would still wait until you see the pictures before you say anything. 

She didn't say anything to me, but my MOH was like "What the hell?" and the photographer told her that she took a sleeping pill the night before and didn't wake up to her alarm.
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I think what's done is done.  Especially if she is paid in full, what do you possibly gain by harping on this?  It's a bummer, but you have to just let it go.  Who knows, maybe the photos she got will be great.  Did a friend or family member snap any getting ready photos?

I want to know the officiant story!!!!!

• I would just add that I wouldn't tip her unless you REALLY like your pictures. Showing up 1.5 hours late is very unprofessional especially since you paid for her lodging so that she would be there on time.

• kaos16 said:

I think what's done is done.  Especially if she is paid in full, what do you possibly gain by harping on this?  It's a bummer, but you have to just let it go.  Who knows, maybe the photos she got will be great.  Did a friend or family member snap any getting ready photos?

I want to know the officiant story!!!!!

Basically the officiant called me the day before the wedding to let me know she had booked a second wedding 2 hours after ours, an hours drive away. Ok, that's within her right to do. 

But then, the MOH forgot to bring the marriage license, and the rings, with her to the ceremony area. So she had to race back to the campsite to get them. At 11:05 the officiant started threatening to leave if we didn't start IMMEDIATELY. 

So last second we cut every extraneous thing from the ceremony (no readings, no sword exchange, etc) and the bridesmaids basically sprinted down the aisle, with me right behind them. My brothers were preforming original music for the ceremony and I only got to hear about a minute worth because we had to hussle if we wanted to get married at all. I mean we did get married, but the whole thing was super rushed and that was unfortunate. 

She also completely flaked for our first meeting. She insisted we come all the way to her house (1.5 hours drive each way) to go over things beforehand, and when we got there, nobody was home. She didn't answer calls or emails. Hours later she emailed all apologetic and asked if we could reschedule. This was 2 weeks before the wedding, so I had to crazily reschedule some other stuff so that we could meet her the week before (H works out of town 4 days a week so that makes it more complicated to do things). 

Needless to say, overall I was underwhelmed by our whole experience with her.  I definitely wouldn't recommend her to others. Her time management skills are seriously lacking. 
  • @kwiksilver that sounds terrible! These things happen and at the end of the day no matter how upset you are, you have to remember the outcome. You married your man! Things never go the way you planned. It's just a fact. But, in the end, it worked out even if it wasn't the way you wanted it to go.

I hope your photos look great when you get them back!