Wedding Woes
Options

Recipe swap!

here are a couple of my favorite recent recipes. We basically survive on a bag of frozen chicken breast so there are serval chicken recipes. Big Shout out to Pinterest! Sorry for any weird formatting issues.

Please share your favorites and go tos! :)

Brown Sugar Pineapple Chicken

2# chicken breast, pounded thin 
1/4 Cup olive oil
2 teaspoon cornstarch

Marinade/Glaze
1 Cup CANNED Pineapple juice (the enzymes in fresh can breakdown the chicken)
1/3 Cup packed brown sugar
2 TBSP lemon juice
2 TBSP ketchup
2 TBSP red wine vinegar
2 TBSP low sodium soy sauce
1 TBSP djion mustard
1-2 tsp asian chili sauce
1 tsp EACH garlic pwdr, ginger pwdr, salt
1/2 tsp onion pwdr

Garnish (optional)
chopped green onion
lemon zest
additional chili sauce

Instructions:
1. whisk the Marinade/ Glaze ingredients togethers in a medium bowl. Add 1/3 Cup to a large freezer bag and Whisk in olive oil. Add the chicken, marinate 2-4 hours in the refrigerator. Refrigerate the remaining marinade (will become your glaze) separately.

2. When ready to cook, let the chicken sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes

3. Grill or cook on stovetop until chicken is cooked through.

4. Meanwhile, add reserve glaze to small sauce pan and whisk in 2 tsp of cornstarch. bring to a simmer and stir until thick.

5. (optional) Brush (or spoon) some glaze on the chicken and broil in the oven for a few minutes. Top with garnishes. Serve with Rice or veggies.

Personal Notes: I used 2 large ckn breasts cut in half instead of pounded.
I didn't have red wine vinegaar so used 50/50 ACV and rice vinegar. I don't really like soy sauce so I used Worcestershire instead. 

Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce

juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 1/4 tsp Mediterranean spiced sea salt (sea salt w/ Oregano)
1 1/2# chicken tenders
2 TBSP EVOO
1 Cup Tzatziki Sauce (recipe below)
4 slices flat Greek pita bread
Tomatoes sliced
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced

Tzatziki Sauce
1/2 cucumber, halved with skin and seeds removed
3/4 Cup low fat Greek yogurt
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 TBSP red wine vinegar
1 TBSP fresh dill, minced
Pinch of salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions:

1. Combine the lemon kuice, yogurt, and sea salt in a large bowl, add the chicken, tossing to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 30mins or overnight.

2. Heat 1TBSP of Olive oil in large non-stick skillet. Shake off the excess yogurt mixture before adding half of the chicken tenders to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes until browned, then flip and cook until cooked through. Transfer to a platter. Add more olive oil, cook the rest of the chicken.

Tzatziki Sauce:
Grate the cucumber, pressing the shreds between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Combine ingredients and store in fridge for upto 3 days.

Warm Pita Bread. Spread sauce on bread, add tomatoes, onions, and chicken. fold, eat, enjoy.
Personal Notes: I used the same frozen chicken breasts as I always do, cut into tender sized pieces. We added more veggies in our wraps.

Best Banana Brownie Bars
Food.com

Bars:
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Sour Cream (I almost always use Greek yogurt instead b/c that is what I have on hand)
1/2 Cup Softened Butter
2 eggs
3-4 Ripe Bananas, mashed
2 tsp Vanilla extract
2 Cups all- purpose Flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped (optional)

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
4 Cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 TBSP milk

Instruction:
1. Heat oven to 375, grease and flour an 8x11 cake pan. For bars, in a large bowl, beat together sugar, sour cream, butter, and eggs until creamy. Blend in bananas and vanilla extract. Add flour, baking soda, salt, and blend for 1 minute. Stir in walnuts (or whatever extras you want)

2. Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake 20- 25 minutes or until golden brown.

3. Meanwhile, for frosting, heat butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat until boiling. Let the butter turn a delicate brwn ad remove from heat immediately. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Whisk together until smooth (it should be thicker than a aze but thinner than frosting). Using a spatula. spread the the browned butter frosting over the warm bars (the frosting will be easier to spread while the bars are still warm).

Personal Notes: FROSTING IS VERY SWEET. 

Asian Spaghetti Salad

8oz spaghetti noodles
1 Cup thinly sliced cabbaged
2 green onions, chopped
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1/4  cup shredded carrots
1/2 Cup shelled edamame
2 TBSP sliced almonds
sesame seeds for topping
Ginger dressing:
1/2 Cup oil
1/4 Rice vinegar
3 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP brown sugar
2 tsp Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp Sesame oil

Instructions:
1. Whisk together all the Dressing ingredients. Boil spaghetti noddles til tender, drain, and set aside.

