Wedding Etiquette Forum

Kids@ the wedding dilemma

hello all,

so I decided I do not want kids under 18 at the wedding. I would like to have FH niece who is 5 and will be 6 for the wedding. The problem arises because the parents are having a second child and I do not want infants at the wedding. Is there a proper way to address this?

thank you

Re: Kids@ the wedding dilemma

• You won't even notice the infant, who will probably sleep most of the time, at the wedding. Just let him come; it'd be rude not to. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think that if you don't want the infant there, I would declare the whole event adults-only (just not on the invitations) and not invite any children. A completely no-children event will go over far better (and be polite) than inviting the older child and not the infant.
  • How old will the infant be by the time of your wedding? I've been to a few weddings with tiny babies and barely noticed them. The parents may also choose to have a babysitter for just the infant OR bring none of their kids. 
  • What @banana468 and others said!  It's an "All or nothing" invite, never break up families.  Honestly, if I was still in the EP phase with a LO, sucks to not be there, but nope, not going to your wedding because it's a shi**y thing to do to a sibling.  And 20 minutes to pump - try 45-50 for the slow letdown producers in the crowd.  

Another thought - These are your your/FI's siblings' kids (Your nieces & nephews, not random fourth cousin removed), invite them.  It's not worth the drama this will likely create within the core family nor asking a FSIL/FBIL to make the choice to stay home or attend their sibling's wedding (each parent decides when they're comfortable leaving the child with a sitter outside of family since all their family options will likely be at the wedding).  
  • hello all sorry for the delayed response.  I had trouble trying to locate my original post ..as crazy as that sounds.

I agree that it is an all or nothing type of situation. I appreciate everyone's response! We are still undecided at this point if we are going to have a flower girl.

thanks all!