2. Combine Spaghetti, cabbage, green onions, avocados, carrots, edamame, and almonds. Add dressing to taste, toss to coat, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve. Alternatively, Chill for 1-3 hours before serving.

Lemon Chicken

4 boneless chicken breast
1/3 Cup lemon juice
1/4 honey
1 TBSP low sodium soy sauce
1 TBSP minced garlic
2 TBSP chopped parsley, divided
4 Bunches of asparagus, woody ends removed
1 Lemon, sliced to garish
Salt and Pepper

1. Preheat oven 200C/400F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil and arrange the chicken on the sheet. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Combine together the lemon juice, honey, soy sauce, garlic, half the parsley, salt and pepper. Pour 3/4 of the mixture over the chicken. Arrange the lemon slices over the top. Season with exter salt and pepper if desired.

3. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Arrange the asparagus around the chicken. pour the remaining honey mixture over the asparagus, season with salt and pepper. Return to oven to grill or broil until the chicken is golden and cooked through, and the asparagus is cooked. Garnish with remaining parsley.
Serve with rice or potatoes.
Personal Notes: I used my cake pan because I wanted the chicken to sit in the honey mixture. I  used a lot less asparagus and added baby potatoes. I am paranoid about dry chicken so I basted the chicken several times while cooking. 

Re: Recipe swap!

• Options
    I'll definitely try the banana brownie bars and Asian spaghetti salad!

I'll come back with some recipes when I'm fully awake.
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017

This is about the only recipe I know off the top of my head.  It takes a long time to cook, about an hour, but just a few minutes to prepare.  I'm a lazy cook, so that's my kind of recipe, lol.  It's delicious and flavorful, if you like the taste of soy sauce and vinegar.

Growing up, we called it "Filipino Chicken", but I learned as an adult that it is actually called Adobo.

• Chicken legs and/or thighs.  As much as you want and/or will fit in your big pot.
    • Apple cider vinegar.  Enough to fill your big pot 1/3 of the way up.
    • Soy sauce.  About one cup.
    • Minced garlic.  To taste, I usually use 2 tablespoons, but I like a lot.

Get out your big pot and put in the vinegar and soy sauce.  A normal sized "big pot" is fine.  Fill the rest of the pot, up to 3/4ths full total, with water.  Set to high heat and wait for the broth to boil.

Take the skin off the chicken, if that is your preference.  It's mine.  Though it does take longer to prepare that way.  Stab holes into the chicken with a fork, so the broth can seep in during cooking.

Once the broth is boiling, put the chicken and garlic in.  Lower to a simmer and cover.  Cook until chicken is no longer pink.  Usually about one hour.

If desired, server over rice.  The broth is good over rice also. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm very 'quick and easy' when it comes to making food.

Both of these recipes can be done on BBQ also ;)

Pork Chops:

Can be done as strips or full chop. {if you're doing strips, cut before mixing}
    Put in container with olive oil {or whatever kind you use - I believe we currently have vegetable oil tbh}
    Onion powder, garlic powder and steak spice. {Enough to have good mix}
    {note: if you don't have onion or garlic powder, Mrs Dash 'garlic & herb' also good}
    Let sit. Longer you marinate, the better.

Pan fry or BBQ - it will spit, so I enjoy bbq to avoid burns

Fish:
    {note: M actually did this first - best with white fish}

Cut onions and carrots into small pieces.
    Spread around the fish on tin foil.
    Drizzle lemon juice {bottle or fresh} on top
    Onion powder, garlic powder and dill weed.
    Flip. Repeat.

Cover fish tightly.

If in oven:
    350* for 30mins - do half, open the tin foil then rest of time.

Can also be done on bbq - varying times
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm a big crockpot person.  Tonight

Cherry pork loin
    2 cups apple juice or cider
    2 Tablespoons quick cook tapioca
    pork loin
    1 medium onion sliced
    1 bag cherry flavored cranberries (They're cheaper than real dried cherries)

Put it all in the crock pot and shake on salt, pepper, ground thyme.  Serve over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.

Not recipes, but my hack for potato side dishes.  My kids hate potatoes and I get sick of rice, but don't like to mess with potatoes for two.  Now I make big batches of twice baked potatoes, wrap and freeze (without the cheese), individually.  I also make huge batches of mashed potatoes and freeze flat in quart bags.  I get my potato fix without kids whining.
  • Options
    M's Meatball Recipe:
    {makes a lot - fyi}

Pack of meatballs {we get whatever is on sale}

Put in crockpot.
    Full bottle of Diana's bbq sauce - or your fave bbq sauce
    Half jar of Grape Jelly

3hrs on high in crockpot.
    Check and mix half way through.

There will be extra sauce, so make a side {best idea is rice} for it
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    THis isn't 'quick' --it's low work and easy.  But you do have to plan ahead.  (if you plan ahead, it's quick.)--but I finally made a whole chicken and it was ass-kicking awesome.  (I did not have fresh herbs, but dried worked fine.  2nd time I didn't have feta, used garlic, not quite as good, still good)

https://food52.com/recipes/69859-melissa-clark-s-feta-brined-roast-chicken

ounces feta cheese, crumbled

• 3 1/2

teaspoons kosher salt

• One

3 1/2- to 4-pound whole chicken

• 1 to 2

tablespoons cracked black pepper, to taste

tablespoons dried Greek oregano

large lemons

• 1/4

cup olive oil, plus more as needed

large bunch arugula or other sturdy salad greens, for serving

1. The day before serving, combine 2 ounces feta, 2
      teaspoons salt, and 4 cups water in a blender and blend until smooth.
      Put chicken in an extra-large resealable plastic bag or a container
      large enough to submerge chicken, and cover with the feta brine.
      Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.

2. Before cooking, remove chicken from brine and transfer
      to a paper towel-lined tray. (Discard brine.) Pat chicken dry with
      paper towels and allow to come to room temperature for 1 hour.

3. In a small mixing bowl, combine remaining 1 1/2
      teaspoons salt, the pepper, the oregano, and the zest of the lemons
      (about 1 tablespoon). Liberally cover chicken in herb mix and gently
      massage entire bird. Halve lemons and place 3 halves in cavity (save
      remaining half for serving). Using kitchen twine, tie legs together.

4. Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Place a large ovenproof
      skillet over high heat. Add oil and heat until it just smokes. Place
      chicken, breast-side up, in pan. Transfer entire pan to oven. Cook,
      basting once or twice, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the
      fleshy part of the thigh reads 165 degrees F and the juices run clear
      when chicken is pierced with a knife, 50 to 60 minutes.

5. Remove pan from oven, then stir remaining crumbled
      feta into juices in pan and stir well. Let chicken rest for 10 minutes
      in the pan before carving and serving on a bed of greens, with
      feta-laced pan juices on top, drizzled with a little lemon juice from
      the reserved lemon half.

• Options
    Tonight was Steak Stirfry:

1lb steak strips, cooked
    2 cups cooked rice (we use brown minute rice)

1 bag frozen oriental vegetables (about 4 cups of veggies, if you want different ones.

Add veggies and rice to steak and cook a little till veggies thaw some.  Add sauce:

1/2 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup canola/vegetable oil
    1 tsp Stevia (or some other sweetener)

Let simmer down.  Makes 4 servings and it's low cal

Tomorrow - Chicken Catchetorie

You can make this in the oven (about 80 mins at 325F, I think, or I've started using the crockpot (6-8 hours on low.  Chicken basically gets shredded this way).  I just add the peppers about 1 hour before it's ready to eat so they don't get mushy

4 chicken breasts
    2 regular cans diced tomatoes (we use garlic/herb flavoured ones) or 1 large can
    1 can tomato paste
    3 cloves garlic
    3tbps fresh basil
    oregano, pepper, parsley to taste
    3 bell peppers (we use red/orange/yellow)

Mix sauce and add chicken and peppers to cook in the oven.  Turn over chicken every 20 mins or so.  Add peppers later if cooking in the crockpot

1/2 cup cooked pasta per person, top with some cheese. Makes 4 servings.  

This one is a ton of food, but also a recipe we used while on our food plan, so actually pretty low cal.  It's hard to finish sometimes and lots of people used to ask me how I got to eat so much food when I was on a 'diet'.  

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    I do something similar with the chicken cacciatore but add mushrooms, carrots,and zucchini. 
  • Options
    I wish I hadn't lost track of the recipe site we had going 10 years ago.  I still have the blogs and Ww stories, though.
  • Options

6fsn said:

I'm a big crockpot person.  Tonight

Cherry pork loin
    2 cups apple juice or cider
    2 Tablespoons quick cook tapioca
    pork loin
    1 medium onion sliced
    1 bag cherry flavored cranberries (They're cheaper than real dried cherries)

Put it all in the crock pot and shake on salt, pepper, ground thyme.  Serve over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.

Not recipes, but my hack for potato side dishes.  My kids hate potatoes and I get sick of rice, but don't like to mess with potatoes for two.  Now I make big batches of twice baked potatoes, wrap and freeze (without the cheese), individually.  I also make huge batches of mashed potatoes and freeze flat in quart bags.  I get my potato fix without kids whining.

Do you think it matters that I didn't buy quick cook tapioca? All I found was regular tapioca.
  • Options
    While on the Walmart website.

https://www.walmart.ca/recipecenter

I've printed out a couple to see how they are, but they look pretty simple :)
  • Options
    @kimmiinthemitten, that Greek Turkey Burger sounds awesome!  I'm sure it will be obvious when I know the answer and I'll be kicking myself, lol.  But what is "S&P"?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@kimmiinthemitten, that Greek Turkey Burger sounds awesome!  I'm sure it will be obvious when I know the answer and I'll be kicking myself, lol.  But what is "S&P"?

Salt n Pepper.  The seasoning, not the rap group from the 90's, sadly.
  • Options

push it!
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    @DrillSergeantCat it should not matter. It just thickens the sauce. 
  • Options

push it!

couldn't resist  :D
  • Options

push it!

couldn't resist  :D

I love you lmfao :')
  • Options

6fsn said:

@DrillSergeantCat it should not matter. It just thickens the sauce. 

I messed it up. I didn't add onions because I didn't feel like cutting them. I didn't get the rest of the recipe so I didn't realize I was supposed to add salt, pepper, and thyme. I sprinkled the tapioca on top and it didn't get down to the juice. So I had an apple flavored pork loin. Still wasn't bad and will try again correctly.
  • Options
    We recently purchased a Tagine dish and have cooked the following a few times now. Absolutely love it and am needing to try more recipes. Thinking of a fish Tagine next... 

http://www.thekitchn.com/moroccan-recipe-chicken-tagine-with-apricots-almonds-chickpeas-recipes-from-the-kitchn-175757 

We cook it slightly differently - use chicken breast rather than leg/thigh, cook the chickpeas and apricots with the chicken in the Tagine dish and put the almonds in the couscous. 
    Also, we add currants and fresh coriander (cilantro?) to the couscous. 

Chicken Tagine with Apricots, Almonds & Chickpeas

Serves 6 to 8

Olive oil
    3 pounds chicken legs and thighs (about 4 each)
    1 yellow onion, diced
    1 carrot, peeled and diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1-inch piece ginger root, peeled and minced
    1 teaspoon coriander
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 cup dried couscous
    1/2 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
    1 tablespoon honey
    1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
    2 cups (1 15-oz can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons cilantro, optional, for serving

Warm one tablespoon of oil in a large Dutch oven (at least 5 1/2-quarts) or tagine over medium-high heat until the oil flows easily and you can see it shimmering. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, and place as many as will fit into the pan without crowding. Sear for 5 to 8 minutes, flipping once, until both sides are golden brown. Remove to a clean plate and continue searing the rest of the chicken pieces. If necessary, add more oil to keep a thin film on the bottom of the pan. If the oil starts smoking, turn down the heat.

Pour off all but a teaspoon of oil and return the pan to medium heat. Sauté the onions and carrots with a half teaspoon of salt until softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle the ginger and spices over top and cook until fragrant, another minute.

Stir the chicken stock and apricots into the pan, scraping up any seared bits that might be stuck to the bottom of the pan. Nestle the chicken pieces into the pan; try to fit them in a single layer, but it's ok if some pieces overlap.

Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and cook for 50-60 minutes. The tagine is ready when the chicken registers 165° on an instant-read thermometer in the thickest part of the meat and when its juices run clear.

While the chicken is cooking, prepare the couscous and set aside. (See: How to Cook Couscous)

Transfer the cooked chicken to a clean plate and tent with foil. Add the honey, almonds, and chickpeas to the pan with the apricots and onions, and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring the stew to a rapid simmer and cook until it has thickened slightly. Taste the sauce and add salt if necessary.

To serve, spread the cooked couscous on a serving platter and arrange the chicken pieces on top. Ladle the stew over top, making sure the chicken pieces each get a good coating. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.

Leftover chicken tagine will keep refrigerated for up to a week.

• Options
    I like crockpot meals.

Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo

Start with the roux: combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup oil in a saucepan and cook over low-medium heat til it's the color, texture, and smell of dark chocolate, about 1/2 hour. (Yes, it's a PITA but the only way this thing tastes right)

Brown Andouille or smoked sausage and cook 1in pieces of chicken or use pre-cooked. Add this to roux with 1 cup water and frozen veggies, some mix that includes okra. Cook on Low 8hrs or High 4hrs.

In the final 30 min, add frozen shrimp and prep plain rice. Serve gumbo over rice.